Okay to use WD40 against rust on the Rebel? - Honda Rebel 300 & 500 Forum
 22Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-07-2017, 12:51 PM Thread Starter

Okay to use WD40 against rust on the Rebel?

Heya friends,
Looking at the fork the other day I noticed some signs of rust on the rim of the lower frame connector (see picture).
Is it okay to use WD40 to clean this up? Is it generally okay to fight rust using WD40 on the Rebel?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	fork.jpg
Views:	294
Size:	184.9 KB
ID:	10057  
post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-07-2017, 01:18 PM
Super Moderator

Garage
I experienced the same on my bike, and made the dealership aware of this. They cleaned it up free of charge.
I also had some rust beginning in the frame number of the bike, they fixed that too at the same time.

But in general, WD40 ain't ment to be used as a rust remover or inhibitor.
Sure, it's ok to use, by all means, ain't gonna do any damage to the bike. But it ain't a "go to product" in terms of rust.
Kenny G likes this.

Lyoko - Black Rebel 500
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-07-2017, 04:35 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lyoko-Code View Post
But in general, WD40 ain't ment to be used as a rust remover or inhibitor.
Sure, it's ok to use, by all means, ain't gonna do any damage to the bike. But it ain't a "go to product" in terms of rust.
Oh, I see.. do you have any product recommendations for removing and then preventing rust on the Rebel's body?
post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-07-2017, 05:12 PM
Super Moderator

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by ithiel View Post
Oh, I see.. do you have any product recommendations for removing and then preventing rust on the Rebel's body?
Well, I suppose I do my fair share of talking "irish" when drunk, but that's kinda where my knowledge of Ireland stops. So to as what is available for you there compared to say here in Norway or in the US, I've got no idea. But, a trip to your local hardware store (I assume you guys have those? :P ) should get you going a long way. In these modern days there is so much products out there now that it's to get dizzy from. So take a trip there and grab an employe, or at an info desk, and simply ask away. But don't go for the cute girls behind the desk, they seldom know what you're asking even, so... yeah. Get an old wize guy instead.
However, as for an inhibitor, in the good old day and age I hear Tar was the thing to use! lol
Something a little less messy would simply be a clear coat of paint, or something similar, to seal off moisture and oxygen to prevent rusting.
Kenny G and jr_b17 like this.

Lyoko - Black Rebel 500
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-07-2017, 05:15 PM

Garage
I use spray wax to get at any rust that is difficult to clean up with Scotch Brite.

And keep the area waxed to prevent further rusting.

Kenny G
BlackSnow likes this.
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-07-2017, 05:39 PM Thread Starter

Thanks! for the tips. I suppose we do have some hardware stores near or around the 7193 pubs we have here
I also have some MC stores I sometimes visit but never could actually figure out my must-buy list for maintaining the Rebel yet.
So far I got some muc-off shampoo, chain-cleaner, dry chain lube and wax lube.
Lyoko likes this.
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-07-2017, 05:41 PM
Super Moderator

Garage
The problem area is an area that is hard to reach with wax products. It's between the fork and tree. I think WD-40 would be a good solution for this - or even better use kerosene and an eye dropper to keep the capillary space hydrophobic.
Lyoko and Roberto3 like this.

Keith from Maine USA - Rebel R1
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-07-2017, 07:47 PM
Super Moderator

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by ithiel View Post
Thanks! for the tips. I suppose we do have some hardware stores near or around the 7193 pubs we have here
I also have some MC stores I sometimes visit but never could actually figure out my must-buy list for maintaining the Rebel yet.
So far I got some muc-off shampoo, chain-cleaner, dry chain lube and wax lube.
Yeah, every bit of maintance and cleaning stuff will come bit by bit with time. But it's good that you're asking, rather than fumbling blindly in the darkness
ithiel likes this.

Lyoko - Black Rebel 500
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-07-2017, 08:02 PM
Super Moderator

Garage
I have a lot of experience in seeing what happens between the triple tree and the fork on 30+ year old bikes with no maintenance. If they still machine the upper fork tubes the same way they did in 1985, you don't need to worry about the rust between the fork and tree. BUT! If it were me I would put some petroleum product in there. 3-in-1 oil or K1 (kerosene).
Twizzian and ithiel like this.

Keith from Maine USA - Rebel R1
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-07-2017, 08:36 PM

Garage
One of the best rust inhibitors I've used is a lanolin based product, two brands I've used are "Lanotec" and "Lanox".
I worked in the shipbuilding industry and it was used to preserve steel cables and other fittings that seemed to rust overnight if not protected.

I've used it on my tools, gate hinges, lawn mower, in fact anything that needs lubrication/protection. When it's applied it seals small gaps preventing ingress of moisture and dries to a protective surface coating that can be removed with kerosene or citrus based cleaners etc.

Although these are Australian products I'm sure that equivalents would be available world wide.

I'd use these before WD40 any day.

See this flyer for info on Lanotec.

http://lanotec.com.au/wp-content/upl...Info-Sheet.pdf

And here for Lanox

MX4 LANOX Lanolin Lubricant - Inox Lubricants