Rebel 300 to the Limit!! - Page 3 - Honda Rebel 300 & 500 Forum
 31Likes
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #21 of 30 (permalink) Old 06-28-2017, 05:55 PM
500
Member
 
500's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2017
Location: Ohio
Posts: 59
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by macjosh1 View Post
patiently waiting for an exhaust to come out for it. lol. Bike is too quiet. This time next year market probably be flooded in demand. lol.
I took mine off for now. It was dangerously quite 😂

Fred Doug
500 is offline  
post #22 of 30 (permalink) Old 06-28-2017, 06:41 PM Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2017
Posts: 178
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 500 View Post
I took mine off for now. It was dangerously quite 😂


I actually debated doing that lol. Be essentially the same as adding the shorty on there. lol. Shorty would just look better. lol.
500 likes this.
macjosh1 is offline  
post #23 of 30 (permalink) Old 06-29-2017, 01:21 AM
Member
 
Hmoobphajej's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2017
Location: Sacramento
Posts: 61
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by macjosh1 View Post
patiently waiting for an exhaust to come out for it. lol. Bike is too quiet. This time next year market probably be flooded in demand. lol.
Awesome to hear that. In California we have new legislation now that allows us to get ticketed for installing non-compliant exhausts on motorcycles that are 2013 or newer. I don't know how strictly it's enforce but I hope it isn't going to be tough finding a EPA Compliant aftermarket exhaust. I think we just have it the worst in California.
Hmoobphajej is offline  
post #24 of 30 (permalink) Old 06-29-2017, 09:26 AM
500
Member
 
500's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2017
Location: Ohio
Posts: 59
Garage
Wow!

Fred Doug
500 is offline  
post #25 of 30 (permalink) Old 06-29-2017, 09:30 AM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Posts: 814
Quote:
Originally Posted by 500 View Post
I took mine off for now. It was dangerously quite 😂
In another thread you posted that you are a mechanic, yet you are riding around with no exhaust on your bike?
You are going to blow out your valve seals.
shortyg83 is offline  
post #26 of 30 (permalink) Old 06-29-2017, 10:06 AM
Senior Member
 
jsonder's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Location: Green Valley, Arizona
Posts: 121
It is sometimes surprising how folks who know that engine design involves balancing inputs (air and fuel flows) and outputs (combustion process, exhaust manifold backpressure) to optimize power and engine longevity, forget that. Running an open exhaust system certainly qualifies as a major change.

Most owner changes result in increased fuel consumption with little or no power increase; in some cases power is actually reduced. Making major changes requires serious fuel remapping of these fuel injected engines.

At least the spark plugs are more accessible with the Rebel, for spark plug reads. The CB500 bikes do not let you access the spark plugs without removing the fuel tank and and underlying electrical board.

John '14CB500XA (Daily Rider), '09CRF230L (Li'l Red Piglet), '89NX250 (sold), '01Rebel250(sold)
Propelled by Penguin Power
Nekkid motorcycles feel faster
1st bike: a gently used 1958 Matchless 250 thumper

Last edited by jsonder; 06-29-2017 at 10:15 AM. Reason: add open exhaust to improve clarity
jsonder is offline  
post #27 of 30 (permalink) Old 06-29-2017, 10:14 AM
Senior Member
 
jsonder's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Location: Green Valley, Arizona
Posts: 121
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hmoobphajej View Post
Awesome to hear that. In California we have new legislation now that allows us to get ticketed for installing non-compliant exhausts on motorcycles that are 2013 or newer. I don't know how strictly it's enforce but I hope it isn't going to be tough finding a EPA Compliant aftermarket exhaust. I think we just have it the worst in California.
In large part you can thank the H-D riders for that law. After market exhaust systems were a standard "sales option" for years.

As I have neighbors who probably do not want to hear me taking my dirt bike out at dawn to ride trails before the heat builds up, I still have the OEM mufflers on all of our bikes.

John '14CB500XA (Daily Rider), '09CRF230L (Li'l Red Piglet), '89NX250 (sold), '01Rebel250(sold)
Propelled by Penguin Power
Nekkid motorcycles feel faster
1st bike: a gently used 1958 Matchless 250 thumper
jsonder is offline  
post #28 of 30 (permalink) Old 06-29-2017, 10:25 AM
Super Moderator
 
Twizzian's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2017
Location: Thailand
Posts: 946
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by macjosh1 View Post
Hey everyone, as post states, taking the 300 to the limit.


