Let's talk insurance... - Page 2 - Honda Rebel 300 & 500 Forum
 6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 38 (permalink) Old 08-30-2017, 09:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CGrazFL View Post
I have Allstate. Full coverage with a $500 dollar deductible, I pay 39.00 a month. I also have my Home & Auto with them too. I'm 43 with an "almost" spotless record. Geico and Progressive both quoted me a few bucks less for motorcycle insurance, but I've been dealing with the same guy at Allstate for about 20 years so I decided to keep everything with one company.

-CG
I'm paying the same amount $39/month through State Farm. Likewise I use them for Home & Auto, 28 years old though. Full coverage, Chicago IL.
post #12 of 38 (permalink) Old 08-30-2017, 09:24 AM

I left Allstate nearly a decade ago due to their outrageous price increases. Every 6 month renewal cycle, our premiums would go up like $15 or $20.

Wife and I both had clean driving records, no claims, both vehicles were paid off... yet if we had renewed again, it was gonna cost us $185 per month.

I asked our agent what the deal was... why does it keep going up? He said that's just how insurance works.

So I got a quote from Geico, same exact coverage down to the penny for $104 per month... that's almost $1K per year less than what we were paying Allstate.

Now nearly a decade later, we both are financing newer vehicles (2014 Kia Sportage for the wife, 2016 Chevy Silverado for me) and we're paying around $140 per month. I can just imagine what we'd be paying Allstate now if we were still with them...

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk

2017 Honda Rebel 500 - Black
post #13 of 38 (permalink) Old 08-30-2017, 10:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CueBaller View Post
I left Allstate nearly a decade ago due to their outrageous price increases. Every 6 month renewal cycle, our premiums would go up like $15 or $20.

Wife and I both had clean driving records, no claims, both vehicles were paid off... yet if we had renewed again, it was gonna cost us $185 per month.

I asked our agent what the deal was... why does it keep going up? He said that's just how insurance works.

So I got a quote from Geico, same exact coverage down to the penny for $104 per month... that's almost $1K per year less than what we were paying Allstate.

Now nearly a decade later, we both are financing newer vehicles (2014 Kia Sportage for the wife, 2016 Chevy Silverado for me) and we're paying around $140 per month. I can just imagine what we'd be paying Allstate now if we were still with them...

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk
Good to know, my state farm agent moved and the new agent is horrible. Tried comparing with all state and was similar pricing, will give Geico a shot.
post #14 of 38 (permalink) Old 09-01-2017, 05:36 PM

I'm in CO, 56 yo, spotless record and I pay roughly $300 per year through American Modern Ins. The coverages are way better than Progressive or Geico. Not all insurance is available everywhere though. I've seen postings on another forum about Dairyland Insurance having good rates. I use an independent agent and they're really good about shopping around and finding the best rate. Make some calls.
post #15 of 38 (permalink) Old 09-01-2017, 09:11 PM

Garage
Mine is currently at $18/month but if I were to pay it all at once it would be somewhere in the $11-$12 range. Progressive and full coverage w/ $500 deductible.

Nathanielcatch
post #16 of 38 (permalink) Old 09-03-2017, 01:35 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by NathanielCatch View Post
Mine is currently at $18/month but if I were to pay it all at once it would be somewhere in the $11-$12 range. Progressive and full coverage w/ $500 deductible.
That's a good deal IMO! Of course there are fewer drivers (uninsured and otherwise) in Utah. Plus maybe they consider you won't be driving the bike for 1/3 of the year as well.

--Honda Rebel 500--
post #17 of 38 (permalink) Old 11-01-2017, 12:40 PM

I have Geico for car and home owners insurance so i stuck with them for my motorcycle insurance as well. For some reason I am paying a lot more than most of you. Even if i am a new rider, i didn't think it would be that high. I am 36 with a clean driving record. I also got my discount for multiple policies and MSF course. Below is my coverage plan and cost.

How does it stack up against what you guy got?

• 12 Month premium $575 - $52 a month
  • Bodily Injury Liability - $15,000/$30,000
  • Property Damage Liability - $10,000
  • Uninsured Motorist Bodily Injury - $15,000/$30,000
  • Under insured Motorist - $15,000/$30,000
  • Comprehensive/Collision Deductible - $500
post #18 of 38 (permalink) Old 11-03-2017, 08:17 AM

Garage
MrEmptyWallet,

Obviously I don't know the details of your insurance policies, but here's something you may want to ask about: My Allstate Agent gave me the option to put the uninsured motorist coverage on my motorcycle policy (would have been more $$) or I had the option to stack it on my car policy for a few bucks less. He gave me a long explanation as to how it works, but most of that insurance talk is way over my head. The bottom line was I am covered for uninsured motorist in my car or on my bike, and it was less money than putting it on the motorcycle policy. Ask about it, it could save you a few bucks!

I pay 39.00 a month with Allstate (annual is 457.00)

Bodily Injury/Liability: 50,000/100,000
Property Damage Liability: 50,000
Collision Deductible: 500
Comprehensive Deductible: 250
Optional Equipment: 1,000

-CG
post #19 of 38 (permalink) Old 11-03-2017, 04:28 PM

Insurance with Swann insurance.
$300 per year for the Rebel
Australian insurance can be expensive but this was pretty good.
Gets cheaper next year after I do my Defensive riding course in December
Fletch likes this.
post #20 of 38 (permalink) Old 11-07-2017, 11:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mremptywallet View Post
I have Geico for car and home owners insurance so i stuck with them for my motorcycle insurance as well. For some reason I am paying a lot more than most of you. Even if i am a new rider, i didn't think it would be that high. I am 36 with a clean driving record. I also got my discount for multiple policies and MSF course. Below is my coverage plan and cost.

How does it stack up against what you guy got?

• 12 Month premium $575 - $52 a month
  • Bodily Injury Liability - $15,000/$30,000
  • Property Damage Liability - $10,000
  • Uninsured Motorist Bodily Injury - $15,000/$30,000
  • Under insured Motorist - $15,000/$30,000
  • Comprehensive/Collision Deductible - $500
As stated above, I also have Geico (motorcycle, wife's SUV, my truck and home owner's insurance). Here's my motorcycle coverage breakdown for comparison, as well as the amount each adds to the premium:
  • 12 Month premium $108
  • Bodily Injury Liability - $25,000/$50,000 ($25)
  • Property Damage Liability - $20,000 ($11)
  • Uninsured Motorist Bodily Injury - $25,000/$50,000 ($39)
  • Comprehensive/Collision Deductible - $500 ($33)

Coverage wise, I have higher coverage amounts than you, but don't have the under insured coverage... though I'd guess that would cost even less than uninsured motorist coverage, which is only $39 per year.

I'm 5 years older than you (41), so possibly in a different price bracket. And I'm married (are you?) which I think is another factor (single people are statistically riskier than married people).

Those are the only factors where we might differ that I can think of... otherwise I have a clean driving record, new rider, MSF course, multiple policies, etc.

2017 Honda Rebel 500 - Black

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page