Raising the rebel suspension - Honda Rebel 300 & 500 Forum
 9Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-20-2017, 11:22 PM Thread Starter

Raising the rebel suspension

Hey guys so I recently saw a custom 500 where they raised the suspension I really like how it looked and had so.e questions about the pros and cons s of this mod. Here is a pic I'll add the link to the video I originally saw it in later on.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	740_IMG_7899_1508556150734.jpg
Views:	401
Size:	215.4 KB
ID:	10745  
Kenny G likes this.
post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-21-2017, 03:17 AM

Garage
Not my cuppa tea, looks like they hit a nice 500 with the ugly stick.

If you want a safe and sure ride, go with what Honda designed to meet international standards.

If you want looks, go for that or buy a bike that already looks like that.

Disclaimer: The views and opinions expressed in this reply are those of the author and do not necessarily reflect the official policy or position of Honda Motors or Honda Rebel 3 Forum.com. Opinions within this article are only opinions. They should not be relied upon as a reason to modify or not modify a motorcycle in real-world situations as they are based only on only one person's viewpoint.
Comments made within the context of the reply are not reflective of the position of any motorcycle modification entity.
Kenny G likes this.
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-21-2017, 04:18 AM
Super Moderator

Garage
Ah yes, the child designed bike! We have discussed this bike before.
As for pros and cons..? Um, not sure how to answer when one would need the knowledge and experience from such a mod. I can only guess that if you plan on taking the bike off road alot, then sure, go for it.
Kenny G likes this.

Lyoko - Black Rebel 500
post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-21-2017, 09:53 AM
Super Moderator

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferndois View Post
Hey guys so I recently saw a custom 500 where they raised the suspension I really like how it looked and had so.e questions about the pros and cons s of this mod. Here is a pic I'll add the link to the video I originally saw it in later on.
The Bike shed London I believe.
I follow the bike shed on another forum, some great classic bikes, I may make a visit to thier venue when I go back home sometime.
Kenny G likes this.

Twizz
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-21-2017, 06:08 PM
Super Moderator

Garage
Here is a good example. If I were looking to buy a used R3 Rebel would I pay more for this one or less compared to a bone stock model? I would expect to pay less because to restore it back to it's previous condition and expected function would cost money plus what damage has occurred as a result of the mods? This one seems mild in mods but it's something I would consider.
Twizzian likes this.

Keith from Maine USA - Rebel R1

Last edited by 01-7700; 10-21-2017 at 06:11 PM.
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-22-2017, 05:01 AM
Super Moderator

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 01-7700 View Post
Here is a good example. If I were looking to buy a used R3 Rebel would I pay more for this one or less compared to a bone stock model? I would expect to pay less because to restore it back to it's previous condition and expected function would cost money plus what damage has occurred as a result of the mods? This one seems mild in mods but it's something I would consider.
I agreed with you, but at the same time, would such a thought stop _me_ from doing something with _my_ bike? No, definitely not. If I wanna do something with my bike, I'm gonna do it, regardless of anything else (will ofc stay within laws and regulations) And that's how it should be for everyone. Do as the heart desires.
So go get your bloody rims painted white Twizz!

And then again Keith, someone might just come across this modded Rebel and think "Man that looks rad compaired to a stock, I want this!!" Everyone view things different, for some it may be worth it's weight in gold, while others find it to be worth scrap.

Lyoko - Black Rebel 500
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-22-2017, 06:53 AM
Super Moderator

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lyoko-Code View Post
I agreed with you, but at the same time, would such a thought stop _me_ from doing something with _my_ bike? No, definitely not. If I wanna do something with my bike, I'm gonna do it, regardless of anything else (will ofc stay within laws and regulations) And that's how it should be for everyone. Do as the heart desires.
So go get your bloody rims painted white Twizz!

And then again Keith, someone might just come across this modded Rebel and think "Man that looks rad compaired to a stock, I want this!!" Everyone view things different, for some it may be worth it's weight in gold, while others find it to be worth scrap.
I agree. Someone might want what you have created, more often they want to recreate it themselves on a stock bike. It's not that you shouldn't change your bike, do whatever pleases you. My point was that when you go to sell it's less likely to have a market if it has been modified.

Paint those rims Twizzian, I want to see what it looks like.
Kenny G and Lyoko like this.

Keith from Maine USA - Rebel R1
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-22-2017, 08:10 PM Thread Starter

So far I love the 500. I think was the perfect starter bike for me. Tame enough to forgive some newbie mistakes and even the itch to give it all the throttles. But as a new rider I'm ki d over learning the riding style am developing doesn't fit the bike perfectly or at least not all the time. I like look of the bike love the tank shape and the blacked out frame and engine. But I'm finding I often scrape peg around corners and I find it lacking in the suspension department. I thought raising g the rear shocks might alleviate both issues. But how will this affect the bikes handling. From what I understand raising the back reduces the rake which should make it feel lighter. But I wanted to tap into some forum wisdom
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-22-2017, 09:06 PM

Garage
Ferndois,

If you are a new rider and you are scraping the pegs you better find some experienced riders to ride with and watch how they negotiate corners.

I have about 2000 miles on my Rebel 500 and have not yet scraped the pegs.

If you haven't taken a safety course it is time to do so....

Kenny G
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-23-2017, 12:27 AM Thread Starter

Thanks for the tip Kenny I'm planning to especially since I know Honda re imburses $70 or $80 dollars of it
Kenny G likes this.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page