Chain maintenance! - Honda Rebel 300 & 500 Forum
 12Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-05-2018, 01:09 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Chain maintenance!

What's up guys and gals? I recently began a YouTube motovlog called 'Moto Noir' and I thought I'd share a video I made about chain maintenance on the 2017 Honda Rebel...well, at least how I have to get it done in Brooklyn. I hope you find this video useful, at the very least, entertaining. Shamelessly plugging myself?... ...naww, it's perfect for this forum!

I've learned so much from reading this forum and I'm so happy it exists! Big 'thank you' to all of you...

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-05-2018, 01:25 PM
Super Moderator

Garage
I watched to see how you lifted the rear.
ryan likes this.

Keith from Maine USA - Rebel R1
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-05-2018, 01:32 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 01-7700 View Post
I watched to see how you lifted the rear.
Not the best way to do it, I know. It holds pretty firm though, as long as you have a way of holding the front tire in place. I'm just uber-careful when doing things the way I do.
post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-05-2018, 02:27 PM
Super Moderator

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryan View Post
Not the best way to do it, I know. It holds pretty firm though, as long as you have a way of holding the front tire in place. I'm just uber-careful when doing things the way I do.
It's fine as long as you know the limitations.

Keith from Maine USA - Rebel R1
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-05-2018, 03:36 PM
Super Moderator

Garage
A few tips and pointers, if I may:
- Cardboard. When using such a spray bottle as you do, you should cover the tire/rim with a piece of cardboard, so that you don't get keroseneall over the place where you don't want it. Possibly place some under the bike as well, as the kerosene and lube tends to drip a bit.
- Chain oiler. AKA GreaseNinja. This little thingy is quite genius, because it makes sure that you only apply the chain lube where you actually need it. Because it's only the O-rings that needs lubing, not the whole darn chain as many believes.

Hope this may help in the future, happy cleaning!

Lyoko - Black Rebel 500
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-05-2018, 04:49 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lyoko-Code View Post
A few tips and pointers, if I may:
- Cardboard. When using such a spray bottle as you do, you should cover the tire/rim with a piece of cardboard, so that you don't get keroseneall over the place where you don't want it. Possibly place some under the bike as well, as the kerosene and lube tends to drip a bit.
- Chain oiler. AKA GreaseNinja. This little thingy is quite genius, because it makes sure that you only apply the chain lube where you actually need it. Because it's only the O-rings that needs lubing, not the whole darn chain as many believes.

Hope this may help in the future, happy cleaning!
Awesome! Thanks for the pointers!
Lyoko likes this.

YouTube Channel Moto Noir
2017 Honda Rebel 300 Owner from Brooklyn, NY
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-06-2018, 11:25 AM

Always thought it was the whole chain that required lubing! So I've been doing this wring my whole life.
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-06-2018, 07:41 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lyoko-Code View Post
....Because it's only the O-rings that needs lubing, not the whole darn chain as many believes...........
It's actually the O-rings and the rollers and the inner side plates (reduce wear over the sprockets), and the lube on the outside of the side plates helps prevent crud sticking to the chain and reduces corrosion.

I remember the good old days where you would remove the chain, wash it in a basin of kerosine and then boil it in a can of chain lube (usually on the kitchen stove, much to the annoyance of you know who).

You then lifted the hot chain out of the liquid and hung it up to drain. When it was cool you put it back on the bike. Messiest part of motorcycling in the old days.
Kenny G likes this.
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-06-2018, 08:08 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimInOz View Post
It's actually the O-rings and the rollers and the inner side plates (reduce wear over the sprockets), and the lube on the outside of the side plates helps prevent crud sticking to the chain and reduces corrosion.

I remember the good old days where you would remove the chain, wash it in a basin of kerosine and then boil it in a can of chain lube (usually on the kitchen stove, much to the annoyance of you know who).

You then lifted the hot chain out of the liquid and hung it up to drain. When it was cool you put it back on the bike. Messiest part of motorcycling in the old days.
Jim,

I can remember those days.

Kenny G
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-07-2018, 07:33 AM
Super Moderator

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimInOz View Post
By all means, there is no such things as lubing a chain too much. It doesn't hurt in any way. With that said, what I was getting at was that it's mainly the o-rings that actually _need's_ the lube (and I kinda forgot about the rollers in the heat of the moment) So by all means, lube it to your hearts content
Kenny G and JimInOz like this.

Lyoko - Black Rebel 500

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page