When to replace tires? - Honda Rebel 300 & 500 Forum
 2Likes
  • 1 Post By Ryandavis1555
  • 1 Post By tw.song

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-05-2018, 10:26 AM Thread Starter

When to replace tires?

I'm approaching 4,000 miles and my tires "seem" to still be good, but yesterday I accelerated quickly to avoid traffic approaching quickly and for the first time my rear tire got squirly on me. I was full throttle accelerating as quick as I could but this has never happened before.

At how many miles do you guys generally change your tires? Also how much does the dealership charge to change out tires generally speaking?
dollarbill181 likes this.
post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-05-2018, 11:22 AM

Garage
Check the center of the tire treads with an upside-down penny. If the tread reaches over the top of Lincoln's head, you still have some life left. If you can see the top of Lincoln's head, time to replace. The stock Dunlops don't last very long compared to other tires, so at 4k miles I would imagine you're getting close to replacement time.

-CG
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-05-2018, 11:38 AM

Garage
https://www.hondarebel3forum.com/for...-cost-you.html

Here is a thread on cost of installation.

2019 Honda Shadow Aero 750, 2017 Honda Rebel 500 (SOLD), 2018 Kawasaki Vulcan S 650 (SOLD)
post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-05-2018, 08:54 PM

Garage
I've just passed my 9,000 mi mark, and my tires look almost like new.

But I plan to try out the Commander 2 for the next time.
dollarbill181 likes this.

// Instagram: wanderebel_
// Youtube: wanderebel
// Link: https://goo.gl/DnmY5n
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-05-2018, 09:03 PM

Garage
Are your tyre pressures correct?

Underinflation can cause handling issues.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-06-2018, 12:47 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryandavis1555 View Post
I'm approaching 4,000 miles and my tires "seem" to still be good, but yesterday I accelerated quickly to avoid traffic approaching quickly and for the first time my rear tire got squirly on me. I was full throttle accelerating as quick as I could but this has never happened before.

At how many miles do you guys generally change your tires? Also how much does the dealership charge to change out tires generally speaking?
Tire wear will vary greatly from one rider to another. Road conditions, temperatures, how hard you ride into corners, braking and tire inflation just to name a few variances. Some are getting under 4000 miles but I am at 7500 as of today and appear to have about half its tread life left. That's hard to gauge though because tread life tends to go faster near the end of is use. Of the criteria listed above, proper inflation is probably the most important thing to keep an eye on not only for tire life but for safe handling as well.

Tread life is only one reason to change out tires though. Better handling and ride comfort can be achieved with different types of tires and some folks are changing out right off the bat. There are specific measurements used to tell though when the tire is no longer safe to ride on. in addition to that there are wear indicators in the tires themselves that appear when nearing the end of its life. (See Below)

http://www.sloneservices.com/SilverB.../Tire-wear.pdf

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page