I'm needing new tyres - Honda Rebel 300 & 500 Forum
 12Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-03-2018, 07:56 AM Thread Starter

I'm needing new tyres

I'm trying to decide what tyres to out on in a couple of weeks. I've hated everything about the dunlops that came on the bike and I want something different. I quite fancy giving the michelin commander 2s a go (the ones with the white walls) or I do like the look of the dual sport tyres you get on the Indian bobber. Does anyone have any suggestions as to what dual sport tyres fit our bikes?
post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-03-2018, 08:51 AM
Super Moderator

Garage
It is a fact that Honda went the cheap way when choosing tires for the Rebel, so I wouldn't recommend anyone to get the same pair of tires again for the bike.
But I seriously would go and consult the dealer and/or a tire shop about what a good replacement would be. Tires are a crucial part of the bike, so I would talk with someone who knows what they are talking about.
Kenny G and Twizzian like this.

Lyoko - Black Rebel 500
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-04-2018, 06:19 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lyoko-Code View Post
It is a fact that Honda went the cheap way when choosing tires for the Rebel, so I wouldn't recommend anyone to get the same pair of tires again for the bike.
But I seriously would go and consult the dealer and/or a tire shop about what a good replacement would be. Tires are a crucial part of the bike, so I would talk with someone who knows what they are talking about.
The stock Dunlop tires never set my world on fire, but I can't say I was disappointed by them either. In fact, the only reason I'm looking for new tires is I caught a nail a few weeks ago, and I don't want to ride too long on a patched tire.

There's a lot of options in our tire size though, so that's nice. I'm thinking about the Commander 2's...but we'll see. Like Lyoko-Code said, I'll be talking with my dealership to see what they suggest.
Twizzian likes this.

YouTube Channel Moto Noir
2017 Honda Rebel 300 Owner from Brooklyn, NY
post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-05-2018, 11:02 AM
Super Moderator

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryan View Post
The stock Dunlop tires never set my world on fire, but I can't say I was disappointed by them either. In fact, the only reason I'm looking for new tires is I caught a nail a few weeks ago, and I don't want to ride too long on a patched tire.
I was wondering a little how far you must have ridden the Rebel, on such a short amount of time, to be needing some new rubber already, lol
Any particular reason you don't wanna ride with a patched tire? Afraid it'll blow out?

Lyoko - Black Rebel 500
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-05-2018, 01:24 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lyoko-Code View Post
I was wondering a little how far you must have ridden the Rebel, on such a short amount of time, to be needing some new rubber already, lol
Any particular reason you don't wanna ride with a patched tire? Afraid it'll blow out?
Hmmm...I don't have a good answer for that, lol. Everywhere I've read online suggest replacing the tire...is this not the case? I have a bit over 3,000 miles on it, and I've rode the last 600 with the tire plugged. I've had zero problems with air leakage, it's held firm, and I've had no problems with traction. Am I overthinking this?
Kenny G likes this.

Last edited by ryan; 02-05-2018 at 01:26 PM.
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-05-2018, 03:15 PM
Super Moderator

Garage
Quote:
Hmmm...I don't have a good answer for that, lol. Everywhere I've read online suggest replacing the tire...is this not the case? I have a bit over 3,000 miles on it, and I've rode the last 600 with the tire plugged. I've had zero problems with air leakage, it's held firm, and I've had no problems with traction. Am I overthinking this?
I've only started riding bikes since last year, so i don't know if it's different in regards of mc, compared to car tires. With car tires there shouldn't be any problem, when done properly ofc. If you use sealing spray inside the tire and such things then you'll have to change. But by simply plugging the hole you should be good to go until the tire has done it's job.
But as I said, consult someone with the proper knowledge to be sure. As far as I'm concerned it shouldn't be a problem, but I could be wrong.

Lyoko - Black Rebel 500
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-05-2018, 04:28 PM

Garage
Quote:
If the plug was installed properly, and the hole was just from an average sized nail, the plug should last the life of the tire. I have had plugs in car tires for somewhere over 25,000 miles with out failure.

Kenny G
Lyoko likes this.
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-08-2018, 03:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenny G View Post
If the plug was installed properly, and the hole was just from an average sized nail, the plug should last the life of the tire. I have had plugs in car tires for somewhere over 25,000 miles with out failure.

Kenny G
I heard its extremely unsafe to ride on a plugged tire on a motorcycle ... the plug can come out while riding...
There are some youtube videos of this... I caught a nail on the rear tire at 250 miles on my new rebel and it sucked having to buy a whole new tire but I do feel a lot safer....
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-08-2018, 10:01 PM

so in regards to plugs... If it's not in the side you can plug it, if you know how to plug it properly. I mean, don't get me wrong you've structurally weakened the tire... fact.. But I used to have my R6 well north of 100 with a plugged tired and it lasted until the tire wore out and I could *barely* tell the spot. Now, is this sound advice? No, perfect world.... change the tire OR pop it off and do a proper internal patch - but it's still structurally weakened. Now if you have bad luck and pick nails up even 1-3 times a year like me, that can get pricey - these things aren't usually tearing along canyon corners or doing break-neck speed and acceleration, so when I get mine I'll feel just fine plugging it up if needed.
Kenny G and Lyoko like this.
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-09-2018, 05:39 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenny G View Post
If the plug was installed properly.................
Kenny G
To quote Kenny. The most important words are at the start of his post.

I too have used plugs on car tyres and motorcycle tyres over the last 50 years and never had an issue, with the plug outlasting the legal tread.

Note that I didn't use my bikes on the track or doing wheelies, mainly standard daily city commuting where I could pick up a tek screw or a nail about every three months.
Kenny G and Lyoko like this.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page