Hello from Bay Area, CA - Honda Rebel 300 & 500 Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-20-2018, 09:26 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Hello from Bay Area, CA

Bought the bike about a week ago, has about 150 miles. Loving every bit about it.
Quick question for long timers. Do you guys ever have issues "finding" a gear.
For example I pulled out of the gas station today, got stopped for a long time at a light (threw my bike into N). Then when I went to down shift it wouldn't find First. Then couldn't find second. So I pulled over and my Shift Lever's (by my foot) customer cover was pulled back. I figured that was the problem so I cut that to quickly get back on the road, but it was still having a hard time finding first for a little bit. (Wowie, Run on sentence).
But, just not to sure if it's something I'm doing or the bike.
Thanks! I look forward to many years on this thread!.
post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-20-2018, 11:37 PM

Garage
Hello Bear,

Welcome to The Forum.......

Ride Safe & Keep The Shiny Side Up.......

Check your clutch cable adjustment.......

Kenny G
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-21-2018, 10:10 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by RussianBear365 View Post
Bought the bike about a week ago, has about 150 miles. Loving every bit about it.
Quick question for long timers. Do you guys ever have issues "finding" a gear.
For example I pulled out of the gas station today, got stopped for a long time at a light (threw my bike into N). Then when I went to down shift it wouldn't find First. Then couldn't find second. So I pulled over and my Shift Lever's (by my foot) customer cover was pulled back. I figured that was the problem so I cut that to quickly get back on the road, but it was still having a hard time finding first for a little bit. (Wowie, Run on sentence).
But, just not to sure if it's something I'm doing or the bike.
Thanks! I look forward to many years on this thread!.
When not moving and trying to put it in gear there are some times when I've had to roll forward or backwards a bit and then it would shift into 1st, but never had any issues getting it into any other gear, aside from an occasional 1st into N or 2nd in N, but that is more likely since I'm a newer rider.
post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-21-2018, 01:22 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Techsniffer View Post
When not moving and trying to put it in gear there are some times when I've had to roll forward or backwards a bit and then it would shift into 1st, but never had any issues getting it into any other gear, aside from an occasional 1st into N or 2nd in N, but that is more likely since I'm a newer rider.
Yeah, I was able to ride it home (a couple miles), and i sat in the garage figuring if it was the clutch cable, gear linkage, or if it was the Gear Arm's boot causing a jam some how. **I get the joy of spending ~10 USD for a new Gear Arm w/ boot. I rode it to work, and there weren't any issues. Although sitting inside my warehouse and rolling it back and forth to get it into 1st helped. Seems like it a temperamental thing, or I'm doing something wrong.

Thanks
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-24-2018, 03:56 PM

Welcome to the forum!

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page