Honda Rebel 300, 500, & 1100 Forum banner

New rider w/300, early experience

8K views 27 replies 16 participants last post by  Verdesardog 
#1 · (Edited)
Hey guys, I have 125-ish miles on my 300, which are the only miles I've been on a bike outside the MSF.
Disclaimer: I have been riding for 3 weeks and don't pretend to have any useful knowledge of motorcycle technique, etc, so please don't beat me up for a possibly stupid opinion here and there lol
This may be useful for people thinking about riding, but are afraid it may be too daunting.

That out of the way....
I landed on the 300 for cost only, otherwise probably would have got a 500. I don't regret it. I'm 39, and just starting riding. I'm not quite as quick/coordinated as I was when I was 17, even the 1986 Suzuki 125 at the MSF felt fast.
So the dealer delivered late night on a Friday, I started bright and early Saturday when I knew very few people would be on the road. The bike was parked in the street in front of my house, I stalled 4 times trying to pull from the curb lol (haven't stalled since though!) I went around the block to an empty church lot in my neighborhood, practiced all the MSF stuff for slow maneuvers, turning, etc. Then headed out around the neighborhood, lots of stop signs, slow turns from a stop, etc. I did that for a few days, then decided to hit the main road around here.
It's straight, single lane, only 35mph....but lots of cars/intersections so I was nervous. I got out on the road, and a car was riding way too close (in reality, they probably were a safe distance behind) so I decided to turn back into the neighborhood. I took that turn like an 18-wheeler, would have gone head on if there was a car coming up the street. The next day, same roads, but less traffic so I was going a bit faster. Decided to turn back into the neighborhood, got flustered, tried to make a 90 degree right turn in third gear (had no idea what gear I was in at the time), almost stalled mid-turn, panicked, pulled the clutch and shifted frantically down to first, continued in neutral through the turn, let the clutch out in first at way too fast a speed, and panicked again lol I went home.
That night I thought ,"How am I going to tell my wife that I spent all this money and can't do it?" I hit up this forum that night and read about other people beginning their journey, and mistakes, and encouragement from other members, so on. I hopped back on the bike the next day, mid-day when everyone was at work, went back on that same road and handled it like a champ (for like a 1/4 mile lol).

Skip to 2 weeks later (rode in the neighborhood, parking lot, and short stretches on high travel roads every day in-between)....I rode for 2 hours in one shot, local roads, 2 short stints on highways (60-65mph in right lane for like one exit length - about 2 miles). It all went very well.

Setting yourself up for success is crucial (in everything you do)....the second time I went on that main road, I went to the next traffic light instead of a side street, because I knew the cross street at the light was about a 45 degree turn rather than 90 degree, just to know I'd be safe and happy at the end of the ride.

I feel scared every time I start throwing my gear on, some days I just cruise around the neighborhood when everyone's at work (I work from home
) if I don't feel up to dealing with cars. It's all practice and getting comfortable.

Lastly, the topic of top speed on the 300 has been beaten to death on here and I'm not looking to revive a dead thread. I am 230lbs, hit 65 smoothly and comfortably before the end of the on ramp, and had a lot more throttle to give. In 6th "a lot more throttle" may only amount to 10mph more. Does that mean I want to ride cross country on it? Probably not, but it'd be an easy ride 10-15 miles to a nice restaurant in another area around here. A lot is said about it being buzzy at higher speeds. I find it to be buzzy from the time I start it until the time I shut it off lol....it didn't get worse at 65mph.

See less See more
#3 ·
Your story is much like mine. I got my 300 about 4 and half months ago. Also my first bike, but I turned 61 one month after getting the bike. I'm not as quick/coordinated as I used be, but I can assure you that you have nothing to worry about at age 39. I think you're going about it quite sensibly. Keep it up and you'll see constant progress.

As you break in the bike, you'll see the performance pickup. After the first oil change, I noticed that everything was smoother - less vibrations and easier shifts. Around 1500 miles, the bike seemed even quicker. And you'll also get more out of the bike as your skills improve. Don't push it - let it happen naturally.

#4 ·
It's actually refreshing to hear your story, and others and see that my experience is similar in that Im not the only one lol.

With just under 1100 miles since mid June when I first picked up my 300 brand new, I'm now a lot more comfortable on the road than I remember in the early days when I couldn't even get out of the neighborhood without a major underwear incident lol.