So yesterday, and last few days, I've been depressed. Depressed that perhaps I bought the wrong bike, not what I really wanted or looking for, just generally down in the dumps that I'm not gonna be happy with this little underpower (it seems) rebel 300.


But yesterday, yesterday ladies and gents, I was at a rest spot on a highway, just out for a lonely cruise thinking nothing but the worst of this bike, and I decided just to say screw it, lets see what this thing can really do.


Where I live, we have ALLOT of straight flat roads. It was 11pm, sun still shining, no wind, no traffic, I needed some inspiration or something.


I have always been pretty conservative since owning the bike, no reving the piss, just nice easy cruising, enjoying the fact that I can get 280kms - 175miles to a full tank, and only cost $10 to fill. But last night, last night, I needed to do something. Never stretched this bike out yet, but it was time. It was the right time.


Broke out from a start, 1st and 2nd gear, I didn't like, didn't feel anything but the awesome numbing vibration, no real pull. Hit 3rd and took it to what I thought was close to redline, since there's no tach, can only guess. Anyway, got to what I think was the last quarter of the rpm range, and it was like vtec in their civics, bike took right off. Actually had to hang on tight, lol.


Into 4th, same thing, get to the last bit of rpms and she took right off, changed gears at 95kms - 60miles, and into 5th, same thing, took right off, 5th gear took me to 140kms/hr - 90mile ish, and into 6th. 6th gear treated me a little different, didn't get that kick back I felt earlier, but it still took me to 165kms/hr - 105miles/ish. Eventually I ran out of road and pretty sure 6th had nothing more to offer me. Though it didn't actually take all that long to get there, lol.


Just so everyone knows, I was in control, maybe not me emotions, but I think the bike lol, wide open highway and no other traffic in site. lol.Don't judge.


So after that, had that big grin back on my face, bobbing my head that Honda still has something, they didn't completely disappointment me. They made a decent machine between my legs. For a little 300cc (286cc actual), I was once again, like the day I bought it, surprised. Even the notorious vibrations disappeared for that brief time.


Point of all this, you have doubts, take it to the limit, see what it can really do before passing judgment, or passing the bike off to another owner. lol. (Not that I'll get much, Harley offered $1000 max).


There is still a few setbacks despite my renewed appreciation for the bike, the seat, the hand grips, lack of accessories and mods (all on back order from dealer). Bike is too quiet, some parts just look really cheaply made, not enough power(just me jealous of all the Harley ppl I hang with), suspension too soft, the display sucks cuz it doesn't display everything I would like, the front turn signals, held in by rubber, which is starting to warp and droop, one turn signal is coming out of the rubber mounting piece, try as I might, can't get the stupid thing to stay flush.


The windscreen is a joke and a sad piece of plastic. Too tight to get anything, like the air filter!


All the cons listed, I am sure with time, can be changed, rectified, or modified. I'm impatient. lol. All and all, I'll keep the bike a little while longer yet. Gonna plan a road trip in a few weeks, see if I still feel the same after that. lol. I might have a pillow for a seat, foam tubing that covers the hand grips that you would put on copper pipes for a water heater. And a milk crate strapped on for storage, instead of the cumbersome backpack. lol.


Wow, wrote a book. Way to go me, and feel bad for the blokes reading it too. lol. Enjoy!!! Reply as you feel, pos or con, I'll take it in stride. Cheers!!
Whoa' That nearly had me in tears.

The good things you say aboout the 300 though, does give that fading enthusiasm a little boost back.
Twizzian is offline  
post #29 of 30 (permalink) Old 11-26-2017, 10:22 AM
Junior Member
 
jindo118hcm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2017
Location: HCMC, Vietnam
Posts: 6
i love the bike friendliness and quietness, however, i think it would be a life-saving deal for me to buy a loud aftermarket exhaust in my country, where the ninjas (Women riding scooters in full clothes like ninjas, breaking the traffic regulations like a boss, giving false direction signals, etc,...)
Lyoko likes this.
jindo118hcm is offline  
post #30 of 30 (permalink) Old 08-22-2019, 02:35 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2018
Posts: 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by macjosh1 View Post
Hey everyone, as post states, taking the 300 to the limit.


So yesterday, and last few days, I've been depressed. Depressed that perhaps I bought the wrong bike, not what I really wanted or looking for, just generally down in the dumps that I'm not gonna be happy with this little underpower (it seems) rebel 300.


