Update: Ohlins Front and Rear Suspension now Installed - Honda Rebel 300 & 500 Forum
 25Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 27 (permalink) Old 05-20-2019, 02:58 PM Thread Starter

Update: Ohlins Front and Rear Suspension now Installed

(A while ago I saw a guy post on here about him getting full Ohlins setup, (fork springs and piggy backs) he posted pictures and everyone wanted to know his opinion on them. Then just never replied back to the group ever again. It was 100% the biggest tease of this forum I've encounter yet, with that being said I couldn't take it anymore and bought my own set, so here's my opinion about them so far.... and i actually hope that guy is okay now that I'm thinking about it.)

I got my Ohlins piggy back rear suspension now and they're pretty nice, the adjustable features are really amazing but a bit overwhelming. I was a lot more impressed with the changing the front suspension, I'd recommend everyone change their fork springs right now.

The backs weren't as much of a change honestly also I could of 100% gotten the non piggy back version and been completely happy, oh well though. My expensive mistake is your warning i guess lol.

I eventually put my bike rack (yes a bicycle rack on my motorcycle) on and rode around town and noticed a huge difference so if you're planning on riding 2 up you may want to look into the piggy backs, for me i could of gotten away with the non piggy back version as my bike isn't that heavy. and I weigh 180lbs.

They look good though, now I'm extra afraid of leaving my bike anywhere out of sight, lol. It sounds dumb but i want to cover the gold canisters with stickers or a black vinyl cover. They look to flashy and they're just begging for someone to steal them. (I didn't consider this before buying it but seeing it on the side of my bike just got my mind racing to the worst)

Install took literally 3 minutes, finding a good setting took multiple rides and I'm still not sure i have it right. I'm going to call a Ohlins distro and see if they can help me out, but I've tried every single combination of low spring compression, high rebound, yada, yada, you name it. It all sort of feels the same to me. better than stock in every setting but not as great of a change as the fronts made, that may just be the nature of rear shocks honestly. It's nice being able to change everything up though without any tools though.

The front shocks were an Immense improvement in handling, stopping, every aspect of riding the bike changed and felt so much better. I feel like it has made my motorcycle a lot safer, sometimes things could get pretty scary going through a pretty big pot hole, but now it charges through everything. (not saying I'm making a habit of it but i want to feel in control when it happens)

Hope this helps anyone that's curious if it's worth it or not. if you have any questions let me know. I'll actually reply.

Also i took off my belly fairing I'm not sure if i like it or not what do you think?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ohlins rear.jpg
Views:	101
Size:	368.3 KB
ID:	28117   Click image for larger version

Name:	ohlins rear 2.jpg
Views:	122
Size:	383.2 KB
ID:	28119  
Kenny G, Twizzian, Lyoko and 3 others like this.

2016 Rebel 500 non ABS
post #2 of 27 (permalink) Old 05-20-2019, 03:27 PM
SLI

Thanks for the review!
Kenny G and dsctr3 like this.
post #3 of 27 (permalink) Old 05-22-2019, 02:26 AM

Garage
Great review, very informative and priceless info there, thanks buddy.
post #4 of 27 (permalink) Old 05-22-2019, 10:20 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyinbrianbmx View Post
(A while ago I saw a guy post on here about him getting full Ohlins setup, (fork springs and piggy backs) he posted pictures and everyone wanted to know his opinion on them. Then just never replied back to the group ever again. It was 100% the biggest tease of this forum I've encounter yet, with that being said I couldn't take it anymore and bought my own set, so here's my opinion about them so far.... and i actually hope that guy is okay now that I'm thinking about it.)

I got my Ohlins piggy back rear suspension now and they're pretty nice, the adjustable features are really amazing but a bit overwhelming. I was a lot more impressed with the changing the front suspension, I'd recommend everyone change their fork springs right now.

The backs weren't as much of a change honestly also I could of 100% gotten the non piggy back version and been completely happy, oh well though. My expensive mistake is your warning i guess lol.

I eventually put my bike rack (yes a bicycle rack on my motorcycle) on and rode around town and noticed a huge difference so if you're planning on riding 2 up you may want to look into the piggy backs, for me i could of gotten away with the non piggy back version as my bike isn't that heavy. and I weigh 180lbs.