I have absolutely zero plans of going on the highway, and I really don't need to at all, even when I drive out of town, it's quite a nice drive off the highway with a lot more to see etc. That said...*ahem*...I have topped it out before at around 75 (disclaimer: on a closed course...yeah sure let's go with that) with no issues at all, and I do just fine keeping with light to light traffic. The 300 is good enough for now, but I am starting to wish for more in the first 2 gears from a torque off the line perspective...once I'm in 3rd and higher, I simply don't see the need for more (for me).

I'm in my mid 30s, around 200, and I find that my reaction time seems ok. I also took my time, watched a loooooot of motojitsu and ddfm, MC Rider etc. And tried to take it as slow as I felt comfortable. I never got the urge to ride outside of my comfort zone or race or act like an idiot. There's really no rush as long as you enjoy the process. I started commuting to work last month, and I feel I'm commanding my lane and lane positioning a lot better now. I have the most fun on weekends, with literally hours on end on the bike (3 hours nonstop sometimes). Still not racing, but just going out there and enjoying the roads, usually 10 over the speed limit or going with the flow of traffic, nothing crazy.

I can take bends comfortably at normal speeds. Straight line speed and lane maneuvering has been fine too. The only thing I keep biting my nails over is SLOW sharp 90 degrees...I just can't get it for whatever reason, I always feel like I'm too slow through those...better than the alternative, but could be a hazard in rush hour with a line up of cars behind you.

Anyway, take your time and enjoy ?

#6 ·
Charp,

I agree with your post 100%. Absolutely no need to rush it. Also, I could care less about dudes turning up on 600rr's and wtv ripping it like crazy from light to light, or saying 300 is not a "man's" bike. Are you enjoying? If the answer is yes, then do you! How much risk do you want to take? And whats the purpose of the bike to you? 300, 500, or a 1200..if you're having close calls and frustrating experiences on a bike with low cc's that's as forgiving as the Rebel, imagine your trouser accidents on a higher cc bike with way much less room for error! Took a motoguzzi 1200 out the other day...nooooooooope. I am not ready lol. Literally a flinch on the throttle and you're a mile further ahead than you were a second ago. No thanks, I just want to cruise on a Sunday.

Anyway, I find almost 99% of all riders on the road give respect to the fact that you're on the road just like they are, waive, nod, comment positively etc. It's not a competition or who has the bigger swinging...you know.

Also, yes the bike did seem to wake up after a while...but that could just be me getting more used to it and getting more out of it because I'm not too nervous about other tasks at hand...you know, like keeping it upright and in the right gear in the correct lane.

#12 ·
I love the 300 for my purposes, especially being a new rider. It’s sole purpose is the enjoyment I get as soon as I sit on it. I’ve used it locally a couple times for work, and pretty much every day for fun, just riding with nowhere to go. It fits me perfectly - height wise, I’m a bit overweight for my height lol - so it’s a very comfortable ride.
I know you weren’t addressing me specifically about other riders not caring about the engine size, etc.....but for other people thinking of getting into riding on a low cc bike who may be thinking that these low cc bikes aren’t “good enough” or they will be judged....that thought has never crossed my mind when riding. I haven’t really gone over half to 3/4 throttle, and haven’t needed more here locally. I wouldn’t ride from NJ to NC to visit my dad on the bike, but I would need a LOT more riding experience before doing that anyway.

#7 ·
As long as we're all sharing our stories...

I too had zero intention of going on the freeway when I first started, but about 2 months in, I accidentally got on the freeway. LOL! Yeah, I know. How in the heck does one get on the freeway by accident? Well, in my case, I was on a road that ends at stop light. Go left or right to stay on city streets Go straight and you're getting on the freeway. At the time, I was concentrating on situational awareness. SEE - search, evaluate, execute. As I approached the light, it was green, so my attention was on finding hazards. In my defense, it's long on ramp and you can't see the freeway until you've gone through a sort of tunnel-like underpass. As soon as I got through the intersection, it dawned on me where I was, but there was no turning around. Fortunately, there was almost no traffic during that time of day, it was only 1 mile to the next exit, and there was a separate lane that runs all the way to that exit. It wasn't a real a ride on the freeway, but it was my first time going 65 mph. Talk about a death grip.

Since then I've been getting on the freeway (on purpose) for short runs of just 1 or 2 exits. Each time, I get a little more comfortable with the speed and wind. A small bike with no wind screen is never going to be a great bike for long trips on the freeway, but I do want to be able to use the freeway so as to extend where I can ride. Just taking it slow and building up my skills and confidence.

