air filter - Honda Rebel 300 & 500 Forum
 6Likes
  • 1 Post By bethw
  • 5 Post By longbeachgary

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-01-2018, 09:02 AM Thread Starter

air filter

Not sure if this is the right section for my question ...

I tipped over my bike and the next ride I barely made 1/2 mile including my panic to get it back home with stalling and a very rough ride. I called the shop and was told the oil probably leaked into the air filter. After much struggle to get the filter out - I know nothing about motorcycle mechanics but I can RTFantasticM. I also found a big mouse nest surprise (good thing my bike tipped over or I'd never have seen this because it was chewing up the filter for a more plush nest).

I've ordered a new filter as the filter was "wet" with oil. I have not seen the price tag on the honda air filter except online and I cringe to think about what it will be. $75????

Can I use the less expensive K&N HA-2513 air filter on my 2017 Rebel 300? Are there risks with this?

While I'd like to never tip over the bike again ... Is this something I can expect every time the bike is on its side, even for a short time???

Can I ride without any air filter (short distance)?

Any way to cover the air "tube" with steel wool or something to keep the mice out?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5074.jpg
Views:	75
Size:	185.0 KB
ID:	25153   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5075.jpg
Views:	86
Size:	200.2 KB
ID:	25155  
Tree likes this.
post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-01-2018, 09:46 AM

Do not ride without a filter. The whole idea is to keep fine particulates out of the engine to prevent wear and damage. Even a short ride could suck in something you don't want. You could cover the inlet with a wire mesh like what is used on houses, but if it isn't a mouse it could be ants or wasps or whatever. I opened up my Vstrom from poor throttle and idling performance last year and found a full size fire ant pile all through the fuel breather lines and air filter box.

With a small displacement engine like the 300 it may be more sensitive to changes in intake (filter end) and back pressure (exhaust end). A k&n filter would work, but you are letting more air into the engine which may require a tune. I'm sure someone with a 300 will chime in to confirm if that is necessary. Putting a K&N in my Strom led to an increase in gas consumption and decel pop. I never got a tune, but it definitely would have helped for that bike.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-01-2018, 09:59 AM

Garage
So from now on you have to answer yes if anyone asks you if you’ve carried passengers.
Kenny G, Lyoko, Odin and 2 others like this.

2019 Honda Shadow Aero 750, 2017 Honda Rebel 500 (SOLD), 2018 Kawasaki Vulcan S 650 (SOLD)
post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-01-2018, 05:37 PM

Where do you keep your rebel to attract mice to it?
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-01-2018, 05:49 PM

Wow!
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-01-2018, 08:31 PM Thread Starter

Good info on the k&n filter Shanfara. And riding without an air filter won't happen.

As far as mice and where I live - well, mice are everywhere as far as I know; cities, towns, rural places. They like to build their nests in my grill and have wreaked havoc with my backup generator. I was pretty shocked to find this though thinking about it I'm no longer surprised. Mouse traps are on their way thanks to amazon ...

So, I still wonder how long it takes to soak an air filter in oil when the bike is dropped. Not sure how long mine was down as it seemed like forever before I could pick it up - but less than 5 minutes ...
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-07-2018, 04:38 PM

No more mice on or in the bike with him, mark my words.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	catman.jpg
Views:	89
Size:	56.6 KB
ID:	25379  

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page