Adjusting Clutch and Front Brake Lever Position - Honda Rebel 300 & 500 Forum
 6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-09-2018, 10:45 PM Thread Starter

Adjusting Clutch and Front Brake Lever Position

Hello everyone,

First post- I'm 2.5 months and 3k miles into my Rebel 500 and have been using this forum and glad to finally be a part...

I want to rotate these two levers up probably a 1/4 inch just so my smaller hands can keep two fingers on each a little bit more comfortably/safely, especially on the front brake and throttle.

I can't find any info in the complete manual or online and just want to make sure I'm correct to adjust the bracket with top and bottom bolts holding both the fluid reservoirs and lever housing. It has the "star/asterisk" like bolts.

If anyone has any guidance, please let me know!

Thanks in advance,
Bob
post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-10-2018, 12:01 AM

Garage
The "star/asterisk" like bolts as you call them are a 5mm allen key. Get yourself a set of allen sockets thingys to work on this bike, they will make your life much easier. If you rotate this assembly it will not bring the levers any closer to the grip, just a different position. This may be what you're looking for I don't know. If you need to get the lever closer so your hand reaches easier I suggest a set of adjustable levers like this https://www.amazon.com/MZS-Adjustmen.../dp/B07F23SPYD good luck!
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-10-2018, 12:04 AM Thread Starter

That's the answer I need! Thanks. Yes, I know it won't bring them closer, but bringing them up a bit will help with the way my wrists sit more comfortably. Much appreciated.
Showmeguy66 likes this.

2018 Rebel 500 ABS
post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-12-2018, 03:08 AM

The ‘star’ bolts are TORX fittings - not Allen. Two different things. You can buy TORX keys or socket sets any tool shop.
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-12-2018, 08:36 AM

Garage
I haven't seen any Torx Drive Fasteners on my Rebel 500.

Kenny G
Odin and beansTX like this.
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-14-2018, 05:54 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by dunf View Post
The ‘star’ bolts are TORX fittings - not Allen. Two different things. You can buy TORX keys or socket sets any tool shop.
There are no Torx bolts on this bike he asked specifically about the fasteners for the lever assembly. He was mistaken as describing them as star shaped, probably due to limited mechanical experience. That my friend is why I told him exactly what bit would fit the said assembly. Apparently you know what a Torx bit is but lack the knowledge that it not applicable in this situation. If you really want to add valuable feedback to this forum, please do a little homework before your input.
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-15-2018, 08:21 PM

Whilst folk are pontificating, let me put in a plug for getting true JIS (Japanese Industrial Standard) screw drivers instead of Phillips Head screwdrivers from your local hardware stores. Asian sourced parts use JIS screws.
Kenny G, Showmeguy66 and dsctr3 like this.

John '14CB500XA (Daily Rider), '09CRF230L (Li'l Red Piglet), '89NX250 (sold), '01Rebel250(sold)
Propelled by Penguin Power
Nekkid motorcycles feel faster
1st bike: a gently used 1958 Matchless 250 thumper
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-15-2018, 10:38 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsonder View Post
Whilst folk are pontificating, let me put in a plug for getting true JIS (Japanese Industrial Standard) screw drivers instead of Phillips Head screwdrivers from your local hardware stores. Asian sourced parts use JIS screws.
This is true! There have already been a couple posts where someone rounded out the head of what they thought was a Phillips.
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-16-2018, 02:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Showmeguy66 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by dunf View Post
There are no Torx bolts on this bike he asked specifically about the fasteners for the lever assembly. He was mistaken as describing them as star shaped, probably due to limited mechanical experience. That my friend is why I told him exactly what bit would fit the said assembly. Apparently you know what a Torx bit is but lack the knowledge that it not applicable in this situation. If you really want to add valuable feedback to this forum, please do a little homework before your input.
Wow. Do you think you could make your reply any more patronising? Just curious. Maybe try wearing one if those little leather waistcoats and stick a plastic star badge on it first then try typing it again. Lol. I’ll leave you to your keyboard. I’m gonna go finish building another custom bike for another happy customer. Choat.
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-17-2018, 01:15 AM

Garage
Well allllrighty then!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Deputy_dawg.jpg
Views:	68
Size:	172.4 KB
ID:	26363  

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page