Backlight mod - Honda Rebel 300 & 500 Forum
 32Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 45 (permalink) Old 05-26-2017, 11:05 AM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Garage
Backlight mod

So the bike it self is still rather new on the marked, so ofc there ain't a sea of topics going on about it, yet.
But I must say I'm surprised that nobody has mentioned the backlight on it.
IT'S HUGE!
I saw a consept drawing of the Rebel back in January where is was much smaller, and more sleek, and then BOOM, they decide to place a brick there instead. *sigh*
Sad to say I can't find that drawing again here...

Anyhuw, so the first thing to disappear from my bike was that bloody brick!

It's not the most beautiful mod, it's just temporarily, until something more suitable comes onto the marked.
I'm hoping someone might come up with a tailtidy of sorts for it.

Didn't realize how big those blinkers were until i changed the backlight thou...
But those will be gone with time as well.
On the consept drawing bellow here they actually had the blinkers further bak. Safe to say I'll move them back there some day when I find new blinkers.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Compair.jpg
Views:	2605
Size:	259.4 KB
ID:	929   Click image for larger version

Name:	broadsidelight.jpg
Views:	4965
Size:	374.8 KB
ID:	937   Click image for larger version

Name:	2017-honda-rebel-300-500-review-specs-motorcycle-cruiser-bike-cbr-180.jpg
Views:	3527
Size:	312.6 KB
ID:	945  
mmm and GazzasNewToy like this.
post #2 of 45 (permalink) Old 05-26-2017, 11:37 AM

I'm also looking to replace the brick with something very sleeks and integrated with the turn signals. I have a feeling this bike will get loads of accessories later on and will be super fun to mod.
post #3 of 45 (permalink) Old 05-26-2017, 01:31 PM

Although I hate the backlight, I think I prefer it over what you did. The bolts sticking out the top are not appealing, I feel like without changing the blinkers to clear style lenses that brake light doesn't match at all. I think what bothers me the most is I didn't realize how massive Norway License plates were. I feel bad for you.

How hard was it to remove that top brake light from the assembly? I am looking into some options and I am still debating if I should remove that whole assembly or just modify it like you did.
FLrebel likes this.
post #4 of 45 (permalink) Old 05-26-2017, 01:44 PM
Super Moderator

Garage
I've been looking into a way to build integrated blinkers / tail lights so the rear center light can be eliminated. There are a few design online. I would use the original housings and build an LED array to handle running light, blinker, and stop light all under the same lenses.

Keith from Maine USA - Rebel R1
post #5 of 45 (permalink) Old 05-26-2017, 03:59 PM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by shortyg83 View Post
Although I hate the backlight, I think I prefer it over what you did. The bolts sticking out the top are not appealing, I feel like without changing the blinkers to clear style lenses that brake light doesn't match at all. I think what bothers me the most is I didn't realize how massive Norway License plates were. I feel bad for you.

How hard was it to remove that top brake light from the assembly? I am looking into some options and I am still debating if I should remove that whole assembly or just modify it like you did.
Yeah I know, it ain't all that pretty. But for me, it's better than the brick.
The bolts are there, only because if I had removed everything there, then there would be 2 giant holes ontop of the plastic. So I figured it was better to leave it like that for the time being, until I redo the whole back side of the bike.
And yeah, the blinkers suddently became huge aswell when the backlight dissapaired :/ Not too pleased with the look of it, but oh well..
Haha, that reminded me of the tale of little red riding hood. "Who do you have such big glasses? So I can see you better" Maybe the cops here all have bad eyesight and need to see my plate better? I dunno..
How big are your normal ones?
post #6 of 45 (permalink) Old 05-26-2017, 04:02 PM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 01-7700 View Post
I've been looking into a way to build integrated blinkers / tail lights so the rear center light can be eliminated. There are a few design online. I would use the original housings and build an LED array to handle running light, blinker, and stop light all under the same lenses.
That sounds... cramped. And illegal At least in Norway, here they have rules on how close/far lights have to be to eachother, so something like what you're mentioning would get you pulled over right away.
post #7 of 45 (permalink) Old 05-27-2017, 02:21 PM

I want to see if someone can make a rear fender with an integrated under fender strip light that would suffice for brake and turn signal operation. Combine that with a tail tidy that has an independent plate light and it could look super clean.
post #8 of 45 (permalink) Old 05-27-2017, 02:40 PM
Super Moderator

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lyoko-Code View Post
That sounds... cramped. And illegal At least in Norway, here they have rules on how close/far lights have to be to eachother, so something like what you're mentioning would get you pulled over right away.
They would be arranged like the blinkers are now, one on each side. It would be legal in my area.

post #9 of 45 (permalink) Old 05-27-2017, 02:44 PM
Super Moderator

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saint View Post
I want to see if someone can make a rear fender with an integrated under fender strip light that would suffice for brake and turn signal operation. Combine that with a tail tidy that has an independent plate light and it could look super clean.
Not exactly what you asked but cool

post #10 of 45 (permalink) Old 05-27-2017, 06:00 PM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 01-7700 View Post
They would be arranged like the blinkers are now, one on each side. It would be legal in my area.
Well.. You guys over the pond have a strange way of dealing with backlight.. With the fact that you are allowed to use the same light colour for blinkers, as your driving/breaking light. That's a big no no over here, so people who import american cars to use here have had some big problems with the whole driving light/blinker light setup.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page