Rebel 300/500 vs _________? - Page 3 - Honda Rebel 300 & 500 Forum
 14Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #21 of 50 (permalink) Old 04-28-2017, 09:51 AM

Garage
You missed the humor there...

HD owners have been long in the tooth when it comes to regurgitating how "so and so copied Harley", even as recent as the turn of the millennia with the TC-88B where those owners have been overheard mentioning how Japan copied Harley's counterbalancer to make their engines run smoother. Yes, there are actually fools out there that firmly believe that in 100+ years of internal combustion history that it was Harley Davidson who finally discovered the patent to reducing engine vibes via going from round to counterbalanced.

As such I find it quite humorous that an all new & modern HD design looks very much like a mid-80's Honda in every aspect save for the final drive. But I'm pretty sure somewhere out there a drooling lug nut is looking at Ascot pics and proudly proclaiming "they copied the Harley Street".

"Ride Safe, Chop Safer" Motorcycles are not unsafe. However; they are extremely unforgiving of inattention, incompetence, ignorance, and stupidity.
http://shadow-shack.20m.com
post #22 of 50 (permalink) Old 04-28-2017, 05:27 PM Thread Starter

One thing that factors in people suggesting X, Y and Z brand copied harley has to do with how Harleys have been promoted and how much its everyones default for cruisers. I see it everywhere, much like how a lot of people call any SUV a Jeep, they'll call a Tahoe a Jeep.
post #23 of 50 (permalink) Old 04-28-2017, 11:55 PM

Garage
^^^

This is true, to the uninitiated there are only three categories of bikes:

> Harleys - any cruiser, even if it isn't a Harley
> Ninjas - anything with fairing, even if it's merely a nose cone
> Dirt Bikes - anything with knobby tires, even if it's a cruiser/bobber

"Ride Safe, Chop Safer" Motorcycles are not unsafe. However; they are extremely unforgiving of inattention, incompetence, ignorance, and stupidity.
http://shadow-shack.20m.com
post #24 of 50 (permalink) Old 04-29-2017, 10:38 AM

Well, I'm not exactly looking, because I just got a brand new CB500F, which I love. That being said, the Rebel is really starting to grow on me, I could see falling in love with it with just a little customization. Maybe a big part of that would be both feet flat, which I've never experienced!
post #25 of 50 (permalink) Old 04-29-2017, 11:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jstbu View Post
Well, I'm not exactly looking, because I just got a brand new CB500F, which I love. That being said, the Rebel is really starting to grow on me, I could see falling in love with it with just a little customization. Maybe a big part of that would be both feet flat, which I've never experienced!

Better not go sit on one then - you'll be hooked

And wonder why anyone would ever build a bike so that you can't put both feet on the ground.
post #26 of 50 (permalink) Old 04-29-2017, 11:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by johny reb View Post
Better not go sit on one then - you'll be hooked

And wonder why anyone would ever build a bike so that you can't put both feet on the ground.
For True! The whole world is not above average and male! And not everyone wants a bike with the bars a mile high and the pegs way out in front. I just want a naked sport bike that I can flat foot. I can manage fine, stops are easy, but man if the ground is at all uneven, I have to get off to move it. And, I'm just not that young and flexible anymore, it gets tiring to get my leg up over the seat.
Pinecone likes this.
post #27 of 50 (permalink) Old 04-29-2017, 12:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jstbu View Post
For True! The whole world is not above average and male! And not everyone wants a bike with the bars a mile high and the pegs way out in front. I just want a naked sport bike that I can flat foot. I can manage fine, stops are easy, but man if the ground is at all uneven, I have to get off to move it. And, I'm just not that young and flexible anymore, it gets tiring to get my leg up over the seat.
Flat footing is nice but over rated. I would rather have ground clearance, longer shocks, and a center stand. So I almost always have to back my bike out before mounting it. I'm 75, so I understand the "getting the leg over the seat" problem; have you tried mounting while standing on the left footpeg? That is the only way, with my 28-inch inseam, that I can comfortably mount my CB500XA with a tail bag.

John '14CB500XA (Daily Rider), '09CRF230L (Li'l Red Piglet), '89NX250 (sold), '01Rebel250(sold)
Propelled by Penguin Power
Nekkid motorcycles feel faster
1st bike: a gently used 1958 Matchless 250 thumper
post #28 of 50 (permalink) Old 04-29-2017, 01:18 PM

You know, I never thought of using the left footpeg😏 I know, intellectually that the side stand can hold the bike, but my instinct is to not trust it with my weight added on. I'll have to try to force myself to do it until I trust it!
post #29 of 50 (permalink) Old 04-29-2017, 03:27 PM

Flat footing is overrated but a lot of people feel they need it for the sense of stability and security. I think once you can get the balls of your heel down on the ground.. you're alright.
dyn085 likes this.
post #30 of 50 (permalink) Old 05-05-2017, 04:36 PM

Oddly enough, I like the looks of the Rebel more than the HD Street because the rebel tank looks more like the old Sportster tank. I really don't like the looks of the "flat" tanks on the Street.
Fivespeed302 likes this.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page