New indicators/backlight - Honda Rebel 300 & 500 Forum
 13Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 30 (permalink) Old 03-16-2018, 05:05 PM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Garage
New indicators/backlight

I've teared apart the back fender here for the sole purpose of fitting these:
Set Of 4 Black CNC Machined Billet Alum Custom Integrated Front & Rear Turn Signals - MAX-INC AUSTRALIA
And the thought had from the start been to mount them at the rear mounting point of the bolts on the fender.
However, the brackets on the bike, and the structural part of the fender, combined they both build 2,2 cm/ 0,86 inch. So to mount the indicators with a nut, you'd need minimum 3 cm/1.18 inch rod on them to be able to pass through it all, and to be able to fasten it with a nut. It's the bare minimum.
So sadly, my indicators only have a 2 cm rod on them. The thread on them though did screw into the nut for the fender bolt. I'm gonna try for fun to screw them in and see how they line up. I'm not expecting them to be pointing the right way thou when tightened...
So I'll be mounting them to the back of the brackets instead, which actually is beneficial for four reasons actually:
1 - It saves me a lot of hassle to get it to work by using the rear mounting hole for the fender.
2 - It makes the wiring way easier, as it becomes more "plug and play" kinda set up.
3 - You're able to remove the back fender itself without having to remove the indicator/wires
4 - The ease and fact that it's smooth sailing to mount the indicators on the bracket. At the very back of them, on the inside of them, there is a "dimple" inwards, where it's more than enough place for the rod and a nut.

I'm still curious as heck to as how others have managed to use the rear fender bolt to mount indicators! It's bothering me a little. The only way possible ways I see are either: They have after marked indicators with long enough rod/bolt to make it through the whole piece with thread to screw a nut onto. Or, they have actually screwed them into the original threads and luckily? managed to have them point the right way? I dunno, I don't get it...

Will hopefully be able to get the indicators up and running tomorrow, so I'll keep you posted on the progress!
Twizzian likes this.

Lyoko - Black Rebel 500
post #2 of 30 (permalink) Old 03-16-2018, 07:55 PM

Yup. I see that as a problem for this application. Fortunately, for me, my father-in-law had a longer bolt hollowed out for me. Works like a charm! Hoping to finish them up soon.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
post #3 of 30 (permalink) Old 03-17-2018, 02:53 AM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kjd44 View Post
Yup. I see that as a problem for this application. Fortunately, for me, my father-in-law had a longer bolt hollowed out for me. Works like a charm! Hoping to finish them up soon.

Lucky b'astard... How where you able to swap out the bolt with a longer one?!

Lyoko - Black Rebel 500
post #4 of 30 (permalink) Old 03-17-2018, 11:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lyoko View Post
Lucky b'astard... How where you able to swap out the bolt with a longer one?!
We

He found same size but longer solid bolt and machine shop hollowed it out (as far as I know anyway). It is actually a tad bit bigger in diameter but better quality. Perfect size.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #5 of 30 (permalink) Old 03-17-2018, 11:28 AM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Garage
Quote:
We

He found same size but longer solid bolt and machine shop hollowed it out (as far as I know anyway). It is actually a tad bit bigger in diameter but better quality. Perfect size.
Ah, I see. Yeah if only I had a lathe machine myself, I could do the same.. Oh well, I've got the new lights mounted onto the bike today, so I'm happy
Kjd44 likes this.

Lyoko - Black Rebel 500
post #6 of 30 (permalink) Old 03-17-2018, 01:53 PM

I'm curious about how you did the wiring. Why does the turn signal lights on the rebel have three wires each? I understand three wires for the brake light because you also have the running light.
post #7 of 30 (permalink) Old 03-17-2018, 02:06 PM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan500 View Post
I'm curious about how you did the wiring. Why does the turn signal lights on the rebel have three wires each? I understand three wires for the brake light because you also have the running light.
I'm not done with the wiring yet, work in progress Barely got started on the wiring today, but had to call it quits when my fingers was more blue than skin color Still freezing temperature here, and a bit of wind today as well, so yeah.. It's bloody cold...
But not to worry, I'll be making a detailed documentary of the progress

Ah, the indicators at the front has 3 wires, but not those as the rear! The front ones are: 1 for ground, 1 for the blinking/indicating, and one for Daytime Running Light
Ryan500 likes this.

Lyoko - Black Rebel 500
post #8 of 30 (permalink) Old 03-17-2018, 04:57 PM

Quote:
I'm not done with the wiring yet, work in progress Barely got started on the wiring today, but had to call it quits when my fingers was more blue than skin color Still freezing temperature here, and a bit of wind today as well, so yeah.. It's bloody cold...
But not to worry, I'll be making a detailed documentary of the progress

Ah, the indicators at the front has 3 wires, but not those as the rear! The front ones are: 1 for ground, 1 for the blinking/indicating, and one for Daytime Running Light

Not sure what you're doing for tail light but I cut the angled piece off of the original brick mount and welded it would n to my new mount. No need to drill new holes. I can use the original holes and screws.

post #9 of 30 (permalink) Old 03-18-2018, 02:28 AM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Garage
Quote:
Not sure what you're doing for tail light but I cut the angled piece off of the original brick mount and welded it would n to my new mount. No need to drill new holes. I can use the original holes and screws.
I'll give you a hint: There is a link at the top
My new setup will be a indicator housing that has all the lights needed: Driving light, brake light, and ofc indication.

As for the mount, I'll be using the stock one for now. But yeah, I've had the same thought as you've done. Also debating weather or not to skip the whole bracket, and just use the little flip that sticks out from the back of the fender.
I'll see how I'm digging the placement with the stock bracket for now.

Lyoko - Black Rebel 500
post #10 of 30 (permalink) Old 03-18-2018, 08:21 AM

Quote:
I'll give you a hint: There is a link at the top
My new setup will be a indicator housing that has all the lights needed: Driving light, brake light, and ofc indication.

As for the mount, I'll be using the stock one for now. But yeah, I've had the same thought as you've done. Also debating weather or not to skip the whole bracket, and just use the little flip that sticks out from the back of the fender.
I'll see how I'm digging the placement with the stock bracket for now.

Nice. I thought about an integrated system but like the idea of having a dedicated stop light. Too many idiots on the road! Didnít want to confuse them!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page