Noobious Maximus ! - Honda Rebel 300 & 500 Forum
 8Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-05-2018, 09:54 AM Thread Starter

Noobious Maximus !

Hi all ..Apparently I'm qualified to do figure 8's in a parking lot ( just past MSF Basic rider course ☺️ ) . I went to one of the Honda dealerships here in NYC and they let me sit and roll around their floor on a Beautiful 17 Honda rebel but no go on a test ride . Never rode a motorcycle before 2.5 day MSF course and that bike was a beat up Suzuki 250 with a bent rear brake peddle. Salesperson says other than a demo day ( rare ) it is what it is here on east coast and has to due with insurance . I've naturally Never purchased a vehicle without a testing it first so I stepped back to marinate on the situation. I explained I've never rode on streets and would be a nervous wreck making the 10 mile trip and have no friends available who would get it home . He said they would deliver bike to my residence no worries . I'm 5'11" and a svelte 215 lbs ha ha nope, so I'm leaning towards the 500 as i would hope to grow into and not out of the bike . Q: Have any of you been in this situation and how did you handle it ? It's very encouraging to hear all the positive reviews here and on YouTube about bike but I'm still a bit hesitant. Lots of great info here , glad I found this rebel forum and hope some day to become a full fledged member ( owner ) and not just a voyeur. Apologies for long winded post . Thanks..
post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-05-2018, 10:43 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen105 View Post
Q: Have any of you been in this situation and how did you handle it ? It's very encouraging to hear all the positive reviews here and on YouTube about bike but I'm still a bit hesitant.
What are you hesitant about? Getting a Rebel or getting a bike at all?

2019 Honda Shadow Aero 750, 2017 Honda Rebel 500 (SOLD), 2018 Kawasaki Vulcan S 650 (SOLD)
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-05-2018, 10:55 AM
Super Moderator

Garage
Quote:
Hi all ..Apparently I'm qualified to do figure 8's in a parking lot ( just past MSF Basic rider course ☺️ ) . I went to one of the Honda dealerships here in NYC and they let me sit and roll around their floor on a Beautiful 17 Honda rebel but no go on a test ride . Never rode a motorcycle before 2.5 day MSF course and that bike was a beat up Suzuki 250 with a bent rear brake peddle. Salesperson says other than a demo day ( rare ) it is what it is here on east coast and has to due with insurance . I've naturally Never purchased a vehicle without a testing it first so I stepped back to marinate on the situation. I explained I've never rode on streets and would be a nervous wreck making the 10 mile trip and have no friends available who would get it home . He said they would deliver bike to my residence no worries . I'm 5'11" and a svelte 215 lbs ha ha nope, so I'm leaning towards the 500 as i would hope to grow into and not out of the bike . Q: Have any of you been in this situation and how did you handle it ? It's very encouraging to hear all the positive reviews here and on YouTube about bike but I'm still a bit hesitant. Lots of great info here , glad I found this rebel forum and hope some day to become a full fledged member ( owner ) and not just a voyeur. Apologies for long winded post . Thanks..
Some people will not be satisfied with the 500 because they have the mentality that they need a 1200 or 1500 or 1800 ccs or bigger. I'm in the group that finds a smaller displacement bike more fun and gets more use because it's easier to handle and you just get on and ride. For me it's more fun to ride a slow bike fast than a fast bike slow. Not that the 500 is a slow bike, but it is small enough that you could easily wrestle it around and get closer to using it's peak performance than on a bigger, heavier, more powerful bike. Plus it's safer being more maneuverable and less powerful. Does anyone really need to be able to go 180 mph on the street?
Lyoko likes this.

Keith from Maine USA - Rebel R1
post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-05-2018, 11:13 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by longbeachgary View Post
Quote:
Q: Have any of you been in this situation and how did you handle it ? It's very encouraging to hear all the positive reviews here and on YouTube about bike but I'm still a bit hesitant.
What are you hesitant about? Getting a Rebel or getting a bike at all?
Purchasing a bike without test riding it . Thanks
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-05-2018, 11:18 AM

Garage
I don't blame you at all for being hesitant - I wouldn't buy any vehicle without a test ride either! Possibly the dealership being in the city has something to do with it. If you live in NYC, maybe you could find a Honda dealer on Long Island or upstate that would let you test ride one.

-CG
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-05-2018, 11:20 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by 01-7700 View Post
Quote:
Some people will not be satisfied with the 500 because they have the mentality that they need a 1200 or 1500 or 1800 ccs or bigger. I'm in the group that finds a smaller displacement bike more fun and gets more use because it's easier to handle and you just get on and ride. For me it's more fun to ride a slow bike fast than a fast bike slow. Not that the 500 is a slow bike, but it is small enough that you could easily wrestle it around and get closer to using it's peak performance than on a bigger, heavier, more powerful bike. Plus it's safer being more maneuverable and less powerful. Does anyone really need to be able to go 180 mph on the street?
I'm in the same camp thanks . Here in NYC's 5 boros there really is no opening up a powerful bike here as it is all stop n go tight situations in pot hole town . That said if i wanted to go into New Jersey or upstate ny the 500 would get the job done no worries.

I'm
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-05-2018, 11:23 AM
Super Moderator

Garage
I can totally understand why a dealer would not let a new rider test ride one of these bikes. They have no trouble selling them and they open themselves up to almost certainly having some damage occur.

Keith from Maine USA - Rebel R1
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-05-2018, 12:01 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by 01-7700 View Post
I can totally understand why a dealer would not let a new rider test ride one of these bikes. They have no trouble selling them and they open themselves up to almost certainly having some damage occur.
Indeed . Just spoke to a NJ dealership and Harley Davidson are the only ones who are willing to pay insurance and let you test ride albeit with a used model. Japanese companies are unwilling to take the chance with parking lot figure 8 masters like myself.. I believe he also mentioned they require at least 3 years riding experience on any demo days but how they determine that i don't know. Thanks for replies
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-05-2018, 12:22 PM
Super Moderator

Garage
Quote:
Purchasing a bike without test riding it . Thanks
Didn't test ride mine.. I saw it in a magazine in January of 2017 and said "jupp, that's the one"

Lyoko - Black Rebel 500
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-05-2018, 12:23 PM

Garage
Quote:
Indeed . Just spoke to a NJ dealership and Harley Davidson are the only ones who are willing to pay insurance and let you test ride albeit with a used model. Japanese companies are unwilling to take the chance with parking lot figure 8 masters like myself.. I believe he also mentioned they require at least 3 years riding experience on any demo days but how they determine that i don't know. Thanks for replies
To be honest with you, IMO I don't see a test ride as being useful at all on new bikes. What is it that you expect to learn on a 10 minute ride around the parking lot? I have never test ridden a new bike before I bought it and more than half of the bikes that I've owned were new.

A used bike is a whole other story. You may be able to detect mechanical issues even on a short ride.

As far as how can they tell how much experience you have, they may be able to tell when your license was issued depending on what state you live in.

2019 Honda Shadow Aero 750, 2017 Honda Rebel 500 (SOLD), 2018 Kawasaki Vulcan S 650 (SOLD)

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page