Not a Tennessee, USA, Lurker Anymore! - Honda Rebel 300 & 500 Forum
 2Likes
  • 2 Post By ThunderStick

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-10-2019, 08:14 AM Thread Starter

Not a Tennessee, USA, Lurker Anymore!

I've been lurking around here since October, but no more!

You see, I have never had a road/highway motor bike, although I was an avid off road rider in my younger days (55 now). I am an avid road cyclist and cycle tourist so I haven't been off two wheels for over 35 years either. I started considering getting a scooter to commute to work on, save wear, tear, and fuel on my Jeep running short hops to town plus the 25 mile round trip commute to work. I guess God, karma, or fate wanted me to have a motorcycle though. I started looking at classified adds to see what used bikes may be for sale about, when up popped a 2017 Rebel 500 with less than 500 miles on it for a price I couldn't pass by! I called the add, looked at the bike, confirmed it was as advertised. So I became the proud owner of a Honda CMX500, a nice modular helmet and leather jacket. The seller even rode it to my home, as I had ZERO road training and no license to operate one! I started watching every youtube video on training, safety, and practiced, along with studying for the exam. This state is pretty darn lax in their license requirments, so that part was easy. Fortunately, I live in the country with low traffic roads, and a large church parking lot a mile from my home where I can practice and due to the mild winter and good gear I now have logged about 1200 miles on the bike. I do still plan to do the first MSF class in the spring and hope it doesn't turn out to be a waste of money for me. I have picked up lots of good chatter here and hope to have some things to add in the near future.
Scott
post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-10-2019, 08:52 AM
CDL

Welcome
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-10-2019, 12:04 PM

Welcome and all the best with the test 👍🏻
post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-10-2019, 05:25 PM Thread Starter

The testing here? Studied for a few days in my spare time, passed the written test. The skills test? Gear up, they check your helmet for a DOT sticker, check your brake lights, turn signals, and then have you make a loop around the parking lot and park it. Now I'm all legal to ride a super bike on the highway! No wonder so many people get killed on bikes here!

I've been honing my skills on my own time via some of the great youtube instructors!
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-10-2019, 06:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThunderStick View Post
The testing here? Studied for a few days in my spare time, passed the written test. The skills test? Gear up, they check your helmet for a DOT sticker, check your brake lights, turn signals, and then have you make a loop around the parking lot and park it. Now I'm all legal to ride a super bike on the highway! No wonder so many people get killed on bikes here!

I've been honing my skills on my own time via some of the great youtube instructors!
MSF course is good for new riders, but there's nothing you can't learn on your own. I started riding a Suzuki 250 when I was around 13 but it was my dads bike.

I didn't purchase a motorcycle on my own until about 3 months ago. Great investment, good on gas, it's fun and exciting, and I like wrenching on it and modding it to make it my own.

I did have my bike delivered from the dealership for free, and started riding around in my community. Practiced shifting, rev matching, counter steering, etc.

Once I had the basics I started to hit the roads, only roads where the speed limit was around 30-45. It's funny, when I first started riding it felt like 30mph was 100! lol

I never have took the MSF course, but watched tons of videos on Youtube and read up on forums etc. But the best practice is getting out there on the road.

Technically you HAVE to take the MSF course here in FL to even get your endorsement. But I'm a rebel on a Rebel, so I'm not going to spend $200 for **** I already know.

But congrats on picking up your Rebel 5! Hope you have a blast riding! And be safe out there.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-10-2019, 09:12 PM

Garage
welcome Scott, good luck
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-12-2019, 09:08 AM

Garage
Welcome and good luck with the test although it sounds like you will sail through it. You have a good attitude though which will see you through nicely and you have done the same amount of miles on your rebel as i have done in 15 months!

Rebelwithoutacause
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-21-2019, 09:02 PM

Your bicycle experience will stand you in good stead, but take it from one who learned to ride in 1960 (after graduating HS and leaving home) before classes were available: do not skip the basic course. It may miss a few things, but taught me stuff that I had not picked up in my first 14 years of motorcycle riding. Good safety things that I had not needed to think about because folks had not tried to run over me in that manner.

John '14CB500XA (Daily Rider), '09CRF230L (Li'l Red Piglet), '89NX250 (sold), '01Rebel250(sold)
Propelled by Penguin Power
Nekkid motorcycles feel faster
1st bike: a gently used 1958 Matchless 250 thumper

Last edited by jsonder; 01-21-2019 at 09:07 PM. Reason: Get the number of years riding in before I took a break while raising multiple kids; I took the basic course after that.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page