#9 ·
Thanks for your post! I dropped my bike in the garage the day the dealer delivered it the beginning of this month. I immediately had buyer's remorse when it went back to the dealer to install a new shift lever. I started like you for the first couple of days. I too was nervous always putting my gear on. I have since found that in such a short time my skills have greatly improved and I'm really enjoying riding. Today I went on my longest ride (25 miles) and felt very comfortable. I'm able to cruise in 6th gear around 55 mph on local streets without getting on a highway (don't intend to). I bought the 500 and I'm glad I did.

#10 ·
Thanks for your post Dan, I can totally relate. Took the MSF course and got my license in March. Bought a Honda 500x at the end of April but it bit me two weeks later. Couldn’t ride for months with a broken thumb and started wondering if at my 50-something age should I be getting back at all.

My husband is a great enabler tho and had me sitting on all the different bikes at the local shops. The Rebel just fit better than the X ever did. A few weeks ago the chance came to trade for the Rebel 300, we jumped on it. It’s been a slow process getting back. A lot of parking lot time and short hops around town. But it’s been more fun than expected. Yesterday was my biggest day yet - 32 miles.

The nerves are stillthere suiting up and at most intersections but it’s getting easier. Seat time brings confidence. Just need to find more reasons to leave the house where I’m not picking up or delivering someone/thing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#14 · (Edited)
Dan,

No freeway for me! With the hack attached anyway. I am pushing a larger frontal area than a Smart car. The best it will do is 55mph in top cog, WFO. I weigh 240, the hack ways 175, and Tucker weighs 55.

Its an inner city rig only, just me and my Pup, "Tucker".

The 300 is the perfect tug for a Velorex 562 Cruiser sidecar!

Attachments

#15 ·
I started riding last Apr at the young age of 43 with no experience or permit I bought a 18 Rebel 500 which the salesman was nice enough to drop my bike off at the house when he got off work. The next day I got my permit and practiced in my neighborhood and at my daughters high school parking lot. I watched a ton of motojitsu and ddfm, MC Rider videos which helped alot also watch moto crash videos there are a ton of them. You will learn what not to do. LOL! By June, I completed my MSF course and have my licence. As for highway driving, I like it because everyone is going the same direction and I make sure I keep a buffer all around me. I travel with the flow of traffic which is 80-85 mph, and the 500 does fine. Now I have 3500 miles on it and no regrets except I will be buying a new seat. I don't see how SC48 can ride three hours straight unless he has a iron butt. LOL. I can go 45 mins but then my 200 lb rear is hurting. I'm also timid at 90 degree turns also, but last week I some how scraped my peg going left. I think it happened because I completely turn my head into the turn and went by feeling out the bike. I admit it was fun but it is something I don't try to do every time.

#18 ·
I'm also tall (185cm), but stock seat don't appeal so bad to me, ok it's bit reshaped and little higher and after lots of kms it become surprisingly comfy for me... Knees are that give me more problems- are well worn out:frown2: so sometimes ride is painfull experience, but still not deal breaker, yet0:)

#19 ·
First off, congratulations and just keep riding. The skills you learned in the MSF will carry you through IF you remember to look ahead and in the direction you WANT to go. I'm 64 years old and just began this new adventure in life and my real regret is not starting riding sooner. Like you, I experienced the same butterflies and "what if's" when I was getting in my gear but just told myself to remember to pay attention, give an escape path, and when facing something iffy to err on the side of caution.

I've been riding less than two months and have about 500 miles on my '19 Rebel. I elected to go with the 500 instead of the 300 as I wanted more torque to get me out of trouble if need be. Driving cars competitively gave me experiences with proper apexes and operating a manual transmission for over four decades got the clutch down good so haven't had problems with that part. The only time I stalled the Honda was when I shifted into first with the stand down (a good thing). Folks have complained about the seat and my bike came with the aftermarket Corbin "two up" seat which was a huge selling point for me. It's comfy as hell and I feel I could ride the bike all day without pains in the gluteus maximus areas. I sat on several bikes but the Rebel has good standover and my feet are planted with slight bend in the knees at stops; this was also a confidence builder.

As for tutorials, there are excellent youtube vids out there and my favorite is DDFM (DanDantheFireman) as he has experience as an instructor, rider, and as a firefighter/EMT has seen the ugly side of riding first hand. Riding at highway/city speeds is pretty easy compared to the slow stuff and I still struggle with that at times. Each ride should be a little push over the one that preceded it and if you're not comfortable with where you are on the roadways, signal and pull over when safe to let traffic by. They and you will appreciate it and it won't be another thing to focus on when your mind is already struggling to factor in the "bogies" that are there already. Hope you continue to post up and that your riding goes well.

