Newbie - Honda Rebel 300 & 500 Forum
 15Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 29 (permalink) Old 04-03-2018, 10:02 AM Thread Starter

Garage

I just ordered my Honda CMX500 today It should be here in 2-3 weeks. I'm based in Germany with the US Army (husband works with them). At the moment it's just the basic ABS model - black. Although, I'm having handlebar risers installed prior to pick up as I've got short arms!

I'd like to get saddlebags but with a German price tag of about 500 euros, I've decided to look around and see if I could get some shipped over from the US. I'm open to both OEM and aftermarket but have yet to make any decision. (Any suggestions would be welcome). I also plan on getting a windshield. After reading a few forum threads on the subject I'm about to order one from Thailand.

Other than that, I'll be trolling the forums for other custom ideas.

It's a beautiful sunny day out there today and I'm itching to ride!
rebelwithoutacause and Tree like this.
post #2 of 29 (permalink) Old 04-03-2018, 10:21 AM

Garage
Welcome to The Forum.....

Ride Safe & Keep The Shiny Side up.....

You may want to try looking into Viking Bags in the U.S.

Kenny G
Tree likes this.
post #3 of 29 (permalink) Old 04-03-2018, 11:08 AM
Super Moderator

Garage
Welcome frohmanj!

Keith from Maine USA - Rebel R1
post #4 of 29 (permalink) Old 04-03-2018, 12:16 PM
Super Moderator

Garage
A welcome from me too..

Twizz
post #5 of 29 (permalink) Old 04-03-2018, 06:59 PM

Welcome!
I bet you can't wait to have your new bike! I had to wait a week 1/2 and I wanted to be on it the first day I saw one. LOL.
post #6 of 29 (permalink) Old 04-04-2018, 05:31 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Yes, I’ve seen some on Viking bags...but they don’t ship to an APO address. I’m seeing what I can do to get around that but they have my first choice so far.

Thanks everyone for the welcome!
Kenny G and Twizzian like this.
post #7 of 29 (permalink) Old 04-04-2018, 08:07 AM

Garage
welcome frohmanj! enjoy the bike when you get it. i had to reread your post cause i was gonna say since you're already in GER you should just get Hepco/becker which are made there. then i realized you mentioned price so assumed you were talking about them. LOL
I have a set on order (brackets were backordered from US distributor), and from what i've seen in my mind they have the best fitment.
i was originally looking at viking hard cases but from the reviews i saw on here you had to drill holes yourself, i'd rather have something that was 100% ready to go and not take a chance on making a mistake on install (even though i'm handy)
but whatever you choose, enjoy the new ride!
post #8 of 29 (permalink) Old 04-04-2018, 09:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Odin View Post
welcome frohmanj! enjoy the bike when you get it. i had to reread your post cause i was gonna say since you're already in GER you should just get Hepco/becker which are made there. then i realized you mentioned price so assumed you were talking about them. LOL
I have a set on order (brackets were backordered from US distributor), and from what i've seen in my mind they have the best fitment.
i was originally looking at viking hard cases but from the reviews i saw on here you had to drill holes yourself, i'd rather have something that was 100% ready to go and not take a chance on making a mistake on install (even though i'm handy)
I think most saddlebags you'll have to drill yourself unless it's from Honda specifically for this bike.
Really isn't too difficult to do, took me maybe 15-20 minutes total to install my viking bags. Just take your time with one bag and use it as a stencil for the other.
You'll probably save a lot more getting universal bags and going this route.
Kenny G and frohmanj like this.

2017 Honda Rebel 300 ABS
post #9 of 29 (permalink) Old 04-04-2018, 11:33 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Odin View Post
I saw the video where it showed you had to drill your own holes....I guess that's another reason why I'm still looking. I did look at the Hepco/Becker bags - we have a local bike store that does them - and yes, I had sticker shock. I'm thinking I've got time to keep looking - something may come up that's perfect.
Kenny G likes this.
post #10 of 29 (permalink) Old 04-04-2018, 05:21 PM

Hallo, ich habe diese Satteltaschen

https://www.ebay.de/itm/58L-Doppel-S...EAAOSwLahaoRtP

die passen auf die OEM Satteltaschenhalter. Ich habe die Plastikklips abgeschnitten und die verbleibenden Schlaufen mit Kabelbindern am Satteltaschenhalter befestigt. Ich habe auch den Klettverschluss entfernt und die Taschen zusammengenaeht weil sie zu dick waren und nicht unter den Ruecksitz gepasst haben. Das dauert ungefaehr eine Stunde.

Ich bin sehr zufrieden mit den Taschen weil man sie schnell auf- und zumachen kann und man kann sie auch groesser machen wenn man mehr einkauft als erwartet. Ausserdem sind sie so geformt dass sie neben und nicht auf den Stossdaempfern sind.
Man muss auch nirgendwo Loecher boren
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMGP4570.jpg
Views:	101
Size:	173.7 KB
ID:	20490  

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page