Washing the Rebel - Honda Rebel 300 & 500 Forum
 14Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-14-2017, 11:12 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Washing the Rebel

Hey all,

My first ever bike (500a). It's gotten a little dirty. Rode a bit in a drizzle. I've seen the videos of guys soaking their bikes in soapy stuff then hosing it down with in between steps of spraying various solutions. Seems easy enough but now that I'm needing to wash mine I thought I'd check in with group to get some thoughts. Is it really safe to soak the ENTIRE bike!? Gauges, handlebars and all?? How have you been bathing your Rebel? Do I have to worry about anything in particular during and after the wash? Thanks for any insights..

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

((( The Thrilla ))) D E T R O I T
post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-15-2017, 01:20 AM

Garage
Thrilla,

I believe there is brief instruction on washing your bike in the little owners manual.

You don't want to use a lot of water pressure around fork seals, wheel bearings, and the electrical components.

We can ride in the rain without hurting our bikes so that tell you how safe it is. After you wash your bike take a spin around the block to shake the worst of the water off. Find a shady spot and dry your bike with a towel. Keep in mind that your tires are wet and the brakes are wet, ride carefully.

I use Tide Laundry Detergent in warm water for washing, and if I run into anything stubborn I use Gunk or Simple Green to remove grease or whatever. Do not try degreasing your chain while washing the bike.

Clean the chain separately, Honda makes products to clean and grease your chain.

Kenny G
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-15-2017, 08:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thrilla-Detroit View Post
Hey all,

My first ever bike (500a). It's gotten a little dirty. Rode a bit in a drizzle. I've seen the videos of guys soaking their bikes in soapy stuff then hosing it down with in between steps of spraying various solutions. Seems easy enough but now that I'm needing to wash mine I thought I'd check in with group to get some thoughts. Is it really safe to soak the ENTIRE bike!? Gauges, handlebars and all?? How have you been bathing your Rebel? Do I have to worry about anything in particular during and after the wash? Thanks for any insights..

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
To add to Kenny's post, I would suggest using a shampoo made specifically for a motorcycle or car. I still haven't washed mine yet because it's not that dirty. So what I may try is Meguiar's Ultimate Wash and Wax Anywhere (only on the painted surfaces) since there isn't much dirty on the bike. I'll try to remember to let you know how it works out for me. I would also recommend using the two bucket method to help keep your washing mitt clean to avoid swirling/ scratching. Other caveats to washing include; not washing in direct sunlight, waiting until the bike is cool to the touch, using clean microfibers not regular towels, etc.

Another thing to note is to not use wax on the matte surfaces. I believe they even mention this in the manual. I would suggest checking out some videos on YouTube or looking at other motorcycle forums for good washing methods for bikes.

Here is a link to Honda's website that has a pretty good overview on how to wash your motorcycle.

Best of luck and let us know how it goes!
Thrilla-Detroit likes this.
post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-15-2017, 09:43 AM

Garage
Your all allot more careful than me. haha. I take a hose and soak it. Car wash with a microfiber cloth to wipe, rince it off. I don't use allot of pressure though. lol. I dry it off with a soft cloth, and then go over it with a spray wax that you can use on painted and non painted surfaces. then I clean the chain with spray nine, then re-lube the chain.
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-15-2017, 03:52 PM

Garage
I like the Honda instructions........."Clean it with a sponge or soft cloth using cool water. Donít squirt water at muffler outlets and electrical parts. Do squirt small children in the immediate vicinity."
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-15-2017, 05:06 PM

What about the air cleaner areas? Should that be removed and plug inserted? Should be even invest in plugs for washing?
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-15-2017, 05:22 PM

I just hose mine down with the shower setting on the nozzle (same as rain, right?), making sure not to spray into the exhaust.

Then wipe it dry and polish it up.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk

2017 Honda Rebel 500 - Black
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-29-2017, 11:09 AM

Garage
Question Washing the Matte Finish?

Not to revise an older thread but anyone have any good ideas what to use on the matte silver rebel, My bike is getting dirty and I am wanting to wash it while the weather is still somewhat nice- the manual says to use only a mild detergent and not to use polish or wax on that finish- so wondering what would be a usable "mild detergent" to wash the bike down- everything I have in my garage (used on my truck) has some sort of wax or polish ingredient on the label to leave a shine on the paint- so what are my fellow rebel riders with matte finish using?

Thanks

Jay Blaze
2017 Rebel 300
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-29-2017, 01:34 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Jay Blaze View Post
Not to revise an older thread but anyone have any good ideas what to use on the matte silver rebel, My bike is getting dirty and I am wanting to wash it while the weather is still somewhat nice- the manual says to use only a mild detergent and not to use polish or wax on that finish- so wondering what would be a usable "mild detergent" to wash the bike down- everything I have in my garage (used on my truck) has some sort of wax or polish ingredient on the label to leave a shine on the paint- so what are my fellow rebel riders with matte finish using?

Thanks
Jay,

I have waxed the matte finish fenders on my bike. I have used both Johnson's Paste Wax and spray on wax.

Both make the matte finish shine a bit, and look really good.

Kenny G
Mr Jay Blaze likes this.
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-29-2017, 01:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Jay Blaze View Post

Thanks
Someone correct me if i'm wrong, but I think liquid soap (kind used for dishes) would be fine.
Goodtwin likes this.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page