Wrapped the front pipes ... - Honda Rebel 300 & 500 Forum
 7Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-26-2018, 03:47 AM Thread Starter

Wrapped the front pipes ...

Took a bit of patience, time and my wifeís help.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
illec and Showmeguy66 like this.
post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-26-2018, 06:26 PM

Looks awesome! I've been looking to do the same to mine as well. How much length did it take you? Is one 50ft roll enough?
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-27-2018, 12:46 AM

That looks awesome! Very nice job! Do you have to take the exhaust off to wrap it?
post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-27-2018, 04:55 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by illec View Post
Looks awesome! I've been looking to do the same to mine as well. How much length did it take you? Is one 50ft roll enough?

Thank you, yes 50ft is more then enough, thereís a lot of choice, go for quality rather then cost ...

post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-27-2018, 04:58 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captainhoffman View Post
That looks awesome! Very nice job! Do you have to take the exhaust off to wrap it?

I was going to take off the exhaust, however I needed new gaskets, so I just wrapped it straight on, itís not that difficult, makes a difference to the sound and performance too.

post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-27-2018, 07:06 AM

I'm a complete newbie....why would someone wrap the exhaust? To keep rocks from hitting the exhaust pipes? What difference would it have in performance? Tone...definitely. But performance.....I don't see how. (but will leave the door open for someone to explain it to me.)
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-27-2018, 08:36 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohio Newbie View Post
I'm a complete newbie....why would someone wrap the exhaust? To keep rocks from hitting the exhaust pipes? What difference would it have in performance? Tone...definitely. But performance.....I don't see how. (but will leave the door open for someone to explain it to me.)

Thereís loads of content out there on wrapping exhausts, have a look on YouTube. I am no expert, but basically it keeps the heat in, which helps with the performance, now I am not saying itís massively making a difference, but it gives a lot more base and a growl to the sound, I did it more for the look I am going for

post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-27-2018, 11:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricky View Post
but basically it keeps the heat in, which helps with the performance

That's the theory?

I'm the son of a mechanical engineer and I've picked up a few things over the years. (Dad worked as an engineer for GM in the 50's-60's, and was still an engineer into the 80's.) Even though he passed away last year, I can hear him chuckling at this. (as if to poke fun at me for even asking him about it) Keeping the heat in?? But it's post compression chamber, it shouldn't make any difference. I did a google search and read that the theory is hot air is less dense, and therefore flows faster. I'll agree, but were talking about short distances and not under much pressure. Yes, the air flow 'could' be slightly increased, but it's irrelevant compared to the power of the upstroke of the cylinder pushing the exhaust out of the engine. I think this concept exists to sell pipe wrap. And who's to say the pipes/muffler can take the increased heat? (Probably not an issue, but dad always made me search out the 'what ifs'.

Going for a certain look? Absolutely! Changing the tone of the motorcycle? Absolutely! Wanting to keep the heat off the rider? Absolutely! But I don't agree with the increase in power. Yes, it's possible it could increase power...but it would be such a small amount no rider could ever tell. I would think we're talking about fractions of horsepower. (fractions of fractions)

I don't wish to step on any toes or insult people or get in any internet fights. (so please don't take it that way...as often can happen on the internets)
01-7700, Kenny G, Odin and 2 others like this.
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-27-2018, 12:31 PM

Less heat soak = better performance. It's not going to be a huge difference but keeping heat away from the engine is usually always a good thing.
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-27-2018, 02:26 PM

Garage
Might I ask what seat that is you put on there and what you think of it? It looks like just what I'm after for mine.

-slightlyREBEL

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page