They look good though, now I'm extra afraid of leaving my bike anywhere out of sight, lol. It sounds dumb but i want to cover the gold canisters with stickers or a black vinyl cover. They look to flashy and they're just begging for someone to steal them. (I didn't consider this before buying it but seeing it on the side of my bike just got my mind racing to the worst)

Install took literally 3 minutes, finding a good setting took multiple rides and I'm still not sure i have it right. I'm going to call a Ohlins distro and see if they can help me out, but I've tried every single combination of low spring compression, high rebound, yada, yada, you name it. It all sort of feels the same to me. better than stock in every setting but not as great of a change as the fronts made, that may just be the nature of rear shocks honestly. It's nice being able to change everything up though without any tools though.

The front shocks were an Immense improvement in handling, stopping, every aspect of riding the bike changed and felt so much better. I feel like it has made my motorcycle a lot safer, sometimes things could get pretty scary going through a pretty big pot hole, but now it charges through everything. (not saying I'm making a habit of it but i want to feel in control when it happens)

Hope this helps anyone that's curious if it's worth it or not. if you have any questions let me know. I'll actually reply.

Also i took off my belly fairing I'm not sure if i like it or not what do you think?

Could you post links to where you got the front springs and rear shocks?

As long as I still get excited to go for a ride, I'll be riding. In the end it may be a moped, but I'll still be riding.

You only have today, go for a ride

Ride and be Free

2018 Rebel 300
post #5 of 27 (permalink) Old 05-22-2019, 12:02 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsctr3 View Post
Could you post links to where you got the front springs and rear shocks?
I bought the front springs from a dealer in my home town so there is no link for that. Go on google and type and in Ohlins FSK 127 for the fork springs.

I bought the rear suspension off this website https://www.sonicracingparts.com/en/...2016-2018.html
Kenny G and dsctr3 like this.

2016 Rebel 500 non ABS
post #6 of 27 (permalink) Old 05-22-2019, 07:13 PM

Garage
Quote:
I bought the front springs from a dealer in my home town so there is no link for that. Go on google and type and in Ohlins FSK 127 for the fork springs.

I bought the rear suspension off this website https://www.sonicracingparts.com/en/...2016-2018.html

On my Rebel 300 the rear shocks are 11" center to center on the shock mount bolts.

I notice on the Ohlins site the length is 298mm or 11 3/4" for the HO718 and the HO728.

Are your Ohlins shocks 11 3/4" center to center on the mounting bolts, did it raise the seat height?

I plan on getting the front springs FSK 127 and was thinking of the HO 728 rear shocks (non piggy back, basic shocks), but I don't want to raise the rear or seat over stock.

As long as I still get excited to go for a ride, I'll be riding. In the end it may be a moped, but I'll still be riding.

Ride and be Free

2018 Rebel 300

Last edited by dsctr3; 05-22-2019 at 07:20 PM.
post #7 of 27 (permalink) Old 05-22-2019, 07:40 PM

Garage
I noticed on Zeeds web site there are YSS rear shocks and front springs.

I plan on getting Ohlins front springs FSK 127.

But if the Ohlins rear shocks are 3/4" higher, may consider YSS rear shocks that are the stock length.

Honda Rebel 300 500 YSS Topline Twin Gas Shock RZ362-285TRL

Honda Rebel CMX 500 YSS Front Fork Spring Upgrade Kit

Has anyone bought or used the YSS rear shocks or front springs?
flyinbrianbmx likes this.

Ride and be Free

2018 Rebel 300
post #8 of 27 (permalink) Old 05-23-2019, 12:05 PM

Garage
I just ordered the FSK127 fork spring kit from Ohlins in South Carolina.

Cost is $250 + shipping UPS estimated at $25-$30 to California.

I was told that the rear shocks are 11 3/4 length, so it would raise the seat 3/4"

Ride and be Free

2018 Rebel 300

Last edited by dsctr3; 05-23-2019 at 12:09 PM.
post #9 of 27 (permalink) Old 05-23-2019, 12:27 PM

Garage
Quote:

Did you use the Ohlins 01316 fork oil or a different for oil?
If different what weight oil did you use

Ride and be Free

2018 Rebel 300
post #10 of 27 (permalink) Old 05-23-2019, 12:46 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsctr3 View Post
Did you use the Ohlins 01316 fork oil or a different for oil?
If different what weight oil did you use
i used that fork oil the 01316 ohlins, its expensive and get two bottles,, if you're not going to completely take your forks apart i heard its a good idea to put some fresh oil in and pump them and pour them out and refill. just to get some more of the old stuff out.

and I never really noticed the 3/4 height difference. Doesn't bother me at all.

2016 Rebel 500 non ABS

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page