What was your worst bike - Honda Rebel 300 & 500 Forum
 33Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 23 (permalink) Old 01-09-2018, 02:59 AM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Garage
What was your worst bike

For me, the worst bike I owned was a 1979 Kawasaki KH-250 Triple.

Although I enjoyed riding it, this thing was Jinxed from the day I purchased this 5 month old snatch back at the Kawasaki dealer in Cambridge.

It kept on running on 2 cylinders, cleaned or changed plugs numerous times.
put new piston rings, still did it.
Dealer didn’t want to know.

When it was running sweet it was good.

Then one day on a trip it kept blowing main fuses, after exhausting all the spare fuses & from other bikers I had to put cigarette packet foil on the fuse to get me back for home. Took the tank off, the whole loom was melted.
Dealer didn’t want to know. I fitted a new loom.

Another trip, Oil light came on, before I even got to a garage for oil she ceased up, back wheels locked & was skidding all over the place.

So even after a rebore, new rings, 500 mile run in at a painful 30mph, Guess what! It was back to running on 2 cylinders.
I reckon the previous owner thrashed the A..ss of it before the dealer took it back
It was time to Flog this dog & wave good riddens.

I blame the colour, unlucky grasshopper green.
On a positive note’ when it was behaving, my mates Yamaha LC 250 couldn’t beat me on the straights.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	331D4DDB-384D-4706-8A2F-1DD7369994A6.jpeg
Views:	105
Size:	47.8 KB
ID:	14850  
01-7700, Kenny G, Lyoko and 2 others like this.

Twizz
post #2 of 23 (permalink) Old 01-09-2018, 09:18 AM

Garage
The worst bike that I owned was a 1959 AJS 600CC Single Cylinder Scrambler...

Kenny G
post #3 of 23 (permalink) Old 01-09-2018, 03:08 PM
Super Moderator

Garage
Ugg Twizz, that seriously sounds like quite the pain...
So much struggle and hassle, I would have lit the darn thing on fire and watched with a smile... lol!

But worst bike, huh? I sure as heck hope it won't be the Rebel, as it's my first and only bike in my ownership thus far!
Don't find it very likely thou, Honda's are built to last.
Kenny G and Twizzian like this.

Lyoko - Black Rebel 500
post #4 of 23 (permalink) Old 01-09-2018, 03:54 PM
Super Moderator

Garage
Kawasaki made a nice looking bike back in the 70's - very sleek
rebelwithoutacause likes this.

Keith from Maine USA - Rebel R1
post #5 of 23 (permalink) Old 04-07-2018, 06:23 AM

For me, my worst bike has to be the Honda SS50 I had as a fresh faced 16 year old. It was total and utter junk. Even though it was in good condition, everything was faster. The usual crowd of FS1E's and AP50's etc., would fly past with ease!

And... when I managed to get up to a decent speed (maxed out at about 50mph it I recall correctly), the bloody thing didn't want to slow down, however hard I pulled or stamped on the brakes! This was in part due to a glazed over rear drum and a criminally designed cable operated front disc.

Needless to say, I got rid of it at the first opportunity and managed to bag the cream of mopeds... a Fantic Caballero. It was a none running with a holed piston, but I managed to get all the bits and a re-bore quite cheaply and boy, was this thing fast! Never again was I left behind and nothing could touch this fine example of Italian exotica... but that's another story.

Those were the days...
post #6 of 23 (permalink) Old 04-07-2018, 07:06 AM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Opel View Post
For me, my worst bike has to be the Honda SS50 I had as a fresh faced 16 year old. It was total and utter junk. Even though it was in good condition, everything was faster. The usual crowd of FS1E's and AP50's etc., would fly past with ease!

And... when I managed to get up to a decent speed (maxed out at about 50mph it I recall correctly), the bloody thing didn't want to slow down, however hard I pulled or stamped on the brakes! This was in part due to a glazed over rear drum and a criminally designed cable operated front disc.