Mary Pozzi

#21 ·
Hey guys, I have 125-ish miles on my 300, which are the only miles I've been on a bike outside the MSF.
Disclaimer: I have been riding for 3 weeks and don't pretend to have any useful knowledge of motorcycle technique, etc, so please don't beat me up for a possibly stupid opinion here and there lol
This may be useful for people thinking about riding, but are afraid it may be too daunting.

That out of the way....
I landed on the 300 for cost only, otherwise probably would have got a 500. I don't regret it. I'm 39, and just starting riding. I'm not quite as quick/coordinated as I was when I was 17, even the 1986 Suzuki 125 at the MSF felt fast.
So the dealer delivered late night on a Friday, I started bright and early Saturday when I knew very few people would be on the road. The bike was parked in the street in front of my house, I stalled 4 times trying to pull from the curb lol (haven't stalled since though!) I went around the block to an empty church lot in my neighborhood, practiced all the MSF stuff for slow maneuvers, turning, etc. Then headed out around the neighborhood, lots of stop signs, slow turns from a stop, etc. I did that for a few days, then decided to hit the main road around here.
It's straight, single lane, only 35mph....but lots of cars/intersections so I was nervous. I got out on the road, and a car was riding way too close (in reality, they probably were a safe distance behind) so I decided to turn back into the neighborhood. I took that turn like an 18-wheeler, would have gone head on if there was a car coming up the street. The next day, same roads, but less traffic so I was going a bit faster. Decided to turn back into the neighborhood, got flustered, tried to make a 90 degree right turn in third gear (had no idea what gear I was in at the time), almost stalled mid-turn, panicked, pulled the clutch and shifted frantically down to first, continued in neutral through the turn, let the clutch out in first at way too fast a speed, and panicked again lol I went home.
That night I thought ,"How am I going to tell my wife that I spent all this money and can't do it?" I hit up this forum that night and read about other people beginning their journey, and mistakes, and encouragement from other members, so on. I hopped back on the bike the next day, mid-day when everyone was at work, went back on that same road and handled it like a champ (for like a 1/4 mile lol).

Skip to 2 weeks later (rode in the neighborhood, parking lot, and short stretches on high travel roads every day in-between)....I rode for 2 hours in one shot, local roads, 2 short stints on highways (60-65mph in right lane for like one exit length - about 2 miles). It all went very well.

Setting yourself up for success is crucial (in everything you do)....the second time I went on that main road, I went to the next traffic light instead of a side street, because I knew the cross street at the light was about a 45 degree turn rather than 90 degree, just to know I'd be safe and happy at the end of the ride.

I feel scared every time I start throwing my gear on, some days I just cruise around the neighborhood when everyone's at work (I work from home
) if I don't feel up to dealing with cars. It's all practice and getting comfortable.

Lastly, the topic of top speed on the 300 has been beaten to death on here and I'm not looking to revive a dead thread. I am 230lbs, hit 65 smoothly and comfortably before the end of the on ramp, and had a lot more throttle to give. In 6th "a lot more throttle" may only amount to 10mph more. Does that mean I want to ride cross country on it? Probably not, but it'd be an easy ride 10-15 miles to a nice restaurant in another area around here. A lot is said about it being buzzy at higher speeds. I find it to be buzzy from the time I start it until the time I shut it off lol....it didn't get worse at 65mph.
I really, really like to go through and read how it's been for other new drivers and how they overcame their fears. I am the type of person that has issues with giving something up when I get frustrated or hurt and I do NOT want that to happen with my Rebel... My husband got a Harley a month ago and his only experience was a dirt bike he had when he was a LOT younger... But, I witnessed him struggle a little at first and then within a day or two he was out on the road (very small amounts of time each trip). He's been helping me with learning, but I am taking it VERY slowly so I don't overwhelm myself. I'm also studying the handbook for getting my temps at the same time to try and get a feel for stuff as a book study as well.

We have a class with Harley for learning how to ride (they signed both my husband and I up for it for "free" when we got his bike) and I want to go in with SOME idea of what I am doing... I have no idea how different their lighter Sportsters are from my Rebel, though, so that should be interesting.

I don't know when I'll be ready for anything other than the neighborhood (we have a TINY one, though) or a parking lot, and to get it to a parking lot I'd have to drive and have my husband take the bike.. I drove behind him when he first went out into the street so that other drivers couldn't get too close to him or scare him, so I'm sure he will do the same or use his bike.

Anyway, long rant to say thank you for sharing this. It gives me courage to try and try again. I did decent yesterday with my first attempt. I think I stalled it out once, but that was because a neighbor was watching and I got super nervous... I hope I get over that.

