Chain Maintenance - Honda Rebel 300 & 500 Forum
 53Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 80 (permalink) Old 06-30-2017, 01:44 AM Thread Starter

Chain Maintenance

Yesterday I bought a swing arm stand which didn't work because it was too short and the stock muffler got in the way. So I returned the stand and the part guy at Honda suggested that I try a wheel roller. I ordered one from harbor freight for $22, should do the job.

https://www.harborfreight.com/motorc...and-98800.html

Their is also a demo video:

Aloha!

Last edited by Shawn808; 06-30-2017 at 01:49 AM.
post #2 of 80 (permalink) Old 06-30-2017, 07:15 AM

Garage
Thanks for the info, looks pretty cool, a good way to check the tires.
post #3 of 80 (permalink) Old 06-30-2017, 10:46 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shawn808 View Post
Yesterday I bought a swing arm stand which didn't work because it was too short and the stock muffler got in the way. So I returned the stand and the part guy at Honda suggested that I try a wheel roller. I ordered one from harbor freight for $22, should do the job.

https://www.harborfreight.com/motorc...and-98800.html

Their is also a demo video:

https://youtu.be/xdb_4ob_2yU

Aloha!
I just got a stand as well but haven't tried it yet. Mind linking which stand you bought that was too short? If it's the same one looks like I'll need to start the refund process
post #4 of 80 (permalink) Old 07-01-2017, 02:02 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chritty View Post
I just got a stand as well but haven't tried it yet. Mind linking which stand you bought that was too short? If it's the same one looks like I'll need to start the refund process
This is the stand that I bought and ended up returning.
http://www.bikebandit.com/manuals-to...num-rear-stand
post #5 of 80 (permalink) Old 07-01-2017, 11:17 AM
Super Moderator

Garage
Had a trip to my dealership today, and asked about how it was in regards of using a stand for the Rebel. They said that there isn't really much options for it, but they did have a universial one, wich instead of using "hooks" on the stand, it had like L shaped pieces that would go underneat the frame, and as such lift it up. Both sides had a rod with springs on them, so that when you adjusted it to the frame and lifted it they woudn't move and holde the bike securely. Was pretty neat actually.

Looked kinda like the one in the picture.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	n690.png
Views:	372
Size:	154.9 KB
ID:	2289  
post #6 of 80 (permalink) Old 07-01-2017, 01:02 PM

Yeah, that's the type you need to lift via the swingarms, though I don't know that it would work with the stock exhaust.

The kind with hooks are designed to lift via spools (I think that's what they're called) that you have to add to the rear wheel mounts.
post #7 of 80 (permalink) Old 07-01-2017, 03:43 PM

Garage
So I went ahead and canceled my order and went ahead and just used the scissor stand in my car to get the rear wheel up. Took no time at all and was very stable. Chain is cleaned and waxed!
Lyoko likes this.
post #8 of 80 (permalink) Old 07-07-2017, 11:36 PM

Garage
I have used my Harbor Freight Wheel Cleaning Stand for years on several different motorbikes and it works as advertised.

Years a go I built a simple gantry to lift either the front end or back end of a bike up to work on it and it works quite well.

One of the disadvantages of the Rebel's engine being part of the frame I am not too keen on some some of the common stands that would lift the bike from the center, which is the engine on a Rebel.

Picture of gantry.

Kenny G

Name:	IMG_0278.JPG
Views:	347
Size:	468.6 KB
ID:	2385
post #9 of 80 (permalink) Old 07-09-2017, 10:55 AM
Super Moderator

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenny G View Post
I have used my Harbor Freight Wheel Cleaning Stand for years on several different motorbikes and it works as advertised.

Years a go I built a simple gantry to lift either the front end or back end of a bike up to work on it and it works quite well.

One of the disadvantages of the Rebel's engine being part of the frame I am not too keen on some some of the common stands that would lift the bike from the center, which is the engine on a Rebel.

Picture of gantry.

Kenny G

Attachment 2385
That's patent looks rather interesting Kenny.
Could you perhaps show a picture of it when in use, to demonstrate how it works?
Might just build my own here, have been thinking about a solution such as this to make things more easy.
JimInOz likes this.
post #10 of 80 (permalink) Old 07-09-2017, 12:42 PM

Garage
Lyoko,

The next time that I have a motorbike to work on I will use the gantry and take a picture.

The winch is a boat winch from amazon and I pit a lifting strap wrapped around the handlebars to lift the front end. I am not sure where to pickup the Rebel to work on the back wheel.

After I have the motorbike lifted high enough to work on it I stack some lumber under the engine to steady the bike, and pound a wedge under the back wheel while I wrench on it. You need to clamp the cross brace to the gantry before you lift the bike to make the gantry stay in place while you are working.

I can't figure out how to attach an image of the gantry in use.

Kenny G
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_0287.JPG
Views:	331
Size:	508.6 KB
ID:	2449  
JimInOz likes this.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page