Checking your Engine Oil and Brake Fluid Levels - Honda Rebel 300 & 500 Forum
 55Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-15-2017, 02:14 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Checking your Engine Oil and Brake Fluid Levels

I've noticed a few comments where new owners are confused about the fluids in their bike so I thought I'd show you how to check your engine oil and brake fluid levels.

First, Engine oil.

The best time to do the check is about 5 minutes after a ride or the engine has run for 5, rest for 5 and then check.

The bike must be vertical for this, if it's on the side stand you will not see any oil (unless you've seriously overfilled the bike). So if you have a stand/jack etc just put it up on centre. If not, get a mate/girlfriend/wife/partner/mistress to hold the bike vertically for a few moments.

The oil level will be visible in the window near the foot brake pedal and should be between the upper and lower levels.

Here you can see mine is just below the full marking.

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-15-2017, 02:23 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Brake Fluid Level Check

If you don't know how to check your front brake master cylinder reservoir, you need a kick in the backside.

However, the rear brake reservoir level is a bit harder to see. The bike does not have to be level and can be on the side stand. Looking at the indicator window, all you can see is an opaque plastic window. Not much help is it. To get a decent observation, I use a small torch and shine it up from below the reservoir. The light now shows a full window of green/yellow, so this means that the fluid level is above the top of the viewing window, even on the side stand.

If you don't see any line in the window, you have plenty of brake fluid. If the window is white even with the torch trick, you need to investigate!

post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-15-2017, 02:36 AM Thread Starter

Garage
In the event you think there is no brake fluid left in the rear reservoir, here is how you check it.

Using a 5mm hex key, undo the cap screw just to the right of the window.

WARNING: The nut the screw goes into is a square captive screw, but captive only in two dimensions! If any force "inward" is applied, you will push the nut into the battery box!

First, loosen and undo the cap screw while at the same time, pulling gently on the bottom of the cover so that the unscrewing action isn't pushing the nut out of it's "almost captive" mount.

When the cover comes off, you will see the small plastic tank/reservoir and if it's empty it'll be obvious, as it will if it's completely full.

If you need to fill the reservoir, get plenty of rags to support it and catch any spills. Use a No2 Phillips screwdriver to remove the cap and diaphragm, top up with the specified fluid, replace and secure the cap and re-fit the reservoir, the support stud and brake hose tube support in place and secure with the 5mm cap screw.

Make sure you have all parts loosely in place and then position the screw and gently engage it with the captive nut and take up the slack. Check all items are in correct alignment and secure by tightening to medium "hand tight". Ensure the tabs at the rear of the cover are positioned under the upper cover as you secure everything away.

And that's all there is to it.

Hope it helps.

Cheers

Jim
post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-15-2017, 03:18 PM

Great advice Jim. What about engine coolant levels and refill?

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk
Kenny G and helopolis like this.
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-15-2017, 09:27 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Coolant Check and Refill

Quote:
Originally Posted by zohararad View Post
Great advice Jim. What about engine coolant levels and refill?

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk
OK, just for you

First thing: Ignore this, it should only be opened when necessary and when the bike is stone cold!

The coolant tank is mounted just forward of the swing arm pivot, near the ABS block (for ABS bikes). View from the rear. Note the bike still on the side stand so a true level isn't seen.

With the bike vertical and a torch shining from below it's quite easy to see the level. Here my bike is stone cold and the level is just above the LOWER marker.

The re-fill cap/spout is situated just above and behind the gear shift top bellcrank.

If you need to top up the coolant, some PVC tube and a silicone funnel are perfect for the task.
Caution: Make sure you use compatible approved coolant, or in an emergency, distilled water.

So there we have all of the fluids covered, hope it helps some of the newer owners.

Cheers

Jim
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-15-2017, 09:34 PM

Garage
awesome and helpful post!
Kenny G likes this.

I never knew nothing, so there's nothing to forget.
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-16-2017, 06:06 PM

Garage
This was a very informative post!

Thank you.
Kenny G likes this.

// Instagram: wanderebel_
// Youtube: wanderebel
// Link: https://goo.gl/DnmY5n
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-31-2018, 03:14 PM
Banned

Sticky this please?
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-31-2018, 03:32 PM
Super Moderator

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Techsniffer View Post
Sticky this please?
good idea - stickied
Lyoko likes this.

Keith from Maine USA - Rebel R1
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-21-2018, 03:58 PM

THX!

Maybe I never had found the coolant tank and its gauge on my own.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page