Rear Brake Pedal Replacement - Honda Rebel 300 & 500 Forum
 2Likes
  • 2 Post By JimInOz

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 04-04-2018, 11:36 PM Thread Starter

Send a message via Skype™ to jperez260
Rear Brake Pedal Replacement

Has anyone replace their rear brake pedal. I got a new one on order but I cannot find any info on how to install. My worry is more about the return spring. Those springs can be difficult so was wondering if anyone had a crack at that yet and could lend some tips...
post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 04-05-2018, 02:26 AM

Garage
It shouldn't be too hard. It helps if there are two people, one to assists/hold things.

Just remove the two rear 8x32 socket bolts to let the whole brake assembly come away from the bike and support it so it doesn't pull on wires/hoses.

Undo the two 6x22mm socket bolts holding the brake master cylinder to the brake pedal frame assy. The brake pedal will now want to go up a bit with the spring pressure. Let it go until the brake cylinder rod/clevis is clear.

Remove the split pin at the front end of the master cylinder rod and then remove the clevis pin with the funny shaped head.

Remove the big circlip from the pedal axle and pull the brake pedal off. While doing this, just turn it a bit to release the brake light switch spring from the pedal arm.

Fit the new one in the reverse order, make sure spring tabs are engaged properly in their holes and then re-fit the washer and circlip.
Push the brake pedal down against spring pressure until you can fit the clevis pin through the pedal arm and the brake cylinder rod, fit a new split pin and bolt the brake cylinder assembly back onto the frame and torque it up It helps if another pair of hands holds the brake pedal down so you can fit the two bolts.

Make sure the two 6x22 bolts are torqued up and the clevis/split pin are OK and the circlip is properly seated.

Now fit the whole brake assy to the frame, insert and torque the 2 8x32 bolts.

Check everything for correct operation and you're done.

Note, you should use new circlips/split pins but in a pinch you can use the originals.

Let me know if you need any more help.

Cheers

Jim

Kenny G and Lyoko like this.
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 04-05-2018, 07:56 AM

Garage
I know this is a quick post but this might be a good post to sticky since I'm sure there will be more bent brake pedals in the future. JimInOz laid it all out all nice and concise.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page