Honda Rebel 300, 500, & 1100 Forum banner

Tank labels

30K views 60 replies 33 participants last post by  Codrin Marius 
#1 ·
So as I sit here admiring the looks of this bike, I am distracted by the labels on the tank by the filler. Have any of you removed yours yet?

#20 ·
I used TurtleWax Sticker Remover, and then cleaned the adhesive residue off with mineral spirits (paint thinner).

I had one slightly noticeable thumb nail mark from where I started to loosen the label. I washed away all the solvent remains with warm soapy water and then used very fine rubbing compound on a piece of a T-Shirt to get rid of the mark. I then waxed the tank with my all time favorite wax, Johnson Paste Wax.

All the free T-Shirts that we accumulate, and never wear, are excellent for polishing and waxing. Microfiber may be the contemporary way of polishing, but it will never be better than a piece of old T-Shirt. Cut away and discard the advertising from the shirt material before using. You cannot beat the price.

Kenny G

#22 ·
I took my tank label off. Don't do it! They clear coated over it so gas wouldn't remove it. So I bought clear coat and o had no clue what I was doing so I stopped. I'm getting a traditional style tattoo wolf painted on my tank this winter and I'll probably paint it white. I'm seriously waiting for a solid rear fender. This tailight has to go!

#25 ·

Did you attempt to remove the Honda emblem on the sides of the tank? They are definitely applied before the clear coat.

I think most of us have been discussing the "Warning Labels" on top of the tank.

When I removed the 2 warning labels I found there was a layer of clear tape over the apparent Mylar printed labels. The first label I peeled the tape off and then the Mylar, that was a mistake. The second label I started and then kept respraying the Sticker Remover under the Mylar and peeled both layers right off.
With the first label after peeling the tape off the Mylar just tore off in little pieces.

Kenny G

#27 ·
This thread has been mis-named since the day it was born. It was referring to the regulatory stickers on the frame at the forks, and other similar labels. The logo on the tank is under the clear coat, and trying to remove it with a fingernail or adhesive remover would not do anything. Now using a knife or chisel would get ugly in a hurry.

#44 ·
Appreciate the help. Never done it before so am a bit nervous about messing up the paint job but I think I'll give it a go. Saw some youtube videos on it. Just wasn't sure if the white makes it particularly susceptible to nicks or scratches. But I think I'll go for it. Thank you.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.