Hello from a prospective rider. - Honda Rebel 300 & 500 Forum
 15Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-11-2018, 12:06 PM Thread Starter

Hello from a prospective rider.

Well, I finally did it!
Pulled the trigger and bought two brand new Rebel 500s, a black one for the wife and a silver for me. The wife loves hers (she's ridden before) and me... not so much.
Never been on a motorcycle before and, aside from a few trips up the driveway, this thing TERRIFIES me. These are supposed to be great beginner bikes and I'm wondering if I've made a mistake. Before you ask yes, I can ride a bicycle and drive a manual transmission car so the basics I would think are there but this thing just feels scary! There are no parking lots around my area to practice in (been kicked out of the only one close) and right now this whole thing seems like a bad idea.
I will be taking the MSF course in September and, in the interim, have signed up for the dirt-bike course at the same location in August.
My question is, does professional instruction help when you're actually so terrified you can't even bring yourself to turn the handlebars for fear of falling over?
How does one conquer this fear as a new rider? Yes, I know the easy answer is "if you're that scared you're a danger to yourself and others" and "sell it before you hurt someone else or yourself" but surely someone has overcome this issue?
I look forward to any advice you have to offer.
01-7700 and Tree like this.
post #2 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-11-2018, 12:51 PM

Garage
You should gain some confidence after the MSF course but if you feel the same way after as you do now there is no shame in saying this is not for me.
dollarbill181 likes this.

2019 Honda Shadow Aero 750, 2017 Honda Rebel 500 (SOLD), 2018 Kawasaki Vulcan S 650 (SOLD)
post #3 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-11-2018, 12:58 PM
Super Moderator

Garage
The best thing to do is not try to teach yourself. Wait for the courses and let them guide you. That's what they do.
sfrider1991 and longbeachgary like this.

Keith from Maine USA - Rebel R1
post #4 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-11-2018, 12:58 PM

Agreed with longbeachgary - MSF should give you the instruction and confidence you need, but at the end of the day, riding isn't necessarily for everyone - you may not like it in the end, but you shouldn't feel so terrified that you can't operate the machine. You'll get over that with instruction and experience. You may still, however, decide that you're not in to it.

My wife and I did the exact same thing as you and yours - just reversed colors.
post #5 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-11-2018, 01:43 PM

Garage
Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by frj322 View Post
Well, I finally did it!
Pulled the trigger and bought two brand new Rebel 500s, a black one for the wife and a silver for me. The wife loves hers (she's ridden before) and me... not so much.
Never been on a motorcycle before and, aside from a few trips up the driveway, this thing TERRIFIES me. These are supposed to be great beginner bikes and I'm wondering if I've made a mistake. Before you ask yes, I can ride a bicycle and drive a manual transmission car so the basics I would think are there but this thing just feels scary! There are no parking lots around my area to practice in (been kicked out of the only one close) and right now this whole thing seems like a bad idea.
I will be taking the MSF course in September and, in the interim, have signed up for the dirt-bike course at the same location in August.
My question is, does professional instruction help when you're actually so terrified you can't even bring yourself to turn the handlebars for fear of falling over?
How does one conquer this fear as a new rider? Yes, I know the easy answer is "if you're that scared you're a danger to yourself and others" and "sell it before you hurt someone else or yourself" but surely someone has overcome this issue?
I look forward to any advice you have to offer.
If you take the Harley Riders Edge Course the first thing you are going to do is learn to duck walk the bike without the motor even running. After you master that you start the engine and still duck walk the bike for quite a while before you ever put the bike in gear. You should be able to do that in front of your home or in your driveway. Good Luck and go slow.....

Kenny G
post #6 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-11-2018, 02:11 PM

Garage
A lot of members on this forum (myself included) had little or no experience riding before taking the MSF course. The advice posted above is pretty solid - just wait for the MSF course where you can learn the basics and you'll be good to go.

-CG
post #7 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-11-2018, 02:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenny G View Post
If you take the Harley Riders Edge Course the first thing you are going to do is learn to duck walk the bike without the motor even running. After you master that you start the engine and still duck walk the bike for quite a while before you ever put the bike in gear. You should be able to do that in front of your home or in your driveway. Good Luck and go slow.....

Kenny G
That.

We started out on the bike, engine off, walking the bike back and forth across the parking lot. Probably did that 3 or 4 times.

Then we started the bikes and learned the clutch... ease out just until it starts to pull forward a step or two, then squeeze it back in and walk it backwards a couple steps. Spent about 5 minutes or so doing this.

Then back and forth across again several times, feet still down, but feathering the clutch to pull us along.

Then trips back and forth getting just enough speed to actually ride in 1st gear.

Then we rode laps around the perimeter of the lot, in first gear still, to show how to turn the bike at low speeds (turn the direction you want to go). Then turned around and rode the other direction for several laps.

Then more laps, but in 2nd gear, fast enough that the turns now required countersteering to lean into the turn, and again back the other direction.

And that was pretty much the entire first hour on the bike.
Kenny G likes this.

2017 Honda Rebel 500 - Black
post #8 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-11-2018, 03:21 PM

Take the MSF course before you buy

Absolutely take the MSF class. Its well worth the time and money. Id recommend people take the course prior to putting out money for motorcycles. Taking the class you will know before you pull the trigger with hard earned money whether or not riding is for you. The class is extremely informative. You will love it.
post #9 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-11-2018, 08:31 PM

Garage
the only thing i would add (though it's too late now) is you should have waited to purchase the bike til after the course, so if the unlikely event happens that you still don't want to ride, you don't have to sell the bike at a (probable) loss at that point.
good luck with the classes.
Ryan500 likes this.
post #10 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-11-2018, 09:05 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by CueBaller View Post
That.

We started out on the bike, engine off, walking the bike back and forth across the parking lot. Probably did that 3 or 4 times.

Then we started the bikes and learned the clutch... ease out just until it starts to pull forward a step or two, then squeeze it back in and walk it backwards a couple steps. Spent about 5 minutes or so doing this.

Then back and forth across again several times, feet still down, but feathering the clutch to pull us along.

Then trips back and forth getting just enough speed to actually ride in 1st gear.

Then we rode laps around the perimeter of the lot, in first gear still, to show how to turn the bike at low speeds (turn the direction you want to go). Then turned around and rode the other direction for several laps.

Then more laps, but in 2nd gear, fast enough that the turns now required countersteering to lean into the turn, and again back the other direction.

And that was pretty much the entire first hour on the bike.
I had to take the course when I moved to Texas and we spent a half day with what you just mentioned above. The Riders Edge Course is about 2 1/2 days long. I was really tired until it was over. The independent courses down here spend most of their time preaching Nazi BS about what happens if you are late or cannot make one of the days. The Harley course will tell you that if you are late or miss a day you don't forfeit your payment, you can make up the time at the next course which is offered almost every week. The Harley course is a bit more expensive, although they do have a lot of $49.00 Specials. Too me it was worth it not to have to listen to bunch of Nazis.

Kenny G

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page