power commander after exhaust change? - Honda Rebel 300 & 500 Forum
 5Likes
  • 2 Post By dollarbill181
  • 3 Post By shortyg83

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-30-2017, 11:37 AM Thread Starter

power commander after exhaust change?

I'm planning on having a custom exhaust built for my bike, from header to end pipe, and I've also done some research about the power commander, saying it is highly recommended after an exhaust upgrade like the one mentioned above.

Does anyone have a power commander installed on their rebel? If so, which model did you get?

Thanks!
post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-30-2017, 04:31 PM

As far as I can tell only two people on this forum have "Slip-Ons" right now, a TBR and an EMGO (if anyone else has others please chime in).
neither of which require an ECU flash. You my friend get the privilege of being our guinea pig!
Lyoko and GazzasNewToy like this.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-30-2017, 06:16 PM

Garage
So this all depends. If you plan on deleting the 02 sensor than yes your going to want a power command to optimize your bikes fuel trim.

Fred Doug
post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-30-2017, 06:40 PM

Since you are replacing the entire exhaust you would likely need the bike tuned to get the best performance. So you would need the power commander and to get the bike Dyno tuned.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-30-2017, 08:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shortyg83 View Post
Since you are replacing the entire exhaust you would likely need the bike tuned to get the best performance. So you would need the power commander and to get the bike Dyno tuned.
Not "likely" but guaranteed.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-01-2017, 11:23 AM
Super Moderator

Garage
Quote:
I see it's mentioned again and again here and there about having to tune it again, dyno test it, power command, etc etc..
But just how much work is this actually??
And just about what is it that actually needs to be done? Adjusting valves and such, or is it purely a computer based adjustment, or... what?!
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-01-2017, 02:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lyoko-Code View Post
I see it's mentioned again and again here and there about having to tune it again, dyno test it, power command, etc etc..
But just how much work is this actually??
And just about what is it that actually needs to be done? Adjusting valves and such, or is it purely a computer based adjustment, or... what?!
A power commander is a device that hooks up to the bikes computer and pretty much takes over. So once you install the exhaust and power commander normally all you have to do is take it to someone who can tune it using a dyno. The adjustments can normally then be made just via computer based adjustment. So the tuner would program that into the power commander.

The second option, is if you bought a commercially available exhaust system you can sometimes download the tune specific for the bike. This isn't really available yet for the Rebel since it is so new. But would save you on having to get the bike dyno tuned yourself. The one set back of this, every bike isn't exactly the same. So the tune may not be 100% perfect for you bike. But as long as you know the altitude and such such you should be able to get it close enough to work fine.
Lyoko, GazzasNewToy and Ryan500 like this.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-15-2019, 09:01 AM

Quote:
A power commander is a device that hooks up to the bikes computer and pretty much takes over. So once you install the exhaust and power commander normally all you have to do is take it to someone who can tune it using a dyno. The adjustments can normally then be made just via computer based adjustment. So the tuner would program that into the power commander.

The second option, is if you bought a commercially available exhaust system you can sometimes download the tune specific for the bike. This isn't really available yet for the Rebel since it is so new. But would save you on having to get the bike dyno tuned yourself. The one set back of this, every bike isn't exactly the same. So the tune may not be 100% perfect for you bike. But as long as you know the altitude and such such you should be able to get it close enough to work fine.
Nearly 2 years on and I’ll ask the question, is any aftermarket company offering an aftermarket exhaust with proven performance data?
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-15-2019, 09:24 AM

With a PVC you can add an auto tuner also, it replaces your O2 sensor on the exhaust and adjust the map automatically while you ride, you can can then export or save the map out for other users, I have that setup on my Z125, and I suspect I can use that auto tuner on the rebel PCV as well once I go full headers and custom slip on.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page