5Likes
  • 1 Post By Kenny G
  • 1 Post By R80rt
  • 3 Post By holypotatoes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 07-19-2019, 10:00 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Cool Impact Driver

From time to time when the discussion comes up about loosening the bolts that attach the rear fenders on the Rebels and someone will mention that they used their impact driver to loosen the bolts. What size impact driver do you guys use?

All my cordless drills are worn out and as I look for a replacement I see combinations with a cordless drill and a cordless impact driver such as:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...KIKX0DER&psc=1

Are you referring to something like the impact driver shown here?

I do have an old hand held KD Manufacturing hand held, hammer driven impact driver left over from working on old Harleys.

I guess I am looking for recommendations.

Kenny G
R80rt likes this.
post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 07-19-2019, 10:41 AM

Garage
I still use the old hammer powered one, maybe I should catch up with the rest of the world too.
Kenny G likes this.

Only a fool would attempt it, and God help me, I am that fool.

2018 Rebel 500
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 07-19-2019, 10:43 AM

I personally recommend the handheld hammer driver for removal. An oldy but a goody. Especially with the bolts on the Rebel which are surprisingly tough to remove. When I was just trying to get the speedometer bolts off the actual aluminum housing broke off before those bolts budged. The problem with battery impacts, especially with these allen bolt heads, is that they spin a little too fast and want to strip out the head. I do recommend using the battery impact when putting the bolts back on though.

I'd say the one you linked would work fine. Craftsman has a good reputation, although I've never used any of their power tools. I've currently been using the Masterforce Flexpower combo that I got from one of my favorite places: Menards. I actually had gotten them cheaper than that price as they were a clearanced item at the time that I bought them. They've both been working great for the last 3 or so years, and I haven't been too gentle on them. Though I'm not a daily user of them like say a true mechanic or construction worker would be so I can't verify longevity in that regard.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page