1st Oil Change on 2019 300 - Honda Rebel 300 & 500 Forum
 5Likes
  • 5 Post By SC48

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 1 (permalink) Old 08-17-2019, 11:05 PM Thread Starter

1st Oil Change on 2019 300

Decided to cheap out and refused to pay the dealership 200 min plus tax for the 1000km (600miles) "service" so I just went for it myself - how hard could it be??

I didn't do anything beyond oil and a basic once over making sure all is fine. Nothing different from a pre ride check tbh. Don't have a stand yet, so I didn't lube the chain, but it seems fine, I've never had the bike out in rain, and the manual doesn't say to do anything with it at this service interval anyway.

The total cost of parts was about 30 bucks or so (2L of GN4 oil - only used 1.5l - filter, filter gasket X2 just in case, and drain bolt washer X2 just in case). I also wanted to get extra filter cover bolts (8mm) just in case one snaps, but they were out of stock.

I'm mechanically "ok" overall in terms of skill - I have the patience to follow instructions - but this was my first ever oil change on a bike and I thought it went ok. Good advice from posts here and a YouTube 5 min tutorial specific to the 300. I think it was easy...most certainly not worth 200+ for a "pro" to leave marks all over your ride...

Made a huge mess on the garage floor, even though I was careful and prepped my work area, covered the header pipe, and placed buckets below any potential leak spots. That filter cover loves to drizzle oil everywhere as soon as you loosen a couple bolts.

Anyway, the job was super easy overall. 30mins, including clean up and me being extra cautious.

I did have a low torque wrench, but didn't feel comfortable using it at first...was starting to feel a little too tight for comfort on those 4 filter cover bolts that I read tend to snap easy. Just tightened the drain plug and filter bolts till it felt tight. Read some horror stories about those filter bolts snapping because the manual calls for 9ft-lb torque, but the bolts can't seem to handle more than 6ish. I did go back and slowly torqued all the bolts, nothing snapped, which is great. 8mm at 6.6ft-lb and drain bolt at 16.

Word of advice: don't delay the 1st service to get rid of that break in oil. I rode it till 1160kms (725miles) and the oil was pitch black. Pic below. I was contemplating leaving the oil change until just before I have to put it away for the brutal winter ahead in a couple months to avoid doing another oil change, glad I didn't. Honestly, I would probably change it a lot sooner than the manual calls for..

Moral of this long story...if you want to save a couple hundred...do your own oil changes, it isn't rocket science. Save your money for mods or more serious jobs.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20190817_190642_1566097315619.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	114.0 KB
ID:	29471  
Kenny G, Odin, dsctr3 and 2 others like this.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page