First Highway Ride - Honda Rebel 300 & 500 Forum
 21Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-26-2017, 02:41 PM Thread Starter

Garage
First Highway Ride

I took my Rebel out to New Smyrna Beach this morning. This was my first time out on the highway, and the Rebel performed great! I cruised at 70-75 mph most of the way and the ride was smooth. I pushed it to 80 for a mile or 2 and felt like it had plenty of throttle left. My rear end was tired by the time I got home, but I had been on the bike for about 2.5 hours at that point. Only negative thing I can say was that at a stoplight, I had a hard time getting it down to 1st gear. I was in 2nd when I came to a stop, and had to hit the clutch a few times before it finally dropped into 1st.

Of course, I had to stop for a photo op!

Hope everyone is having a great weekend!

-CG
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Rebel3.jpg
Views:	250
Size:	230.7 KB
ID:	6369  
Twizzian, FLrebel, jr_b17 and 3 others like this.
post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-26-2017, 03:33 PM

I try to always be in 1st gear by the time I come to a stop, using engine braking through the gears down to 3rd, then downshift to 2nd and 1st while coasting the last few yards.

The one time I had to make a hard stop from 6th, I was focused on my braking, as this was the first hard stop on the rebel, and I forgot about downshifting. Once stopped, I was only able to shift down to 3rd... had to rock the bike a bit to get it down into 1st.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk
dollarbill181 likes this.

2017 Honda Rebel 500 - Black
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-26-2017, 08:09 PM

Garage
Nice to hear, thanks for the update! I've had mine up to 65 at most, haven't been on the freeways just yet.
post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-26-2017, 11:25 PM

Did it feel agile enough throwing it around the turns? Coming from sport bikes its one thing I hope this does well enough although i have set my expectations a bit lower. Thanks in advance.
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-27-2017, 06:05 AM
Super Moderator

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by st.rebel View Post
Did it feel agile enough throwing it around the turns? Coming from sport bikes its one thing I hope this does well enough although i have set my expectations a bit lower. Thanks in advance.
I frequently cruise with mine between 60-80 mph, and it's a breeze to drive it at these speeds.
The only somewhat issue at times is the wind resistance you'll feel at such speeds, but besides that the bike handles it great!
CGrazFL likes this.
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-27-2017, 10:35 AM

Did my first long weekend ride this weekend - around 300km in two legs - from my home in central Israel, up to the north of Israel (Akko), pit stop of lunch, and back via the coastal road (Israel is a tiny country). Northbound trip took about 2.5hr at a leisurely 95kph, and southbound trip took about 2hrs cruising on the highway at around 110kph.

Thanks to newly installed windscreen, there was no wind resistance at all, and only my rear end & back were sore after an hour of riding. I did a few takeovers on the highway at around 120kph without a hitch, and felt there was even more power to be had.

@CGrazFL I had more than a few times when the bike refused to get into 1st from neutral. Annoying, but I guess such is the gearbox.

@CueBaller , my breaking method is similar, but I aim to reach full stop in 2nd, and downshift late, using the front break for most of the breaking, and engine intermittently as i downshift. When at full stop, I can easily find neutral from 2nd and avoid the potential gearbox bang going all the way down to 1st.

Sometimes i'll downshift, release the clutch just a little, so I can continue downshifting, while breaking with front breaks and a bit of rear breaks assist (so no engine breaking at all). I found this makes it easier to reach the neutral at full stop quickly if I have to downshift a few gears.
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-27-2017, 12:50 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
I don't have any sport bike experience to compare, but I would say the Rebel handles curves just fine.

-CG
Thrilla-Detroit likes this.
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-28-2017, 07:17 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by CGrazFL View Post
I don't have any sport bike experience to compare, but I would say the Rebel handles curves just fine.

-CG
Quote:
I agree. This is my first bike after only riding scooters before this but other than not getting as much lean as a sport bike would I think it handles great. I've scraped pegs a few times around some tighter twisty roads while practicing but I've never felt unsettled or sketched out while cornering, the bike wants to do it.
Thrilla-Detroit likes this.
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-27-2017, 01:37 AM

Send a message via Skype™ to Vince.Mendoza
I commute to work daily in Northern California. East bound l80 for about 18 miles. I used to take the back roads but it was sort of defeating the purpose of riding a bike and was taking too long. My commute is about 25 minutes total. I cruise around 75-85(Californians drive 10-15 above speed limit) I am loving every minute of it. I have purchased a small windshield and it does help a bit with the wind. Also got a two brother exhaust and it is awesome. Just hit 2000 miles and I don't think I'll ever get rid of it.

Vince Mendoza
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-30-2018, 04:52 PM

Whenever I forget to downshift when I stop, and it doesn't want to shift down at a standstill. I find feathering the clutch in and out of the friction-zone while downshifting the foot-lever lets it shift down to 1st easily.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page