Honda Rebel 300, 500, & 1100 Forum banner

bad idea or a good one? stand for bike

4K views 11 replies 6 participants last post by  dsctr3 
#1 ·
i bought new suspension for the front and the rear i want to lift the whole bike my idea is to flip the footpegs upside down and put two jacks underneath them to raise the rear of the bike, then i was going to stack 2 or 3 cinder blocks on each side of the handlebars and use two more jacks to lift the front end of the bike by the handlebars. all the weight would be split between the footpegs and handlebars. does this sound like a good or bad idea? i just don't want to buy everything and set it up and it fails somehow.

#2 ·
I’d keep thinking on that one. Lots of support stuff in the way. A jack under the rear frame is all ya need for the rear.
In the past I have used a jack under the front and a strap over the rafters or a tree branch for the front, but I have learned that a good lift or stand is money well spent.

#4 · (Edited)
If you want to raise the rear wheel, I suggest a Harbor Freight (or any other brand) rear wheel tilt type lift, lifts from the swing arm to raise the wheel off the ground.

For the front wheel, I cut a U in a 4x6 wood header, put it under the motor (the U makes space for the exhaust pipe), then lift the front with a sizer type jack under the header piece of wood.

You must make sure that the bike is secure with tie downs in some manner so the bike can't fall over from side to side.

#7 ·
You can change out the rear shocks without lifting the bike at all while it's on the side stand with no problems at all just do one side at a time. On the front, if you are just changing out the springs all you'll nee to do is release the pressure on the front forks about 4 to 6 inches the ladder or a rafter in the garage will do the same. You'll more than likely want to remove the handle bars to give you clearance to pull the springs out so don't strap it by the bars.

#8 ·
Something amazing happened actually, i went to ace hardware and bought two jack stands and put them under both foot pegs (flip upside down) and the bike actually teeter totters perfectly back and forth, i was able to replace my front springs way easier than i thought it was going to be! Btw i switched to ohlins springs and the difference is unbelievable, the control i have over bumps and turns is literally a million times better, i used to stand up a little when going over a pot hole and now the bike just eats it up, (not going to make a habit of running into pot holes this was purely for testing purposes) This has to be the most noticeable change I've made on the bike for sure.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.