Needless to say, I got rid of it at the first opportunity and managed to bag the cream of mopeds... a Fantic Caballero. It was a none running with a holed piston, but I managed to get all the bits and a re-bore quite cheaply and boy, was this thing fast! Never again was I left behind and nothing could touch this fine example of Italian exotica... but that's another story.

Those were the days...
Those were the days yes.
I had an old Puch maxi which was shared by 3 other friends.
We used it and abused it on the fields, & I’d say it was still more reliable than the 5 month old KH I had

Twizz
post #7 of 23 (permalink) Old 04-07-2018, 08:01 AM

Garage
i certainly never had mechanical issues like you've had Twizz (thankfully) but still the bike I dislike the most was my '95 Kawasaki GPZ 1100
long story short, i thought I had outgrown bike#1 Ex500, which i was very confident on and had fun with but thought i wanted a bigger bike, but didn't wanna pay the money for a Ninja ( i wanted to stick with KAW since I liked my first bike), so settled on the gpz. was more of a standard i think they called it.
never liked the feel of it (too big/bulky) and i felt i didn't like how it handled. since i knew next to nothing about modding or changing things just left the way it was. sadly i barely rode during those few years cause i disliked it so much. finally realized i wanted a smaller bike again so moved back down to 600 and went with the first of my Yamaha YZF's.

plus once when i left it idling in my driveway cause i forgot something in the garage, it fell off the kickstand and I had to replace the clutch lever. also scratched my fairing but never did fix that.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	gpz12.JPG
Views:	84
Size:	62.6 KB
ID:	20746  
Twizzian and Fivespeed302 like this.
post #8 of 23 (permalink) Old 04-07-2018, 01:04 PM

Garage
Mine would have to be my Moto Guzzi Cal 3 although my Norton Atlas would be a very close second. I bought the Goose used from my boss at the time. It was big and loud and fast and beautiful and unique. It would set off car alarms just by riding down the street. BUT I never knew if it was going to start. If it did start I’d be afraid to ride any further than I’d be willing to push it back home. If I was out riding I couldn’t stop anywhere because the likelihood that it would start up again was very slim.

I found out after I bought it that it was one of the bikes that the dealer that restored called the “TETANUS”. It was called the Tetnaus because the bike was so bad with rust and weeds and mold when the first got the bike in, that they wouldn’t let anyone near it unless they had their tetanus shot. http://www.motoguzziclassics.com/mgctetnus.asp

http://www.motoguzziclassics.com/MGCCustomGallery.asp
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	moto guzzi cal 3.JPEG
Views:	98
Size:	52.4 KB
ID:	20762  

2019 Honda Shadow Aero 750, 2017 Honda Rebel 500 (SOLD), 2018 Kawasaki Vulcan S 650 (SOLD)

Last edited by longbeachgary; 04-07-2018 at 01:10 PM.
post #9 of 23 (permalink) Old 04-07-2018, 01:57 PM

For me it was a Royal Enfield Crusader 250. I bought it used with very low miles. The oil? looked like kerosene, changed it and only got 30 miles before the big end went south. Fortunately the dealer stepped up to the plate and repaired it.

I only kept it for a month, the thing just about shook all my fillings loose. Never again. Used bikes are pretty much a crap shoot!
longbeachgary and Odin like this.
post #10 of 23 (permalink) Old 04-07-2018, 10:20 PM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by norm92de View Post
For me it was a Royal Enfield Crusader 250. I bought it used with very low miles. The oil? looked like kerosene, changed it and only got 30 miles before the big end went south. Fortunately the dealer stepped up to the plate and repaired it.

I only kept it for a month, the thing just about shook all my fillings loose. Never again. Used bikes are pretty much a crap shoot!
I had a close look at some new Royal Enfield’s recently at an open air show, & I must say they look such poor build quality.
Thin materials, hub brake system. You just know the cromed parts would flake very quickly and rust.

Twizz

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page