• 2 Post By Charp
  • 1 Post By Kenny G
  • 1 Post By Charp
  • 3 Post By 01-7700

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-07-2019, 07:58 PM Thread Starter

Torque Wrench - 3/8 good enough

Hi All,

I just purchased my first bike - Rebel 300 ABS. As soon as the rest of my riding gear is delivered, I'll take it for my first ride outside of the motorcycle course. Can't wait!

Okay, so on to my maintenance question. I plan to do as much of the maintenance as possible on my own so I'm looking to buy a Torque wrench, but I'm not sure what size I'll need. Here's the one I'm looking at on Amazon.

It's rated from 10-80 ft.-lb., which seems like the right range based on info in the owner's manual, but I'm not sure 3/8 is the right size drive. Would 1/4 or 1/2 be better?

Thanks in advance for the input!
post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-07-2019, 08:03 PM

That pretty much depends on what size drive fits the sockets you have.

Otherwise, if the wrench is rated for the proper torque ranges, it'll work, regardless of drive size.

2017 Honda Rebel 500 - Black
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-07-2019, 08:47 PM
Super Moderator

Garage
so that looks to be about a foot long - if you need to pull 80 ft lbs - that's an 80 lb pull on the end of that wrench

not the easiest thing to do with finesse - a longer wrench with a 1/2 to 3/8 adapter would be easier to use

the opposite occurs for lower torques, a shorter wrench works better
Kenny G likes this.

Keith from Maine USA - Rebel R1
post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-07-2019, 11:41 PM

Garage
Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charp View Post
Hi All,

I just purchased my first bike - Rebel 300 ABS. As soon as the rest of my riding gear is delivered, I'll take it for my first ride outside of the motorcycle course. Can't wait!

Okay, so on to my maintenance question. I plan to do as much of the maintenance as possible on my own so I'm looking to buy a Torque wrench, but I'm not sure what size I'll need. Here's the one I'm looking at on Amazon.

It's rated from 10-80 ft.-lb., which seems like the right range based on info in the owner's manual, but I'm not sure 3/8 is the right size drive. Would 1/4 or 1/2 be better?

Thanks in advance for the input!
I have a 1/4" drive for the small stuff that is in Inch/LB, and a 3/8" drive torque wrench for the bigger stuff. If you are going to do any serious engine work you may need a 1/2" drive torque wrench.

That being said; I never broke off a stud, or a bolt, before acquiring my first torque wrench. If you use the proper size wrench and practice tightening until you reach the point of "Good N' Tight" you can't go wrong. I was taught to never put the tools away until after taking a test ride, and then come back and double check everything you previously tightened. I have never had a bike come apart after I have worked on it.
Good Luck,

Kenny G
Showmeguy66, Odin, dsctr3 and 1 others like this.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-08-2019, 08:07 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the replies. This helps a lot. I don't plan on doing any engine work, so going with a 1/4 and 3/8 drive seem like the best way to go and gives me an excuse to buy more tools. ;-)
Kenny G and R80rt like this.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-08-2019, 08:41 PM

Garage
Charp,

The first tool you are going to need is the longest breaker bar you can afford. Get a 1/2" drive and an adapter to 3/8" drive.
Harbor tools will good enough until you decide just how much wrenching you are going to do
Second tool is going to be the best pneumatic impact driver you can afford.
When you purchase combination wrenches get 6 pt. rather than 12 pt. Craftsmen has a set available through Amazon.
You can wait until you have some experience before purchasing torque wrenches.

Good Luck,
Kenny G
dsctr3 likes this.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-09-2019, 03:45 PM

Garage
If you only have a small compressor that wont run a air impact, you could get an electric impact wrench.

I use a 20v battery impact for taking parts off and putting bolts on before final torquing them

As Kenny G stated you can get most needed tools for a beginner at Harbor freight, if there is one near you. There tools are getting better than in the past.

You only have today, go for a ride

Ride and be Free

2018 Rebel 300
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-09-2019, 07:11 PM Thread Starter

Maybe I should qualify my earlier statement about doing as much of the maintenance myself. I'm thinking maintenance like oil changes and chain cleaning/lubing/adjustment. Perhaps I should have said "basic" maintenance - LOL.

You think I'll still need a breaker bar and pneumatic impact driver for that sort of work?
Kenny G likes this.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-09-2019, 08:55 PM

Garage
Charp,

You can probably get by with the breaker bar.
A lot of us have had trouble removing the Allen bolts attaching the fender and other fasteners.
I used a breaker bar and Allen Sockets. The guys that had an Impact Driver handy thought it to be the correct way to do it.
For what you are describing all you need are metric 6 pt. sockets and metric 6 pt. combination wrenches.
A funnel with a long flexible spout make changing the oil a bit easier.

Kenny G
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-09-2019, 09:32 PM
Super Moderator

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charp View Post
Maybe I should qualify my earlier statement about doing as much of the maintenance myself. I'm thinking maintenance like oil changes and chain cleaning/lubing/adjustment. Perhaps I should have said "basic" maintenance - LOL.

You think I'll still need a breaker bar and pneumatic impact driver for that sort of work?
We all had to start somewhere. No shame.

Research the task and get the tools for the task - build from there. Others may disagree, but I hardly ever use a torque wrench. I tighten to feel based on the size of the bolt shaft. If I were doing an engine I would definitely use the torque wrench but for everyday bolt tightening, you get a feel for it with practice. Get the torque wrench, use it, and get a feel for the tightness of bolts and nuts - then decide if you need to continue using it at some point.
Kenny G, Odin and dsctr3 like this.

Keith from Maine USA - Rebel R1

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page