Road laws for bikers in different countries? - Honda Rebel 300 & 500 Forum
 23Likes
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 30 (permalink) Old 06-04-2018, 01:22 PM Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2018
Location: Europe/ Austria
Posts: 134
Road laws for bikers in different countries?

Im a bit courious about laws, e.g. the USA, but also in other countries.

In Austria and all other countries of the EU there are laws for
wearing a helmet: bikers have to wear always a helmet by law and it will be enforced. If you dont, the police stops you, puts a fine on you and first you have to get a helmet before you may resume your ride. One time, I rode my bike for a lenght of 150 meters without a helmet for a short trip to a shop and bad luck, 2 officers appeared and had me fined. 50 USD.
behavior in traffic jams: if a jam occurs on roads with crossings (and lights) or crossings with railways a biker may snake his way through the stopped cars very slowly. When the cars begin to move, he has to form a queue with the cars again. The law says: "you may snake your way to the head of the queue if your purpose is, to take your position directly in front of the crossing"
But on motorways, freeways with no crossings at all, you are forbidden to wriggle along in front of the cars. The law says, "there can be no purpose to get to a stop light on a crossing, because there are no, so you have to hold your position in a traffic jam on a freeway or motorway."
But no biker respects this law on motorways...
drivers license
years ago, in Austria you got a drivers license for bikes from 51ccm up to nowhere. I have one of them.
Now, the licenses are categorized: you need an easy test fur the 125ccms, above them to 48hp another license and above them a full license. The rebel 500 needs a license for bikes until 48hp, not the full license.

Whatss about the situation in the different states of the USA? Helmet, Behavior in traffic jams or drivers- license? Or other laws about bikers?
rebelwithoutacause likes this.
Rebelstonewalljackson is offline  
post #2 of 30 (permalink) Old 06-04-2018, 01:33 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Posts: 814
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rebelstonewalljackson View Post
Im a bit courious about laws, e.g. the USA, but also in other countries.

In Austria and all other countries of the EU there are laws for
wearing a helmet: bikers have to wear always a helmet by law and it will be enforced. If you dont, the police stops you, puts a fine on you and first you have to get a helmet before you may resume your ride. One time, I rode my bike for a lenght of 150 meters without a helmet for a short trip to a shop and bad luck, 2 officers appeared and had me fined. 50 USD.
behavior in traffic jams: if a jam occurs on roads with crossings (and lights) or crossings with railways a biker may snake his way through the stopped cars very slowly. When the cars begin to move, he has to form a queue with the cars again. The law says: "you may snake your way to the head of the queue if your purpose is, to take your position directly in front of the crossing"
But on motorways, freeways with no crossings at all, you are forbidden to wriggle along in front of the cars. The law says, "there can be no purpose to get to a stop light on a crossing, because there are no, so you have to hold your position in a traffic jam on a freeway or motorway."
But no biker respects this law on motorways...
drivers license
years ago, in Austria you got a drivers license for bikes from 51ccm up to nowhere. I have one of them.
Now, the licenses are categorized: you need an easy test fur the 125ccms, above them to 48hp another license and above them a full license. The rebel 500 needs a license for bikes until 48hp, not the full license.

Whatss about the situation in the different states of the USA? Helmet, Behavior in traffic jams or drivers- license? Or other laws about bikers?
USA is a bit hard because each state has its own set of road laws. I live in Pennsylvania and my laws are as follows.


Helmet: The law is you must wear a helmet. Unless you are over 21 and have over 2 years riding experience or have passed the MSF safety course.

Traffic Jams: In my state Lane Splitting(as it is called in the USA) is illegal.

License: For 49cc and under bikes and scooters, a motorcycle license is not allowed. Anything from 50cc and up requires a license and there is only one License you don't need different qualifications based on bike size.
shortyg83 is offline  
post #3 of 30 (permalink) Old 06-04-2018, 01:46 PM
Senior Member
 
dollarbill181's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2017
Location: Melrose Park, IL
Posts: 528
Quote:
Originally Posted by shortyg83 View Post
USA is a bit hard because each state has its own set of road laws. I live in Pennsylvania and my laws are as follows.


Helmet: The law is you must wear a helmet. Unless you are over 21 and have over 2 years riding experience or have passed the MSF safety course.

