Nearly tossed my Rebel😱 - Honda Rebel 300 & 500 Forum
 8Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-28-2018, 06:59 AM Thread Starter

Nearly tossed my Rebel😱

Yesterday a came back home, it looks line I was not paying too much atention. Cause when I was going off the bike letting her resting on the kickstand, i realized that the bike was leaning way too much while i found myself picking the bike with my left hand and resting also on only my left foot because I was still getting off the bike.😅 °I forgot to put the kickstand! Silly me!

I still don’t know how i managed to i save it. She didnt touch the ground.
I would damaged the tank and/or the handles for sure. Would I?
It was my first near miss with her😂.

Have you ever forgoten to place the kickstand?
post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-28-2018, 08:10 AM

I did that 2 days after I bought a new FZ 750. Of all places it could of happened too. I was at a meet with about 300 other bikers.
There was a dip in the pavement and when she started to go, she was gone.
Bent my clutch handle, beat up my bar end, smashed the mirror and a rock put a hole in my mid fairing.
They all stood there laughing while me at a hundred pounds soaking wet struggled to lift it back up.
Thanks for reminding me of that.
Back to the therapist I goes. FML
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-28-2018, 10:40 AM

On another forum, I remember watching someone's film of their riding. She came to a stop and we watched the view ahead: - over and down she went!

Just do it! (I did: 2017 Rebel 500; 2014 MT-07)
post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-28-2018, 12:38 PM

Garage
Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by JaviRebel View Post
Yesterday a came back home, it looks line I was not paying too much atention. Cause when I was going off the bike letting her resting on the kickstand, i realized that the bike was leaning way too much while i found myself picking the bike with my left hand and resting also on only my left foot because I was still getting off the bike.😅 °I forgot to put the kickstand! Silly me!

I still donít know how i managed to i save it. She didnt touch the ground.
I would damaged the tank and/or the handles for sure. Would I?
It was my first near miss with her😂.

Have you ever forgoten to place the kickstand?
I know there will be a certain amount of disagreement with how I try to prevent dropping the bike when parking.

I always use the kickstand safety switch to stop the engine. In other words if you put the kickstand down while the engine is running and in gear the engine will stop. You do have to remember to remove the ignition key before getting off of the bike.

Kenny G
Fletch and longbeachgary like this.
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-28-2018, 12:52 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomnolan View Post
I did that 2 days after I bought a new FZ 750. Of all places it could of happened too. I was at a meet with about 300 other bikers.
There was a dip in the pavement and when she started to go, she was gone.
Bent my clutch handle, beat up my bar end, smashed the mirror and a rock put a hole in my mid fairing.
They all stood there laughing while me at a hundred pounds soaking wet struggled to lift it back up.
Thanks for reminding me of that.
Back to the therapist I goes. FML
Sorry man. Didnt mean to take bad memories back😅.
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-28-2018, 12:57 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenny G View Post

I know there will be a certain amount of disagreement with how I try to prevent dropping the bike when parking.

I always use the kickstand safety switch to stop the engine. In other words if you put the kickstand down while the engine is running and in gear the engine will stop. You do have to remember to remove the ignition key before getting off of the bike.

Kenny G
I dont know if there is a particular reason to avoid doing that in a fuel injectio engine... I bet in a carburetor one, the engine could become “filled” of fuel as you kill the ignition but fuel stills goes in. But my bike always starts just fine, but struggles when you “kill” it... Aniway, doing so you are completely sure that you dont drop her😂.
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-28-2018, 02:25 PM

Garage
Iím with Kenny G. I always use the kickstand to turn off the bike. Iíve been doing it for over 10 years without any issues on multiple bikes. Yes I have forgot the kickstand once or twice but luck has been with me so far and I havenít dropped one yet.
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-28-2018, 03:51 PM

I have not forgotten it, but I will be using the kickstand in future as insurance.

Just do it! (I did: 2017 Rebel 500; 2014 MT-07)
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-28-2018, 04:15 PM

Garage
Kenny, that's a great idea but I did the exact thing that Javi did but the bike wasn't running. I was pushing it into the garage. I was able to keep it from hitting the ground. I did drop my C90. I was riding up a hill and realized that I missed my turn. I went to make a u turn but had to stop for oncoming traffic. The left side of the bike was pointing downhill and the bike started to go. Where almost 800 pounds of bike wants to go, it goes. Luckily a motorist stopped and help me pick it up. Very little damage.
Kenny G likes this.

2019 Honda Shadow Aero 750, 2017 Honda Rebel 500 (SOLD), 2018 Kawasaki Vulcan S 650 (SOLD)
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-28-2018, 04:46 PM

Garage
Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by longbeachgary View Post
Kenny, that's a great idea but I did the exact thing that Javi did but the bike wasn't running. I was pushing it into the garage. I was able to keep it from hitting the ground. I did drop my C90. I was riding up a hill and realized that I missed my turn. I went to make a u turn but had to stop for oncoming traffic. The left side of the bike was pointing downhill and the bike started to go. Where almost 800 pounds of bike wants to go, it goes. Luckily a motorist stopped and help me pick it up. Very little damage.
I had a friend recently drop his big Suzuki cruiser when we pulled into a place we were going to park. I saw it happening in my mirror. I quickly pushed down the kick stand to park my bike and jumped off and managed to pull his bike up enough for him to crawl out from under it. Luckily there was no damage to his cruiser. My friend has been riding for the better part of a half century and decided right then to purchase a lighter weight cycle. He ended up with a Kawasaki 300cc Versy.

I guess we all have to develop a procedure to consistently shut down the bike before we get off. One mistake I have recently seen a new rider make was to park his bike headed down hill and as he started to get off the bike it started drifting and surely would have fallen if 2 other riders were not there to grab the bike.

Good Luck Guys,

Kenny G
longbeachgary likes this.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page