But yesterday, yesterday ladies and gents, I was at a rest spot on a highway, just out for a lonely cruise thinking nothing but the worst of this bike, and I decided just to say screw it, lets see what this thing can really do.


Where I live, we have ALLOT of straight flat roads. It was 11pm, sun still shining, no wind, no traffic, I needed some inspiration or something.


I have always been pretty conservative since owning the bike, no reving the piss, just nice easy cruising, enjoying the fact that I can get 280kms - 175miles to a full tank, and only cost $10 to fill. But last night, last night, I needed to do something. Never stretched this bike out yet, but it was time. It was the right time.


Broke out from a start, 1st and 2nd gear, I didn't like, didn't feel anything but the awesome numbing vibration, no real pull. Hit 3rd and took it to what I thought was close to redline, since there's no tach, can only guess. Anyway, got to what I think was the last quarter of the rpm range, and it was like vtec in their civics, bike took right off. Actually had to hang on tight, lol.


Into 4th, same thing, get to the last bit of rpms and she took right off, changed gears at 95kms - 60miles, and into 5th, same thing, took right off, 5th gear took me to 140kms/hr - 90mile ish, and into 6th. 6th gear treated me a little different, didn't get that kick back I felt earlier, but it still took me to 165kms/hr - 105miles/ish. Eventually I ran out of road and pretty sure 6th had nothing more to offer me. Though it didn't actually take all that long to get there, lol.


Just so everyone knows, I was in control, maybe not me emotions, but I think the bike lol, wide open highway and no other traffic in site. lol.Don't judge.


So after that, had that big grin back on my face, bobbing my head that Honda still has something, they didn't completely disappointment me. They made a decent machine between my legs. For a little 300cc (286cc actual), I was once again, like the day I bought it, surprised. Even the notorious vibrations disappeared for that brief time.


Point of all this, you have doubts, take it to the limit, see what it can really do before passing judgment, or passing the bike off to another owner. lol. (Not that I'll get much, Harley offered $1000 max).


There is still a few setbacks despite my renewed appreciation for the bike, the seat, the hand grips, lack of accessories and mods (all on back order from dealer). Bike is too quiet, some parts just look really cheaply made, not enough power(just me jealous of all the Harley ppl I hang with), suspension too soft, the display sucks cuz it doesn't display everything I would like, the front turn signals, held in by rubber, which is starting to warp and droop, one turn signal is coming out of the rubber mounting piece, try as I might, can't get the stupid thing to stay flush.


The windscreen is a joke and a sad piece of plastic. Too tight to get anything, like the air filter!


All the cons listed, I am sure with time, can be changed, rectified, or modified. I'm impatient. lol. All and all, I'll keep the bike a little while longer yet. Gonna plan a road trip in a few weeks, see if I still feel the same after that. lol. I might have a pillow for a seat, foam tubing that covers the hand grips that you would put on copper pipes for a water heater. And a milk crate strapped on for storage, instead of the cumbersome backpack. lol.


Wow, wrote a book. Way to go me, and feel bad for the blokes reading it too. lol. Enjoy!!! Reply as you feel, pos or con, I'll take it in stride. Cheers!!
MAC,
The 300 is just the right machine for what I needed it to do, pull a sidecar with a dog in it at speeds of 55mph and less, runs to Kroger and Lowes, etc., and cruising country roads. It does an amazing job.

Pushing a frontal area close to that of a Mini it will still do 55-60 mph 6th gear WFO. Still getting around 50 mpg after installing the hack.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	gaiters2.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	103.3 KB
ID:	29531  
Kenny G, dsctr3, Otroo and 2 others like this.
Two Hackers is offline  
Reply

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Rebel 500A: Best woman's motorcycle. AllenPom 2017+ Honda Rebel 300 & 500 Reviews 29 04-14-2019 11:02 AM
Had the Rebel for a Month xoenergy Honda Rebel 300 & 500 General Discussion 3 06-25-2017 06:00 AM
Positives about the 2017 Honda Rebel 300 & 500 RebelAdmin 2017+ Honda Rebel 300 & 500 News 0 05-23-2017 12:40 PM
Meet The Aviator Nation Honda Rebel Honda Rebel News 2017+ Honda Rebel 300 & 500 News 1 03-22-2017 03:07 PM
Honda Rebel 500 & Rebel 300 Debuts Ahead Of The IMS Show Honda Rebel News Honda Rebel 300 & 500 General Discussion 4 03-13-2017 12:44 PM

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome