• 1 Post By Techsniffer
  • 1 Post By Rebelution
  • 1 Post By Techsniffer
  • 2 Post By norm92de
  • 3 Post By Kenny G

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-29-2018, 11:23 AM Thread Starter

Rotella T6?

Anybody running Rotella T6 5W-40 oil? It's JASO-MA certified, but not the viscosity range of 10W-30 that Honda recommends in the owner's manual. So would the Rotella T6 be too thin/thick?
post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-29-2018, 11:37 AM

Garage
Generally speaking, sticking with the Manufacture’s recommendations will assist in ensuring longevity of your machine. However, the 5W-40 shouldn’t be a problem. Don't worry about the oil being too thick, as the 40 portion of the 5W-40 designation refers to the oil film thickness (viscosity) at high temperatures.
At ambient temperature, the 5W-40 should be slightly thinner than the 10W-30, but will maintain its viscosity up to the point at which a straight 40 weight oil would begin to thin from exposure to high temperature.

See Quote below from Total's website:
“Viscosity is notated with the common "XW-XX." The number preceding the "W" rates the oil's flow at 0 degrees Fahrenheit (-17.8 degrees Celsius). The "W" stands for winter, not weight as many people think. The lower the number here, the less it thickens in the cold. So 5W-30 viscosity engine oil thickens less in the cold than a 10W-30, but more than a 0W-30. An engine in a colder climate, where motor oil tends to thicken because of lower temperatures, would benefit from 0W or 5W viscosity. A car in Death Valley would need a higher number to keep the oil from thinning out too much.
The second number after the "W" indicates the oil's viscosity measured at 212 degrees Fahrenheit (100 degrees Celsius). This number represents the oil's resistance to thinning at high temperatures. For example, 10W-30 oil will thin out at higher temperatures faster than 10W-40 will.
Monograde oils such as SAE 30, 40 or 50 are no longer used in latest automotive engines, but may be required for use in some vintage and antique engines. Straight SAE 30 oil is often specified for small air-cooled engines in lawnmowers, garden tractors, portable generators and gas-powered chain saws.”
Rebelution likes this.

When in doubt,
Ride it out.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-29-2018, 11:41 AM Thread Starter

Thanks. I got scared and just ordered the Honda GN4 10W-30 Motorcycle Oil and Honda 15410-MFJ-D01 Oil Filter 2 Pack for this initial break-in first oil-change.
post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-29-2018, 12:04 PM
Banned

Devil's advocate:

If you had any engine issues later and if the shop/dealer you took it to to get fixed found out you're using the wrong oil it could give them a scapegoat to not fix the problem under warranty. Not saying that will happen, but when my vehicle is under mfg warranty I will do nothing to jeopardize that.
Kenny G likes this.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-29-2018, 12:17 PM

Garage
I use the Lucas Synthetic 10w30 motorcycle oil, have ran it for the past 3000kms and noticed that the shifting is much smoother.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	z10_10708_MC Syn10W30_QT.jpg
Views:	91
Size:	91.4 KB
ID:	19578  

"Happiness is a full tank of fuel"
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-29-2018, 12:24 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Techsniffer View Post
Devil's advocate:

If you had any engine issues later and if the shop/dealer you took it to to get fixed found out you're using the wrong oil it could give them a scapegoat to not fix the problem under warranty. Not saying that will happen, but when my vehicle is under mfg warranty I will do nothing to jeopardize that.
And also to note: It is nice to use DINO oil (non synth) for the 1st 5K miles or so, so mating surfaces "seat" so to say.

Magnuson–Moss Warranty Act protects you so you can do your own maintenance though: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Magnus...s_Warranty_Act
Kenny G likes this.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-29-2018, 12:44 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rebelution View Post
Magnuson–Moss Warranty Act protects you so you can do your own maintenance though: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Magnus...s_Warranty_Act
Yes, but doesn't protect you if you go against the mfg recommendations, like oil type etc. Trust me the mfg will use anything it can to get out of paying a warranty claim.
Kenny G likes this.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-29-2018, 06:56 PM

Rebelution,
On the Suzuki S40 forum they are almost religious about Rotella T6. I have an S40 and thus far have not used Rotella, I use Mobil1 but am going to try Rotella on my next oil change.

Some of the guys on the Suzuki site have achieved phenomenal mileage using Rotella so I have decided to give it a try.
Kenny G and Tree like this.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-29-2018, 08:34 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by norm92de View Post
Rebelution,
On the Suzuki S40 forum they are almost religious about Rotella T6. I have an S40 and thus far have not used Rotella, I use Mobil1 but am going to try Rotella on my next oil change.

Some of the guys on the Suzuki site have achieved phenomenal mileage using Rotella so I have decided to give it a try.
I used Rotella T6 with a half ounce of Redline addative to an oil change. The reason the experienced guys on the forum recommend T6 is because of the primitive design of the S40 engine. The cam rides in machined holes in the aluminum head and they are known to wear incredibly fast.

I believe in the case of a Honda engine under warranty it is best to buy Honda Oil & Honda Oil Filters from the dealer where you purchased the bike. And have the clerk record our mileage on the invoice....Take pics of the odometer when you change oil and file with your service records..

Kenny G
Lyoko, Tree and R80rt like this.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page