Keep your eyes open, ride smart, and ride safe, ladies and gents... - Honda Rebel 300 & 500 Forum
 6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-11-2017, 11:17 PM Thread Starter

Keep your eyes open, ride smart, and ride safe, ladies and gents...

Local crash last night took the lives of two young riders (18 year old rider and his 18 year old passenger).

Driving through town in an area not extremely well lit, but not dark by any means... a more attentive rider might've been able to avoid the crash.

Speed zone transitioning from 40mph to 35mph (no official report of the bike's speed, yet), bike traveling west, 81 year old man driving a van with no headlights traveling east made a left turn in front of the bike. Van driver said he never saw the bike.

Rider was pronounced dead after transport to a local hospital, passenger was airlifted to a nearby city, but died this morning. Neither were wearing helmets.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk

2017 Honda Rebel 500 - Black
post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-12-2017, 06:56 AM

That is terrible. Intersections are where most accidents happen *especially the most lethal*, slow down when coming to them accordingly. I was told "make eye contact" with the keys are intersections. I find this distracting but may be worth noting.

Not to generalize but really some people should not have licenses anymore. RIP and wear gear.
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-12-2017, 07:24 AM

Garage
Unfortunately not unusual with young riders who trust that the others on the road follow all of the rules, but so sadly in this case, not everybody does.

Probably a bit irresponsible of them to be riding without gear and helmets, but who of us can point the finger of blame for doing silly things at that age. I still have painful evidence of a slide when I was only wearing a T shirt and shorts and lost it on a curve, and that was 50 years ago.

The real tragedy here is that people have to bear the ongoing emotional burden, the EM crews, the police, the doctors and nurses and most saddening, their buddies and their parents.

To all of the young, or just starting out riders here, please read and absorb my signature.

Cheers

Jim
Lyoko likes this.
post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-12-2017, 08:05 AM

Garage
Making eye contact is crucial. I've never had an issue with a driver who I've made eye contact with. Even if I have the right of way or I think to myself, "He MUST see me by now," I've learned to slow down and keep distance to maneuver if I can't make eye contact and it's kept me safe many times.

It takes a few coincidences to make the situation, but the only time I still get pretty nervous is on 4 lane roads with no turn lanes. There's been a few times where the left line in both directions has cars waiting to turn and I'm totally blocked by the line of cars behind them while cruising down the right lane. Generally I'll slow down and move further to right of the lane so they see me earlier but it's still a bit nerve-racking. If anyone has any extra safety suggestions feel free to post about it!
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-12-2017, 09:03 AM
Super Moderator

Garage
We had 2 deaths this weekend on motorcycles. It was part of an annual event and 3000+ motorcycles showed up this year to ride together from point A to point B.

I attended one year and never again - too dangerous!

The attendees are understandably excited to be part of it which doesn't mix very well with huge congestion of powerful vehicles that prefer to be going fast. There are plenty of distractions along the route and they ride 2 abreast among all the other traffic. It's been a few years since the last fatality during this event.

My advice is to stay away from this type of event and if you must go, let everyone else go first and join at the end and don't ride 2 abreast.
Kenny G likes this.

Keith from Maine USA - Rebel R1
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-12-2017, 09:12 AM

Garage

I concur.

Half of the people in the massive rides are not regular everyday motorcycle riders, they only ride poker runs and group rides and are never very attentive.

I decided not to go on a ride this morning with a group here at The Ranch when the number of riders got to 10.

Kenny G
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-12-2017, 09:19 AM
Super Moderator

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jskafff View Post
Making eye contact is crucial. I've never had an issue with a driver who I've made eye contact with. Even if I have the right of way or I think to myself, "He MUST see me by now," I've learned to slow down and keep distance to maneuver if I can't make eye contact and it's kept me safe many times.

It takes a few coincidences to make the situation, but the only time I still get pretty nervous is on 4 lane roads with no turn lanes. There's been a few times where the left line in both directions has cars waiting to turn and I'm totally blocked by the line of cars behind them while cruising down the right lane. Generally I'll slow down and move further to right of the lane so they see me earlier but it's still a bit nerve-racking. If anyone has any extra safety suggestions feel free to post about it!
Eye contact absolutely! But keep in mind that people in cars can be looking right at you and still not see you. If you're going too fast to stop suddenly without hitting that car that could pull out in front of you - you're going to fast.
Twizzian likes this.

Keith from Maine USA - Rebel R1

Last edited by 01-7700; 09-13-2017 at 06:20 AM.
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-12-2017, 09:23 AM Thread Starter

Regarding eye contact, in case it wasn't clear in the original post, this happened at night.

Also now, different papers are reporting different events. Some are saying that the van turned in front of the bike, others are saying the van turned *into* the bike.

2017 Honda Rebel 500 - Black
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-12-2017, 09:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CueBaller View Post
Regarding eye contact, in case it wasn't clear in the original post, this happened at night.

Also now, different papers are reporting different events. Some are saying that the van turned in front of the bike, others are saying the van turned *into* the bike.

My MSC couldn't stress enough "do NOT rely on eye contact!!!"
dollarbill181 likes this.
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-13-2017, 04:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Djdavies View Post
My MSC couldn't stress enough "do NOT rely on eye contact!!!"
Same here. My MSF course said half the people in cars are zoned out and can make eye contact with you and at the same time not see you.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page