My Review After A Day of Riding Rebel 500 - Honda Rebel 300 & 500 Forum
 3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 28 (permalink) Old 04-26-2017, 11:16 AM Thread Starter

Cool My Review After A Day of Riding Rebel 500

While I do like the Rebel 500 and am very happy with my purchase here in Seattle, WA I do find some things quite annoying.

First of all, no tachometer. If you are used to riding without one like I am, it won't be a big deal. But if you do like one, and I do like one, it's kind of a bummer.

Which leads me to my second point, uh - no showing what gear you are in? Even my old Sonic I bought in Thailand showed what gear I am in!

Not all features on the engine are blacked out, a couple of things still have chrome on them, even the exhaust has a chrome tip when the rest is blacked out? Gonna need to fix that.

Can feel every single bump on the road. I only weigh 145lbs, but you know what? Maybe that's also a good thing.

Also, side pieces that are underneath the seat that are triangular and plastic are a little tacky and I feel can come off very easily. If they don't break first. Should have been done with metal / carbon fiber.

And only a 1 year warranty?!

Positives!

Overall though, I do love the bike! What an awesome amount of power for the price, and so relaxing to drive. Shifts like butter. Probably one of the easiest bikes I have ever ridden. Seeing as my bike is brand new, the brakes and tires are a little slippery - slipped a little on a speed turtle. However, boy when you get cranking on the gas you are in for an awesome experience!

I am very happy with my purchase, not the most thorough review but will do for now until more people post what they like / dislike.

I also ordered a rear seat - about $140 bucks. Will modify it later into a cafe racer style seat when I find one.

GET ONE!

Full coverage insurance was $170 a year.
Saint likes this.
post #2 of 28 (permalink) Old 04-26-2017, 11:25 AM

Hi,

this morning I tried several times to pass the 7th gear
post #3 of 28 (permalink) Old 04-26-2017, 11:42 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by fred0666 View Post
Hi,

this morning I tried several times to pass the 7th gear

hahaha!
post #4 of 28 (permalink) Old 04-26-2017, 11:46 AM

I will get used to... certainly
post #5 of 28 (permalink) Old 04-26-2017, 12:04 PM

Thanks for that review! To be completely honest, I completely missed that there was no tach on it. At least it tells you when your in neutral...?
chaseyracer likes this.
post #6 of 28 (permalink) Old 04-26-2017, 12:50 PM

Most of the stuff you pointed out was available information before the bike came out. And while I agree about some of it being annoying, I am hoping the pros outweigh the cons.

1. Out of all the bikes I have owned or ridden only one had a gear indicator. So that is really not a big deal to me.
2. I am little annoyed like you are about the bike not having a tach. While obviously you should be able to shift by sound and feel. Having a tach was always satisfying to me.
3. As far as feeling every bump, I am hoping that I can fix that on my Rebel shortly after I get it. I plan on upgrading the rear suspension sometime in may as long as I can find one that fits.
4. Slippery... always one of my biggest fears. Every time I got a tire change on a previous bike I babied it for about the first 100 miles or so. Even though there are people who sware that new tires are not slippery, they without a doubt are.
5. 1 year warranty is the norm for motorcycles.

So, you can actually fix problem 1, as they sell gear indicators. You can fix problem 3 with new suspension(semi-expensive) and possibly a better seat. Problem 4 hopefully isn't for long.

I hope you are enjoying the bike, I am still eagerly waiting for mine. It looks like the east coast is about a week or two behind.
post #7 of 28 (permalink) Old 04-26-2017, 01:04 PM Thread Starter

The pros by far out weigh the cons, I wouldn't have bought it if I didn't enjoy the bike!! I can of course fix some of the stuff, but I''d like to have to and make it come stock. Ha ha. Save money!
post #8 of 28 (permalink) Old 04-26-2017, 01:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaseyracer View Post
The pros by far out weigh the cons, I wouldn't have bought it if I didn't enjoy the bike!! I can of course fix some of the stuff, but I''d like to have to and make it come stock. Ha ha. Save money!
Can you possibly do me a favor. I am trying to modify a cover for the headlight. Can you possibly measure the outside headlight ring to tell me the diameter ?
post #9 of 28 (permalink) Old 04-26-2017, 08:06 PM

Hey I guess the lack of a gear indicator is a good thing, might be what some of us need for a more raw riding experience. Since it makes us pay more attention to the bike and take in all the little cues of feedback it give us.
post #10 of 28 (permalink) Old 04-27-2017, 01:06 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by chaseyracer View Post

Can feel every single bump on the road. I only weigh 145lbs, but you know what? Maybe that's also a good thing.
Just throwing it out there, have you adjusted the pre-load on the rear shocks?

"Ride Safe, Chop Safer" Motorcycles are not unsafe. However; they are extremely unforgiving of inattention, incompetence, ignorance, and stupidity.
http://shadow-shack.20m.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page