#22 ·
I really, really like to go through and read how it's been for other new drivers and how they overcame their fears. I am the type of person that has issues with giving something up when I get frustrated or hurt and I do NOT want that to happen with my Rebel... My husband got a Harley a month ago and his only experience was a dirt bike he had when he was a LOT younger... But, I witnessed him struggle a little at first and then within a day or two he was out on the road (very small amounts of time each trip). He's been helping me with learning, but I am taking it VERY slowly so I don't overwhelm myself. I'm also studying the handbook for getting my temps at the same time to try and get a feel for stuff as a book study as well.

We have a class with Harley for learning how to ride (they signed both my husband and I up for it for "free" when we got his bike) and I want to go in with SOME idea of what I am doing... I have no idea how different their lighter Sportsters are from my Rebel, though, so that should be interesting.

I don't know when I'll be ready for anything other than the neighborhood (we have a TINY one, though) or a parking lot, and to get it to a parking lot I'd have to drive and have my husband take the bike.. I drove behind him when he first went out into the street so that other drivers couldn't get too close to him or scare him, so I'm sure he will do the same or use his bike.

Anyway, long rant to say thank you for sharing this. It gives me courage to try and try again. I did decent yesterday with my first attempt. I think I stalled it out once, but that was because a neighbor was watching and I got super nervous... I hope I get over that.
I just started in Feb. Take it at your pace and remember that you will go through ups and downs. It's normal. One day you'll feel and do everything so smooth and easy and a few days later it will be like you forgot everything. I turned home early on those days but got right out the next day. Just keep riding and it will come.

Some later tips I learned:
1. I rode solo for almost a month and then went out with a neighbor who was far more experienced. I followed and even though he was going slow for the noobie, it made me work a bit to keep up. I purposefully rode my own ride (i.e. don't recklessly follow a better rider into things you're not comfortable with) but following him somehow got me out of my head and I just rode better with more confidence.
2. Another trick to get out of your head (i.e. overthinking everything after 4-8 weeks) was to get a Cardo PackTalk and start listening to music while riding. Reminded me of high school when you'd stop thinking of nothing but the driving instruction and just do it.

#24 ·
@a2shato you'll get the hang of it in time. just proceed slowly as you 've mentioned already. don't do more than you think you can handle.

@Edwards sorry but I have to disagree, the last thing you want is the distraction of listening to music. you should be listening to the motorcycle and everything around you , ESPECIALLY if you are new to everything

#27 ·
What you describe is EXACTLY how I felt the first few times I rode my Rebel post-MSF class. What got me over the Hump of Stress was taking my riding on a step-by-step basis. The first week or so I went to a local subdivision and practiced upshifting and downshifting between first, second, and third gears, braking to a stop and braking to slow for a corner, and starting off. I did this ad nauseum until the motions became routine and I didn't have to think about them much. From there, I went to roads where fourth and fifth gears needed to be seen and rode there for a few days. After that, I rode some twisty roads through local hills and after that I interspersed freeways where 65 mph was ridden. I practiced cornering and breaking down the three parts of a corner with my riding lines. Corners have three parts ... corner entry (self explanatory), the apex (part of the corner where you are at the most inside of your lane), and track out (exit of the corner where you are approaching the straightaway). I worked on the knowledge I had gained from MSF school and each ride was an extension of the one before it. I "ride my own ride" and don't fall prey to what others want me to do or offer a challenge on. I want to grow as a rider and also expand that comfort zone to feel more confident. Confidence shouldn't be mistaken for cockiness as I have a huge respect for my motorcycle and that if I do something really, really bonehead, I can get hurt or worse.

I ride with my head on a swivel and my eyes are up and looking through my corners. A good mantra is "Hands follow the eyes and the bike follows the hands." While we lean and counter-steer for turns, the fundamentals are the same regarding your vision and where you're looking at vs. where you go. Each and every ride, I work on proper riding technique, my "lean," and counter-steer or in my terminology, a counter-press, of the bars. I keep to the posted speed limits and if traffic builds behind me, I move to the roadside and let them pass with a wave of thanks. My cell phone is always with me in my tank bag but is on "do not disturb" until I can look at it again when stopped and parked.

Give this time, a2shato. Practice the slow maneuvers and in the beginning, don't be afraid to do the "duck waddle" to get yourself turned around or into a parking space. And finally, if you have a friend that can help with constructive criticism and offer good advice, take them up on it. And when you get to the stage in your riding where you can ride with others, choose the groups wisely. Pick "no rider left behind" groups and those that will help beginners.

You've got this and don't give up.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.