Hello from Missouri - Honda Rebel 300 & 500 Forum
 19Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-17-2018, 04:52 PM Thread Starter

Hello from Missouri

Hello,

Just bought a rebel 500 a couple months ago and I am loving it so far! Honestly there is kind of a funny story there.

I was in the market for a 500 and my local shop had a 300 posted for sale 2017 hold over, that hadn't even been out on a test drive yet. I didn't think I would want a 300, but thought I would test-drive it and see for sure. Took it out on a test drive, got up to 70mph, and still had a decent amount of throttle left. Being new to the motorcycle world I had no idea how much power a 300 should have.

Decided to make the purchase, added the meter shield, luggage rack, and saddle bags and was on my way! It came time to get rid of the break in oil at around 700 miles, so I took to youtube to see if there was something more to a motorcycle oil change than what you do for a car. Every video I saw that said it was for the rebel 300 the bike looked different than mine. Searched for a 500, and there my bike was.

Around this time the dealer contacted me asking me to read the last few off of the vin to them, so I did and they discovered that they gave me the wrong bike. They felt bad, paid for me to get the new title, and gave me a $25.00 gift card to a gas station for my troubles. I tried to explain to them that I was the lucky one here!

So I paid for a 300 & got a 500, which was what I was looking for in the first place.

Quick question, what are you guys using to get the swing arm off the ground for chain maintenance, and tightening. I purchased a swing arm stand from Harbor Freight and it lifts the bike on the exhaust, so I am working on a mod, but haven't gotten it done yet.

-Donny-
Kenny G and Twizzian like this.
post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-17-2018, 05:05 PM

Garage
Pastor,

Welcome To The Forum.......
Ride Safe & Keep The Shiny Side Up.....

Pray before every ride.....They have cell phones.

Kenny G
PastorDonny likes this.
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-17-2018, 05:15 PM

Garage
Welcome. Great story. I bet someone lost their job.

2019 Honda Shadow Aero 750, 2017 Honda Rebel 500 (SOLD), 2018 Kawasaki Vulcan S 650 (SOLD)
post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-17-2018, 05:25 PM Thread Starter

I talked with the salesman about it, because I wasn't willing to get a better bike and have him lose his job. He told me that his boss wasn't worried about it, because he was sure something like that wouldn't happen again! It was "as much the fault of the person who put the wrong sticker on it, as it was the guy that sold it."
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-17-2018, 05:36 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by PastorDonny View Post
I talked with the salesman about it, because I wasn't willing to get a better bike and have him lose his job. He told me that his boss wasn't worried about it, because he was sure something like that wouldn't happen again! It was "as much the fault of the person who put the wrong sticker on it, as it was the guy that sold it."
I'm glad to hear no one got fired. I'm surprised that all of the fail-safes that are in place to prevent this from happening failed. I would have thought that getting insurance would have been a problem.

2019 Honda Shadow Aero 750, 2017 Honda Rebel 500 (SOLD), 2018 Kawasaki Vulcan S 650 (SOLD)
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-17-2018, 06:38 PM Thread Starter

When I filed insurance initially I used the vin on the sale document that I got from the dealership, which was for the 300. They had one in inventory, just not on the sales floor, it was still in the crate. I went and looked at it as well, I went with all black, it had a red tank.
longbeachgary likes this.
post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-17-2018, 06:48 PM Thread Starter

I was trying to decide between the rebel and the shadow, went with the rebel to save money, and gas money.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	rebel 500.jpg
Views:	69
Size:	141.0 KB
ID:	24689   Click image for larger version

Name:	Shadow.jpg
Views:	61
Size:	249.0 KB
ID:	24691  
Kenny G likes this.
post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-17-2018, 09:38 PM

That is the most craziest story I have ever heard. Talk about GOD working in mysterious ways. That is incredible. Bet the DMV was glad to deal with the mess up on paperwork too. Hope that fix went as well as everything else for you.

Wish something like that would happen to me because I just can't decide between a 300 and a 500. I have read some great reviews and one's for the 300 make it sound much better then my 250 Rebel. The 500 I worry about weight and dumping it.

I had ONE bad experience and that was with a Suzuki 2006 Boulevard S50. Was or seemed heavy to me and I couldn't flat foot it on both sides. Got off of it in my garage one day and had to move it. Apparently the kickstand moved backwards just enough that when I got off of it, it was like a slow motion disaster. I saw it going down and dumb, dumb here tried to catch it, well it was heavy enough it threw me to the floor banged up my knee pretty good. Broke a foot peg, turn signals front and back and scratched the chrome exhaust. $$$

I like the lightweight 250 and can flat foot it on both sides. Feels good and light and nimble. Then again it's what I used on my MSF class. I don't do a lot of highway riding cause my 250 has a hard time getting up past 65 mph. My wife says maybe if I had a bigger bike I'd ride highway more. We live in rural Kansas. Highway speeds (75 mph) bother me on a bike anyway.

Anyway-got off track! Sorry!

Amazing story thanks for sharing. Again though God does work in Mysterious ways!

Good luck to you!
PastorDonny likes this.
post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-17-2018, 10:48 PM

Garage
Score one for the good guys @PastorDonny . I have the Harbor Freight swingarm stand as well. I just took off the exhaust (1 clamp & 1 hanger bolt) It will lift it resting on the muffler I just found it harder to control the lift. I put a rag down to keep it from scratching the underside. Harbor Freight also has this little jewel https://www.harborfreight.com/motorc...and-98800.html I'm pretty sure @Kenny G has one and uses it for his chain lube? Lhe lift worked great for adjusting chain tension but would be a pain to pull the exhaust regularly. ANother thought is to change out the exhaust, most offered change the angle and length as to not interfere with the swingarm lift point. Welcome to the forum. What parts of MO are you from?
PastorDonny likes this.
post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-18-2018, 12:21 AM

Garage
Guy 66,

I do have the Harbor Freight Stand that you mention, but I am no longer using it.

I now use a scissors jack under the swing arm, a block of wood under the kick stand and a zip tie to hold the front brake lever.

I have posted pics on here.

Kenny G
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1055.JPG
Views:	35
Size:	487.5 KB
ID:	24693   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1057.JPG
Views:	33
Size:	603.8 KB
ID:	24695