Honda extended warranties ... - Honda Rebel 300 & 500 Forum
 5Likes
  • 2 Post By JimInOz
  • 2 Post By CGrazFL
  • 1 Post By Lyoko

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-28-2017, 06:30 PM Thread Starter

Honda extended warranties ...

I was thinking about adding a Honda extended warranty before my year warranty is up... the 5 year looks pretty good at around $700 or so...

What are your thoughts ? Do most Rebel owners opt for extended warranties thru Honda ?
post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-29-2017, 02:26 AM

Garage
You buy extended warranties for Harleys and Ducatis, not Hondas.

On a serious note. If you want to go with one, check the terms and conditions very, very closely.

A lot of them (bikes/cars/appliances etc.) have so many disclaimers/riders that you would have to fight to claim.

I've owned a number of bikes and never had the need to claim after the original warranty expired.
01-7700 and Lyoko like this.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-29-2017, 08:43 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimInOz View Post
You buy extended warranties for Harleys and Ducatis, not Hondas.

On a serious note. If you want to go with one, check the terms and conditions very, very closely.

A lot of them (bikes/cars/appliances etc.) have so many disclaimers/riders that you would have to fight to claim.

I've owned a number of bikes and never had the need to claim after the original warranty expired.
Agreed. There's so much red tape with the extended warranties, it's just not worth the money. I'm no mechanic, but I can handle the basic maintenance items in my garage. As long as I do my part and keep up with the basics, I'm confident it will be a very long time before I run into any major issues with my Rebel.

-CG
Kenny G and Lyoko like this.
post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-29-2017, 12:54 PM
Super Moderator

Garage
I've got 5 years warranty on the bike either way, don't have a say in it, but then again, and not a penny spent for it either.
I guess that one of the perks about living here in Norway, and with the EU outside the door basically.
2 year European warranty, and a 3 year Norwegian warranty. But I suppose half of the 5 years is a waste anyway, with us having winter and everything...

Anyhuw, back to topic. Besides the small issue with the display on the bikes, I really don't see what else can go wrong with them over time? It's a Honda after all. And the engine isn't a brand new one that's never been through trial and error. The only thing left really is the wiring, and I've got faith in Honda there too.
Only issue that might appear would be due to a manufacturing defect of sorts.
Kenny G likes this.

Lyoko - Black Rebel 500
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-29-2017, 06:39 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by CGrazFL View Post
Agreed. There's so much red tape with the extended warranties, it's just not worth the money. I'm no mechanic, but I can handle the basic maintenance items in my garage. As long as I do my part and keep up with the basics, I'm confident it will be a very long time before I run into any major issues with my Rebel.

-CG
Even with Honda making the warranty ? lots of red tape ? On their website they make it sound easy pezy if there is an issue... I know with third party companies it can be a hassle...

Motorcycles & Scooters 1-Year Warranty Protection Plan - Honda Powersports
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-29-2017, 08:43 PM

Garage
Never purchase a third part extended warranty.

The Honda Extended Warranty can be beneficial if you are going to do a lot of miles.

The only thing they exclude is the drive chain and fork seals....

Kenny G

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page