My first impressions - Honda Rebel 300 & 500 Forum
 4Likes
  • 4 Post By Prgrmerror

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 1 (permalink) Old 07-08-2018, 01:49 PM Thread Starter

Garage
My first impressions

I have had my 500 for a week now and want to put my impressions here before they fade. I bought this bike as a kick around town kind of ride. I took it out 3 times for 100 miles each time. I rode my favorite roads and also the roads I dislike the most (bumpy) to get an all around opinion. The first night out my impression of the headlight was that it’s really nice. I’ve had many bikes over the years and this one is surprisingly good. High beam is incredible. I won’t be changing it any time soon. I was worried the shocks were going to be sub par and found out they too were more than adequate. I didn’t push it hard the first hundred miles. The next night out I had to adjust the throttle free play and clutch lever to my preference. I needed to feel the shifts. IMO there is a slight gap between first and second gear. It doesn’t matter where you shift from first to second, there is a slight lugging effect. The rest of the shifts seemed like there was a nice overlap in the ratios and were satisfying. I also was impressed that 6th gear can roll on from about 45 mph. The transmission is quiet, shifts are very smooth. The bike won’t win any races and has almost no torque so shifting is mandatory but if your in the correct gear it does keep ahead of traffic. So far I’m liking it. Last night I did my final 100 so I can say it is broken in enough to ride as I like. I knew I was getting close to the end of my ride last night just as on both previous rides because the seat was starting to get uncomfortable. So here it is after my first 300 miles. Fuel economy is Better than I thought it would be. My avg was 73.4 mpg. The transmission shifts great. Power is good as long as you are using the appropriate gear. Headlight is fine, especially high beam. The seat is only okay but how many folks do 100 mile rides often. The suspension is pretty decent stock. I dont really know how much it could be improved for the size and weight of the bike. The brakes are plenty powerful for it as well. I did get on the interstate and take it to 70 mph for 5 minutes. There is no buffeting and a screen isn’t really needed. The riders position isn’t that great. Foot pegs are too close and rearward for me. I’m 5’7”. The positioning seems like it was designed for someone that’s closer to 5’2” tall. The bars are to far away and low for my comfort but this is made for the masses and both genders so it is all around a decent bike. When I bought my CTX 700 I knew at this point it was going to be sold. This one is going to be a keeper.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	96BACDB6-ADCF-4C56-9724-29925BCBCB0C.jpg
Views:	121
Size:	181.4 KB
ID:	24483  

Last edited by Prgrmerror; 07-08-2018 at 01:54 PM. Reason: Spelling

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page