New rider Ready for 1st Oil change - Honda Rebel 300 & 500 Forum
 12Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-29-2018, 04:07 PM Thread Starter

New rider Ready for 1st Oil change

Just called a local motorcycle shop and they estimated $120.00 bill for my first oil change plus a few other perks. Something to do with the chain. Is that too much? Should I just invest in tools and learn how to maintain it myself?
post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-29-2018, 06:26 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Licho View Post
Just called a local motorcycle shop and they estimated $120.00 bill for my first oil change plus a few other perks. Something to do with the chain. Is that too much? Should I just invest in tools and learn how to maintain it myself?
Invest in the few tools that you will need. Honda has an oil filter, filter wrench combination package that you will like. I use genuine Honda Oil as recommended in the owners manual at least during the warranty period.

Kenny G
Licho and beansTX like this.
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-29-2018, 06:29 PM

Yes, that sounds like a lot to me. You don't say if you have a 300 or 500, but either one is VERY easy to change the oil and filter. If you're only at your first oil change, your chain should not be in need of tightening. But it most likely IS in need of cleaning and lubrication. Go to youtube and search for 'chain clean and lub'....and one of the first videos will be from Revzilla.....good video on how to clean and lub a chain. There are videos on how to change oil in rebel 300 and 500 too.

I think I paid $5 for the oil filter. Maybe another few $$ for the gasket. (there's debate if you really need to change the gasket every time....some people just wipe it off and reuse it)

You can buy this jug of oil, and it will be good for 2 oil changes on a 300...and you'll have some left over. (Do NOT use automobile oil, it's not the same)

https://www.amazon.com/Honda-GN4-10W...%2B10w-30&th=1
Licho likes this.
post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-30-2018, 04:57 AM

Garage
Welcome to forum,
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-30-2018, 11:13 AM

Hey its your money.
I don't understand how you can NOT change your own oil.
It so easy and you can do it when you want to, no waiting, and for half of that or less!
AND no it wont void your warranty if you do it yourself.
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-30-2018, 12:08 PM

Garage
The first service is not just oil and filter. They should inspect the bike and make any adjustments to the chain, throttle body, cables etc. If you’re not comfortable servicing your bike, take it to the dealer. Not everyone wants to get their hands dirty.

2019 Honda Shadow Aero 750, 2017 Honda Rebel 500 (SOLD), 2018 Kawasaki Vulcan S 650 (SOLD)
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-30-2018, 12:10 PM

Garage
And also, replace the crush washer. Reusing the old one to save 50 cents is just silly.

2019 Honda Shadow Aero 750, 2017 Honda Rebel 500 (SOLD), 2018 Kawasaki Vulcan S 650 (SOLD)
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-30-2018, 03:27 PM

I don't know you or your mechanical aptitude, but I can say that if you can ride a motorcycle, you can change it's oil. Especially on the Rebel being a naked bike, mostly everything is exposed. It's far easier to change oil on this bike than any car.

If this is your first time getting your hands dirty then it's time to learn. The tools you'll need and will use for many years to come costs a fraction of the $120 you're quoted for. It may seem daunting at first but once you're done you'll be thinking, "I almosted paid $120 for that?" The cost on investment of the tools is instantaneous!

In addition cleaning the chain is something you have to do really frequently, depending on much you ride actually. The rule of thumb is clean the chain every 600 miles, and lube every 300. Forget about the cost for a sec, your bike will be sitting in the shop anywhere from a half hour to several hours, not to mention you actually have to go to the shop for something you can do in the comfort of your own home in about 10 minutes.

Also it's fun to work on your own bike. I enjoy it and see it as my source of 'zen', most importantly I know exactly the products I use and what goes into the bike. Just my 2cents.
Odin and Licho like this.
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-30-2018, 04:36 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the help. It's my first bike and my first venture into "mechanical" independence. I'm Tired of having to take my vehicles to the shop and have someone else do all the work. I feel helpless to an extent, but I figured this would be a good opportunity to start my journey.
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-30-2018, 06:04 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Licho View Post
Thanks for the help. It's my first bike and my first venture into "mechanical" independence. I'm Tired of having to take my vehicles to the shop and have someone else do all the work. I feel helpless to an extent, but I figured this would be a good opportunity to start my journey.
If you decide to do your own work everyone on the board is here to help.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page