Stock Dunlops - Life span? - Honda Rebel 300 & 500 Forum
 9Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-07-2018, 04:42 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Stock Dunlops - Life span?

Hello Rebels!

I noticed this weekend that my rear tire is starting to look pretty worn! I gave my tires the "Penny test" and there's just enough meat on the rear tire to cover the last few hairs on Lincoln's head. I have 5300 miles, is it normal for a tire to wear out that fast? The front tire still looks new.

A few disclaimers - I've never taken my bike off pavement, not even a dirt road. Never had a puncture or plug in the tire. No burnouts/donuts/skids/etc. I check pressure every week and keep it at 29psi per the manual.

I know these Dunlops are not top of the line, but I really expected to get more mileage out of them.

I've read mixed reviews on these specific tires - some reviews say 10k miles or more, some say 4k or even less. Without knowing the bike/rider/conditions it is hard to get a good gauge on the average life expectancy.

How many of you are still rolling on the stock tires, and how is your wear/mileage looking?

If you have had to replace already, how many miles did you get?

Appreciate any input on your experience.

-CG
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	RebelTires.jpg
Views:	320
Size:	97.9 KB
ID:	23301  
post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-07-2018, 06:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CGrazFL View Post
Hello Rebels!

I noticed this weekend that my rear tire is starting to look pretty worn! I gave my tires the "Penny test" and there's just enough meat on the rear tire to cover the last few hairs on Lincoln's head. I have 5300 miles, is it normal for a tire to wear out that fast? The front tire still looks new.

A few disclaimers - I've never taken my bike off pavement, not even a dirt road. Never had a puncture or plug in the tire. No burnouts/donuts/skids/etc. I check pressure every week and keep it at 29psi per the manual.

I know these Dunlops are not top of the line, but I really expected to get more mileage out of them.

I've read mixed reviews on these specific tires - some reviews say 10k miles or more, some say 4k or even less. Without knowing the bike/rider/conditions it is hard to get a good gauge on the average life expectancy.

How many of you are still rolling on the stock tires, and how is your wear/mileage looking?

If you have had to replace already, how many miles did you get?

Appreciate any input on your experience.

-CG
It is super hard to judge how many miles you would get out of the tires. Depending on where you ride, how you brake, your weight and other things the tires could last between 5k-10k.

They are not very good tires to start with, and it is pretty normal for your rear tire to wear out much faster than the front.
CGrazFL likes this.
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-08-2018, 12:09 AM

Garage
FYI, I have over 6,000 miles and at least 50% life left in the tires
CGrazFL likes this.
post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-11-2018, 05:01 AM

Garage
The OEM Dunlops that came on my 2012 250 went just over 3K miles before the wear bars revealed their ugly selves...big difference from the OEM Bridgestones that came on bikes in the mid-90's that would need replacement due to age long before the treads lost their surface.

I average 24K on Bridgestone Exedras, here's what a 20K mile Exedra looks like:

Kenny G, CGrazFL and Ezcompane like this.

"Ride Safe, Chop Safer" Motorcycles are not unsafe. However; they are extremely unforgiving of inattention, incompetence, ignorance, and stupidity.
http://shadow-shack.20m.com
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-11-2018, 08:33 AM Thread Starter

Garage
I made a few calls yesterday, a local shop has the Dunlop American Elite with a 50 dollar mail in rebate. After the rebate I'll be out the door with a new rear tire for about 160 bucks. I've read a lot of positive reviews and it seems like these tires get pretty good mileage so I think that's what I am going with. I was also looking at the Michelin Commander for the same price, but there's no rebate on the Michelin.

-CG
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-13-2018, 03:20 AM

I've got just over 3500 miles on mine and have about 2.5mm left. Gonna replace mine with Michelin scorchers as they should give close to 20k miles
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-15-2018, 08:43 AM

There is a reason why a tyre lasts a long time.

A hard tyre lasts longer. A soft tyre will give you grip/traction but will not last long.

If you have a hard tyre that lasts you a long time it will also feel like riding on glass and it might throw you off in a corner/bad road surface/wet/oil/diesel/etc.

If you have a soft tyre it will grip the road. It will make all the difference between you scraping off your cheeks crashing your bike (with your forever lasting hard tyre) or elegantly leaning into a corner looking as if you were born on a bike (with a soft tyre).

If it's all about the money I suggest you get some 50cc scooter. If it's about the fun I suggest you get some good tyres. I am quite happy with the Dunlops on the Rebel but I put RS10 battlax on my Kawasaki because I can lean into a corner on a bad road as much as I like and I know my cheek won't be scraping the road. Having said that the battlax are dry road tyres. Not much good in the wet. Spend an hour on google and youtube before you decide for a tyre.
dollarbill181 and Lyoko like this.

Last edited by Hondora; 05-15-2018 at 08:50 AM.
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-14-2018, 08:41 AM

My rear tyre wore out after 5k miles. Stock tyres are okay if you just pootle along but if you want better life and performance i recomend avon cobra tyres. For me they performed far better in all areas in particular when its wet.

Harley guys also like them due to better life than base dunlops.

I would also give pirelli night dragons a try after thes
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-22-2018, 10:23 PM

The real question is what would Hondura choose? I want to know what that sexy, soft tire choice would be.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-22-2018, 10:32 PM

Bridgestone Battlax RS10

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page