Tyre shine debate - Honda Rebel 300 & 500 Forum
 2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-20-2018, 01:50 AM Thread Starter

Tyre shine debate

Hi All

I've come across this on other forums in the past, and the general outcome has always been mixed.

Now I understand that it would be dangerous to spray this product directly at a motorcycle tyre as its going to get on the tread. So that's a definite no, no.

But then I've seen people say it safe to use if carefully applied to a rag, avoiding any of the road contact surfaces. Now I can't see why that would be an issue, if it was only applied to the side.

Any one else have any thoughts or experience with application using a rag?

Thanks all

Locky
post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-20-2018, 02:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locky View Post
Hi All

I've come across this on other forums in the past, and the general outcome has always been mixed.

Now I understand that it would be dangerous to spray this product directly at a motorcycle tyre as its going to get on the tread. So that's a definite no, no.

But then I've seen people say it safe to use if carefully applied to a rag, avoiding any of the road contact surfaces. Now I can't see why that would be an issue, if it was only applied to the side.

Thanks all

Locky
I'm sorry, I don't see what is the debate is. Seems like you answered your own concern? Don't spray on the contact surfaces, use a rag and apply to the sides. Are you saying there are people who argue against using tire shine at all?
rebelwithoutacause likes this.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-20-2018, 03:15 AM

Garage
I have white walls so all I use is a bit of cream cleanser (Jif, Gumption?) on the white and brings them up like new. There's not really enough surface left for me to worry about otherwise.

A bit off track, I know.

I think if tyre shine were applied as you describe then there shouldn't be a problem.
rebelwithoutacause likes this.

Fletch

668 The Neighbour of the Beast
post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-20-2018, 04:29 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan500 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Locky View Post
Hi All

Thanks all

Locky
I'm sorry, I don't see what is the debate is. Seems like you answered your own concern? Don't spray on the contact surfaces, use a rag and apply to the sides. Are you saying there are people who argue against using tire shine at all?
Yes Ryan that's the point I was trying to get across, some people have said in the past that even carefully applied with a rag can be dangerous. I was wondering what people's views on here are.

I've heard multiple things such as it will leach into the tyre, centrifugal force will push the tyre shine onto the tread (I can't see how that would happen, as I would imagine if anything it would be flung completely off the tyre wall)

Then other people say the method I've described is safe.

Just wondering myself that's all
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-20-2018, 04:42 AM

I shine them too, i don't like how they look without the shine.

After they wear, I will get me some white wall tyres so i don't have to shine them.

I guess, just don't over do it, so it's doesn't drip on the thread. Just lightly shine the wall with the rag.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-20-2018, 06:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fletch View Post
I have white walls so all I use is a bit of cream cleanser (Jif, Gumption?) on the white and brings them up like new. There's not really enough surface left for me to worry about otherwise.

A bit off track, I know.
Further off track, sorry, but is there a pic of your bike and its white wall tyres on here? It must look good.

Just do it! (I did: 2017 Rebel 500; 2014 MT-07)
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-20-2018, 07:57 AM

Garage
I shine my tires as well when I clean the bike. I just apply it to a rag like you said and wipe it on. I can't imagine the wheel spinning enough to move any shine onto the tread unless it was still super wet and even if a drop did it'll be worn off in a minute. I've accidentally hit the tread before and it's gone after a couple laps around the block.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-20-2018, 09:55 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jskafff View Post
I shine my tires as well when I clean the bike. I just apply it to a rag like you said and wipe it on. I can't imagine the wheel spinning enough to move any shine onto the tread unless it was still super wet and even if a drop did it'll be worn off in a minute. I've accidentally hit the tread before and it's gone after a couple laps around the block.
That was what I thought, I only thought I'd bring it up here as there wasn't a post about it and I've had some great help on here.

I didn't want to go and do it, if it was going to be dangerous.
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-20-2018, 10:22 AM

Any person who sprays on a rag, wipes on the side of the tire, then wipes with another rag to ensure no residual dripping....has nothing to worry about. This doesn't need to be debated.

(and the 'wiping with a second rag'..probably isn't even necessary)

Last edited by Ohio Newbie; 11-20-2018 at 10:24 AM.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-20-2018, 01:35 PM

Tire shine can get onto the tire contact surface if there's too much of the stuff whether you spray or use a rag and it drips down the sidewall on the ground and into the contact patch. I use a rag myself.

By the way since we're on topic of tire shine, what products are you all using? I've used many and IMO the best stuff is anything that is labeled for VRP (vinyl, rubber, & plastic). It gives the tires a semi-gloss or a deep matte finish. Also it has a very small amount of solvent that cleans the old coating and any dirt off the tire on top of protecting it.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page