Got me some new tyres - Honda Rebel 300 & 500 Forum
 40Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 29 (permalink) Old 05-30-2018, 10:20 AM Thread Starter

Got me some new tyres

At 4111 miles my rear was trashed, so i've had fitted a pair of Michelin Commander 2's. All i can say is, wow, what a difference. Its like night and day compared the the original dunlop tyres. Everything about the tyres is better, the grip, the confidence and they are also better over the loose stuff. Not had chance for a proper wet test yet though. And these tyres should last around 15 to 20k miles too!
post #2 of 29 (permalink) Old 05-30-2018, 10:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cuthbert View Post
At 4111 miles my rear was trashed, so i've had fitted a pair of Michelin Commander 2's. All i can say is, wow, what a difference. Its like night and day compared the the original dunlop tyres. Everything about the tyres is better, the grip, the confidence and they are also better over the loose stuff. Not had chance for a proper wet test yet though. And these tyres should last around 15 to 20k miles too!
have some photos?
post #3 of 29 (permalink) Old 05-30-2018, 10:37 AM
Super Moderator

Garage
You'll have plenty of wet moments in the UK, lol!
Cuthbert likes this.

Lyoko - Black Rebel 500
post #4 of 29 (permalink) Old 05-30-2018, 10:47 AM Thread Starter

They're a handsome enough tyre to be fair. But the performance over the dunlops is unbelievable. They're not fully scrubbed in yet and still miles better than the dunlops ever were!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Kenny G, Lyoko, RebelRider and 7 others like this.
post #5 of 29 (permalink) Old 05-30-2018, 01:11 PM

Quote:
They're a handsome enough tyre to be fair. But the performance over the dunlops is unbelievable. They're not fully scrubbed in yet and still miles better than the dunlops ever were!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Nice to hear there is a good alternative out there. Did you get them in the exact same size as the originals? The dunlops are actually pretty poor tires if your read around online. When I change I will probably go with eaither Michelin or Perelli.
Tree likes this.
post #6 of 29 (permalink) Old 05-31-2018, 11:59 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by shortyg83 View Post
Nice to hear there is a good alternative out there. Did you get them in the exact same size as the originals? The dunlops are actually pretty poor tires if your read around online. When I change I will probably go with eaither Michelin or Perelli.
Yeah, exact same sizes.Michelin do the Scorcher tyre to fit too. I believe it give better wet traction, but at a cost of some longevity.
post #7 of 29 (permalink) Old 05-31-2018, 12:05 PM

Garage
@Cuthbert ,

Thanks for the solid review! You just helped me make my decision. Getting one of these installed for my rear this weekend. The front tire still looks brand new so I'm going to keep the Dunlop on the front till it wears out. My dealer matched a price I found online that saves me about $30 bucks which makes up for the install & balance.

I read a lot of reviews online and was trying decide between a few different tires. The feedback I see on this forum carries a lot more weight than what I might see on Amazon reviews.

-CG
post #8 of 29 (permalink) Old 05-31-2018, 12:13 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by CGrazFL View Post
@Cuthbert ,

Thanks for the solid review! You just helped me make my decision. Getting one of these installed for my rear this weekend. The front tire still looks brand new so I'm going to keep the Dunlop on the front till it wears out. My dealer matched a price I found online that saves me about $30 bucks which makes up for the install & balance.

I read a lot of reviews online and was trying decide between a few different tires. The feedback I see on this forum carries a lot more weight than what I might see on Amazon reviews.

-CG
No worries, my front still had 3mm on it when i changed it, i was gonna leave it on but was advised against it, and very glad i am too.
If you can spare the cash you'll be surprised at the extra front end control you will gain by changing it.
post #9 of 29 (permalink) Old 05-31-2018, 12:37 PM

Quote:
No worries, my front still had 3mm on it when i changed it, i was gonna leave it on but was advised against it, and very glad i am too.
If you can spare the cash you'll be surprised at the extra front end control you will gain by changing it.
how much was the cost? roughly of course.
post #10 of 29 (permalink) Old 05-31-2018, 04:15 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by fujirio View Post
how much was the cost? roughly of course.
I have a mobile man in a van in my area. He took the wheels off and replaced both tyres for £290, the Honda shop wanted £385 for the same job!
Kenny G and fujirio like this.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page