Traffic Jams: In my state Lane Splitting(as it is called in the USA) is illegal.

License: For 49cc and under bikes and scooters, a motorcycle license is not allowed. Anything from 50cc and up requires a license and there is only one License you don't need different qualifications based on bike size.
Illinois:

Helmet: Not required

Otherwise traffic jams is the same. Only exception is California I believe.
License is the same throughout our country.

2017 Honda Rebel 300 ABS
dollarbill181 is offline  
post #4 of 30 (permalink) Old 06-04-2018, 01:54 PM Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2018
Location: Europe/ Austria
Posts: 134
Thank you!

Ive found this, because you gave me the right wording "lane splitting":
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lane_s...g#Legal_status

There are the states of the USA where it is legal, illegal or are not defined.

Do you mean, for bikes with 49cc a motorcycle license is not allowed or not needed? In my clumsy english I compare "not allowed" with "forbidden".
Rebelstonewalljackson is offline  
post #5 of 30 (permalink) Old 06-04-2018, 01:55 PM
Senior Member
 
CueBaller's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Posts: 713
Quote:
Originally Posted by dollarbill181 View Post
Illinois:

Helmet: Not required

Otherwise traffic jams is the same. Only exception is California I believe.
License is the same throughout our country.
Actually, Illinois has a Class L license for motorcycles between 50cc and 149cc. Class M is for 150cc and up.

2017 Honda Rebel 500 - Black
CueBaller is offline  
post #6 of 30 (permalink) Old 06-04-2018, 01:58 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Posts: 814
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rebelstonewalljackson View Post
Thank you!

Ive found this, because you gave me the right wording "lane splitting":
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lane_s...g#Legal_status

There are the states of the USA where it is legal, illegal or are not defined.

Do you mean, for bikes with 49cc a motorcycle license is not allowed or not needed? In my clumsy english I compare "not allowed" with "forbidden".
In PA 49cc and lower a license is not required.
shortyg83 is offline  
post #7 of 30 (permalink) Old 06-04-2018, 02:02 PM
Senior Member
 
dollarbill181's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2017
Location: Melrose Park, IL
Posts: 528
Quote:
Originally Posted by CueBaller View Post
Actually, Illinois has a Class L license for motorcycles between 50cc and 149cc. Class M is for 150cc and up.
I stand corrected. Overlooked the "L" license. Never met anyone who went for the "L" instead of the "M". Same exact road test I've heard, just with a smaller machine.

2017 Honda Rebel 300 ABS
dollarbill181 is offline  
post #8 of 30 (permalink) Old 06-04-2018, 02:26 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Location: Long Island, NY
Posts: 139
Garage
New York: - Helmet required
- Lane splitting is not allowed
- Motorcycle license required for anything with a top speed over "30-40mph". I took
my motorcycle test on a 49cc scooter which had a top speed of about 38mph at the
time.

Last edited by Jskafff; 06-04-2018 at 02:29 PM.
Jskafff is offline  
post #9 of 30 (permalink) Old 06-04-2018, 02:58 PM Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2018
Location: Europe/ Austria
Posts: 134
So this Class L is nearly the same as in Austria for bikers from 50cc up to 125cc.
A lot of car drivers hold this license, because the dont want to pass the full license for bikers, but sometimes like to drive a scooter or a small bike. This license includes only 6 hours theoretical lessons and a short training without an examen.
Rebelstonewalljackson is offline  
post #10 of 30 (permalink) Old 06-04-2018, 03:01 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
Location: Long Beach, CA.
Posts: 664
Garage
California, helmet required.
Lane splitting, yes
License, same license for all motorcycles. There is a requirement for a safety course if you are under 21. Over 21 you can use the license course instead of a driving test.

Funny story, when I got my license in New York you were not required to have regular drivers license. That did change shortly after I got my license. When I moved to California I had never had a drivers license or even driven a car. When I went to switch my motorcycle license they told me that I could not because I needed to take a motorcycle road test. I scheduled my motorcycle road test but the DMV issued me a car drivers license. No written test or road test. Go figure.

2019 Honda Shadow Aero 750, 2017 Honda Rebel 500 (SOLD), 2018 Kawasaki Vulcan S 650 (SOLD)
longbeachgary is online now  
Reply

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome