2500 miles - pros, cons, etc - Honda Rebel 300 & 500 Forum
 32Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-15-2017, 10:06 AM Thread Starter

Garage
2500 miles - pros, cons, etc

Hello all!

3 months with my Rebel 500, and wanted to share a few thoughts.

Highway Riding - I've taken a few road trips so far, and overall I am very pleased with how the Rebel handles the highway. No issues with speed and power. The Rebel can cruise 70-80 miles per hour without struggling. Only time I get sketchy is when a semi passes, I have to move over some so the wind force is minimal. This is where a little more weight/stability would be nice. Fuel economy is awesome, for 5 dollars I can ride all weekend, crossing the state and back home.

Local Riding - Rebel is perfect for this. I cross over a few Railroad tracks that were pretty hard on my back. I turned the shocks up one click, and this problem has been resolved.

Seat comfort - This is something I will be upgrading. For shorter rides the seat is fine. My backside gets tired after about 2 hours.

Exahust - I have some pros and cons here. Most days I leave my house at 5AM, so I like the quieter exhaust since it doesn't bother my neighbors. Appearance wise, this is the one thing I would change. That muffler is huge! I would love to put a smaller pipe on it, but for now it will stay stock.

Headlight - For the most part I think the light is adequate. I live in a pretty rural area, so the roads are very dark in the morning until I get to town. I ride with my high beam on until I get to civilization, but this is something I will be upgrading very soon.

Controls - being that this is my first motorcycle, I don't have much reference to compare. I've gotten used to where everything is located. I've read reviews where the braking gets knocked for being underpowered, but for me personally I've never had any issues stopping on time. After a long ride I feel like my hands are still a little "buzzy". I think I'll try some better gloves before I change the handgrips.

Maintenance - I haven't done a whole lot of maintenance yet, but so far all the fluids are easy to check. Chain cleaning and lubing is a breeze. I had my first oil change done at the dealer, but the drain plug and filter are easily accessible.

I was unsure if I would outgrow the Rebel, so far I would have to say no. I've gotten very comfortable with it and I can see myself keeping this long-term. I'm curious to see how well the Rebel can carry a passenger, this will most likely be the deciding factor in how long I stay with the Rebel. I'm going to add the passenger kit soon and see how well it handles 2 adults.

I'd love to hear your thoughts/opinions!

-CG
Kenny G, Lyoko, FLrebel and 2 others like this.
post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-15-2017, 11:53 AM

Garage
I've just passed my 3,500 miles mark and totally agree with your post.
I can't agree with you more on the seat comfort, I'm thinking of getting a Corbin Gunfighter seat.

Do you have any thoughts on that?

Ride safely.
Kenny G likes this.

// Instagram: wanderebel_
// Youtube: wanderebel
// Link: https://goo.gl/DnmY5n
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-15-2017, 12:37 PM

Garage
Great review buddy, your post is right on. Especially about the seat, it needs revamping!
Kenny G and tw.song like this.
post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-15-2017, 12:49 PM
Super Moderator

Garage
Back in the 70's and 80's bikes had great big cushy seats. Hard to believe this style is coming back anytime soon.

CM250 Rebel's Great Grandfather

Keith from Maine USA - Rebel R1
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-15-2017, 01:07 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by tw.song View Post
I've just passed my 3,500 miles mark and totally agree with your post.
I can't agree with you more on the seat comfort, I'm thinking of getting a Corbin Gunfighter seat.

Do you have any thoughts on that?

Ride safely.
The Corbin is really nice, but a bit out of my budget. I've seen some nice seats for under 200 bucks (HRP motors and Motozaaa) that should work just fine. I'm not in a super rush to make any changes, there's more and more aftermarket seats popping up for the Rebel so just a matter of time and patience to get a sweet deal.

-CG
FLrebel, tw.song and BendRebel like this.
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-15-2017, 01:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CGrazFL View Post
The Corbin is really nice, but a bit out of my budget. I've seen some nice seats for under 200 bucks (HRP motors and Motozaaa) that should work just fine. I'm not in a super rush to make any changes, there's more and more aftermarket seats popping up for the Rebel so just a matter of time and patience to get a sweet deal.

-CG
I'd avoid the HRP seat. Had a look at it over at the dealership and it's pretty slim and flimsy. Not worth the money for what you're getting IMO. I'm considering getting a seat from motozaaa as well, but to be honest, I added extra padding to the stock seat and for the time being it serves its purpose alright

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk
Kenny G, FLrebel, CGrazFL and 1 others like this.
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-15-2017, 02:51 PM

Garage
I think the least expensive pursuit of a comfortable seat is going to be a custom auto upholstery shop.

Have them add as much foam, and possibly a gel pad, and a custom cover to suit you.

Kenny G
FLrebel, tw.song and zohararad like this.
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-15-2017, 04:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenny G View Post
I think the least expensive pursuit of a comfortable seat is going to be a custom auto upholstery shop.

Have them add as much foam, and possibly a gel pad, and a custom cover to suit you.

Kenny G
Am actually thinking of going down that road - My plan is to get the Motozaaa seat as a backup, and try to add a layer of gel to my current, re-padded seat, and then compare the difference.

Either way this is solid advice IMO
Kenny G and tw.song like this.
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-15-2017, 05:05 PM

I have a BeadRider seat cushion on my CB500XA that would a Rebel like a champ. They do make a big difference!
tw.song likes this.
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-16-2017, 06:07 PM

Garage
Wow, was this a stock seat?

// Instagram: wanderebel_
// Youtube: wanderebel
// Link: https://goo.gl/DnmY5n

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page