bad idea or a good one? stand for bike - Honda Rebel 300 & 500 Forum
 4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-10-2019, 08:26 AM Thread Starter

bad idea or a good one? stand for bike

i bought new suspension for the front and the rear i want to lift the whole bike my idea is to flip the footpegs upside down and put two jacks underneath them to raise the rear of the bike, then i was going to stack 2 or 3 cinder blocks on each side of the handlebars and use two more jacks to lift the front end of the bike by the handlebars. all the weight would be split between the footpegs and handlebars. does this sound like a good or bad idea? i just don't want to buy everything and set it up and it fails somehow.
post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-10-2019, 11:11 AM

Id keep thinking on that one. Lots of support stuff in the way. A jack under the rear frame is all ya need for the rear.
In the past I have used a jack under the front and a strap over the rafters or a tree branch for the front, but I have learned that a good lift or stand is money well spent.
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-10-2019, 11:16 AM Thread Starter

so i should just buy a jack and remove the exhaust at the header?
post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-10-2019, 05:07 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyinbrianbmx View Post
i bought new suspension for the front and the rear i want to lift the whole bike my idea is to flip the footpegs upside down and put two jacks underneath them to raise the rear of the bike, then i was going to stack 2 or 3 cinder blocks on each side of the handlebars and use two more jacks to lift the front end of the bike by the handlebars. all the weight would be split between the footpegs and handlebars. does this sound like a good or bad idea? i just don't want to buy everything and set it up and it fails somehow.

If you want to raise the rear wheel, I suggest a Harbor Freight (or any other brand) rear wheel tilt type lift, lifts from the swing arm to raise the wheel off the ground.

For the front wheel, I cut a U in a 4x6 wood header, put it under the motor (the U makes space for the exhaust pipe), then lift the front with a sizer type jack under the header piece of wood.

You must make sure that the bike is secure with tie downs in some manner so the bike can't fall over from side to side.

You only have today, go for a ride

Ride and be Free

2018 Rebel 300

Last edited by dsctr3; 05-10-2019 at 05:15 PM.
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-10-2019, 07:08 PM

Garage
Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsctr3 View Post
If you want to raise the rear wheel, I suggest a Harbor Freight (or any other brand) rear wheel tilt type lift, lifts from the swing arm to raise the wheel off the ground.

For the front wheel, I cut a U in a 4x6 wood header, put it under the motor (the U makes space for the exhaust pipe), then lift the front with a sizer type jack under the header piece of wood.

You must make sure that the bike is secure with tie downs in some manner so the bike can't fall over from side to side.
Show us a pic of the 4x6 that you cut for an engine lift.

Kenny G
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-11-2019, 08:27 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsctr3 View Post

couldn't use the harbor freight one that lift by the swingarm because the suspension in the rear need to be free and not under load.. I've found a different way I'm going to try with a ladder. watch this video
starts at 2:20
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-11-2019, 11:51 AM

Garage
You can change out the rear shocks without lifting the bike at all while it's on the side stand with no problems at all just do one side at a time. On the front, if you are just changing out the springs all you'll nee to do is release the pressure on the front forks about 4 to 6 inches the ladder or a rafter in the garage will do the same. You'll more than likely want to remove the handle bars to give you clearance to pull the springs out so don't strap it by the bars.
Odin likes this.
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-13-2019, 08:30 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Showmeguy66 View Post
You can change out the rear shocks without lifting the bike at all while it's on the side stand with no problems at all just do one side at a time. On the front, if you are just changing out the springs all you'll nee to do is release the pressure on the front forks about 4 to 6 inches the ladder or a rafter in the garage will do the same. You'll more than likely want to remove the handle bars to give you clearance to pull the springs out so don't strap it by the bars.
Something amazing happened actually, i went to ace hardware and bought two jack stands and put them under both foot pegs (flip upside down) and the bike actually teeter totters perfectly back and forth, i was able to replace my front springs way easier than i thought it was going to be! Btw i switched to ohlins springs and the difference is unbelievable, the control i have over bumps and turns is literally a million times better, i used to stand up a little when going over a pot hole and now the bike just eats it up, (not going to make a habit of running into pot holes this was purely for testing purposes) This has to be the most noticeable change I've made on the bike for sure.

2016 Rebel 500 non ABS
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-22-2019, 07:48 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenny G View Post

Kenny G

I would like to post photo's, but they don't work when I go to attachments and try to post.

If someone can help it would be appreciated.

Ride and be Free

2018 Rebel 300

Last edited by dsctr3; 05-22-2019 at 07:52 PM.
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-24-2019, 11:32 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenny G View Post

Kenny G
A photo of 4x6, it has enough room to add small blocks if needed where motor isn't flat
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	001.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	150.0 KB
ID:	28209  
Kenny G and RupertC like this.

Ride and be Free

2018 Rebel 300

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page