• 1 Post By Robble10
  • 1 Post By Odin
  • 2 Post By Ohio Newbie
  • 1 Post By Robble10

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-26-2018, 06:54 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Cb500x

stopped by my dealer today and test rode an '18 CB500X. I've been looking at it online for a month or so, really like the looks of it, though i'd sit on it to see what i thought. I really like it, dude was like you wanna take it out (was I gonna say no?)
really like the way it looks and handles. I'm going to wait for the 19 models to come in and most likely buy one. just can't decide if I wanna trade the Rebel, or have 2 bikes in the garage at this point.
for me just a few of the pros compared to my current bike, are sitting up higher, larger fuel tank, better display among others. its like all the mods i've done to my bike this one already has stock.
plus the '19 is supposed to have a larger front wheel, better suspension, all LED lighting and better display. so looking forward to seeing it once they're out.

'18 MSRP is 6599 they had it marked at 5699, but i still wasn't interested at this point. plus the 18 is silver in the US, and my rebel is already silver, the '19s are some shade of Red, why not diversify if I keep both

for those that haven't seen it: http://powersports.honda.com/2019/cb500x.aspx
Kenny G likes this.
post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-27-2018, 07:22 AM

I always wanted a red bike (never got it) and that 500X looks good. I have been lucky enough to have two very different bikes in the garage. So, my Rebel sits with my MT-07. Each bike gives me its unique ride. Ride them in turn and there is no agonising over choice!
rebelwithoutacause likes this.

Just do it! (I did: 2017 Rebel 500; 2014 MT-07)
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-08-2019, 06:22 PM

As an "unbiased observer", I suspect that you could be happy with either of them, if your current Rebel is the 286 cc version. If you already have the 471 cc engine in your Rebel, you would at least need the 2019, and that may not even be enough difference.

I'm quite happy with my CB500XA for street use, and my other ride is a tad different:

John '14CB500XA (Daily Rider), '09CRF230L (Li'l Red Piglet), '89NX250 (sold), '01Rebel250(sold)
Propelled by Penguin Power
Nekkid motorcycles feel faster
1st bike: a gently used 1958 Matchless 250 thumper
post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-08-2019, 07:42 PM Thread Starter

Garage
My rebel is the 500, so it's not like i'm looking for a bigger bike, just different. Mostly sitting higher, more bells/whistles etc.. I keep going back and forth in my mind if I want to have both, or trade. probably won't decide until the day they call me and say the new model has arrived.
Kenny G likes this.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-12-2019, 10:01 AM

Great timing for this thread!

I'm on a Rebel 500 because I got a deal I couldn't pass by, but my one complaint is the very cramped cockpit. I think I would like to have a bike that's a little taller and have been looking at the CB500X or NC750X with lust. Honda has gone to a taller, skinnier tire for the 2019 model, does anyone know how that effects road handling?
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-12-2019, 11:13 AM

Yeah, I'm looking to make a switch too. I bought the Rebel 300 last fall.,,,my first bike. It did all the things I wanted it to do. Low power, easy to ride. So I've gained just enough education and experience to start finding out what I like...and what I don't like.

While I like my Rebel 300 overall, there are some things I really don't like...enough to make me consider selling it and buying another this spring:

1) it vibrates more than I expected. Perhaps I'm not a thumper kind of guy. Ok for in town, NOT ok for longer/faster rides.

2) The seat hurts me. This is perhaps the real reason I will sell it. I rode 1000 miles in 6 weeks and it seems I over did it. For several week, I hurt 'down there'. Now when I go to the dealership and sit on other bikes (especially the CB500 series)....they feel better. More/better seat, more support. When I quickly hop off and get back on a Rebel....I can tell it's not for me. I'm only 5'10" and I feel like I'm cramped and my legs are too high, which makes me feel like I'm sitting on a 2x4. Not only is the Rebel seat hard, it seems like I'm only really using the inner 4 inches of it. I like an upright seating position, but I want my feet further back....and the CB500 does that.

So I've got my eye on a CB500f, Yamaha MT-07...and if it really calls to me, the new CB650R with it's 4 cylinder engine!! They got rid of the 'transformer' looking headlight on the 650R...but it's a lot more money. The CB500f is in the lead (even thought it's got the transformer headlight), Yamaha mt-07 is for now, a distant 2nd....and the CB650R is a long shot.

Still, I'm glad I bought the Rebel 300...learned on it. But it may be time to move on.
Kenny G and Odin like this.

Last edited by Ohio Newbie; 01-12-2019 at 11:23 AM.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-12-2019, 05:23 PM

I recommend you test an MT-07. See if it has you grinning from ear to ear, like it did me. My test lasted less than 10 minutes and I returned to buy it.
Twizzian likes this.

Just do it! (I did: 2017 Rebel 500; 2014 MT-07)

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page