Central Texas Here - Honda Rebel 300 & 500 Forum
 3Likes
  • 2 Post By Shanfara
  • 1 Post By Shanfara

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-16-2018, 10:44 AM Thread Starter

Central Texas Here

Howdy Y'all,

Been a rider for a little over a year and somehow on my 6th bike. Liking the Rebel 500 so far. I'm looking forward to tasteful farkles. My last bike was an adventure bike and I went overboard with mods and killed the fun. Trying to avoid that this time!

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk
post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-16-2018, 11:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shanfara View Post
Howdy Y'all,
I went overboard with mods and killed the fun. Trying to avoid that this time!
Welcome. What was your last bike, and too many mods ruined the bike?
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-16-2018, 11:28 AM Thread Starter

Suzuki Vstrom. Everything I did made the ride objectively worse. Center stand that required suspension mods that made the unknown to me shortened sidestand too short to hold the bike and made the front end lift at highway speeds. Tires that made the bike unstable at speed and introduced thumper-like vibration to a previously ultrasmooth ride. Windshield that created unbearable buffeting. Side racks that interfered with the aftermarket exhaust. Saddle bags that wouldn't sit right and blocked 2 up despite the manufacturer assuring it would work. Top box mount that would vibrate and cause the latch to fail on the top box and open.

I realized I was spending money on an unsatisfying bike that didn't improve in any meaningful way. My Honda Shadow was a much more enjoyable experience. It also taught me that it is absolutely worth spending the extra money on high quality, purpose built parts. It seems bikes aren't like cars where you can make inexpensive universal parts fit an application.

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-16-2018, 01:42 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shanfara View Post
Howdy Y'all,

Been a rider for a little over a year and somehow on my 6th bike. Liking the Rebel 500 so far. I'm looking forward to tasteful farkles. My last bike was an adventure bike and I went overboard with mods and killed the fun. Trying to avoid that this time!
That can easily happen with the Rebel too. I see so many mods here that people are doing to try to make the bike "their own" and it just make them more like everyone else's. Good luck with the Rebel.

2019 Honda Shadow Aero 750, 2017 Honda Rebel 500 (SOLD), 2018 Kawasaki Vulcan S 650 (SOLD)
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-16-2018, 03:17 PM Thread Starter

I'm really going to keep it simple and follow the philosophy I took with my miata. Make it comfortable and functional and then leave it alone. Plus, when everyone mods a vehicle the stock example becomes the only unique one.

I am going to wire a phone charger, throw on a phone holder, grab a windshield for touring rides, and possibly mod my cushion for comfort (cut a square out where my tailbone, butt goes and replace it with firm memory foam). That's about it. I would like a meatier sound, but until delkevic makes a compatible slip on I won't touch it.

longbeachgary likes this.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page