handle grips - Honda Rebel 300 & 500 Forum
 6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-25-2017, 07:09 PM Thread Starter

Garage
handle grips

Has anyone tried replacing the handle grips on these bikes yet?

just wondering how much of a pain it would be. lol. looking at getting ones with a thicker grip, a bit more showy you know. any input?
post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-25-2017, 07:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by macjosh1 View Post
Has anyone tried replacing the handle grips on these bikes yet?

just wondering how much of a pain it would be. lol. looking at getting ones with a thicker grip, a bit more showy you know. any input?
Keep in mind the grips are 1" Most grips on the market ar 7/8" so make sure you order the right ones.

The grips are glued on. You can use wd-40 with the long red straw to help remove them.
rebelwithoutacause likes this.
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-25-2017, 07:44 PM

I replaced mine with a set of Kuryakyn Kinetic grips.

Those stock grips are ON there, lemme tell ya lol. I gave up trying to get them off intact and ended up just cutting them off.

Kuryakyns went on easy peasy.
post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-25-2017, 10:21 PM

I took a set of the cheap foam ones and slid them over the stock grips. Fit great, nice and fat.
jsonder likes this.
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-26-2017, 10:22 AM
Super Moderator

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Djdavies View Post
I took a set of the cheap foam ones and slid them over the stock grips. Fit great, nice and fat.
Isn't that like REALLY thick to hold onto now?! Could you take a pic of it?
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-26-2017, 12:34 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lyoko-Code View Post
think it would depend. the thicker the grips are, the less vibration you'd feel through the handle bar. least that's the theory. another reason why I want new ones. driving on the highway, after about 15-20 min my hands are going a bit numb.

same thing with the seat, its comfortable enough cruise around town, but the highway, my arse gets numb then its just bloody awful. haha.
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-26-2017, 01:10 PM
Super Moderator

Garage
Quote:
think it would depend. the thicker the grips are, the less vibration you'd feel through the handle bar. least that's the theory. another reason why I want new ones. driving on the highway, after about 15-20 min my hands are going a bit numb.

same thing with the seat, its comfortable enough cruise around town, but the highway, my arse gets numb then its just bloody awful. haha.
Yeah I can relate to that. In my case I'm not all that used to drive on a bike daily, so I kinda figured it was more or less a part of the driving, and that it takes to get somewhat used to.
For me the seat feels as if the back of it, the edge, is like really steep upwards, so that instead of following the curve of my body/ass, it hits me somewhat further up and doesn't give full resting support all over. Kinda anoying.
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-26-2017, 02:31 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Yeah I can relate to that. In my case I'm not all that used to drive on a bike daily, so I kinda figured it was more or less a part of the driving, and that it takes to get somewhat used to.
For me the seat feels as if the back of it, the edge, is like really steep upwards, so that instead of following the curve of my body/ass, it hits me somewhat further up and doesn't give full resting support all over. Kinda anoying.
Ya its my first time on a bike, been riding for 2 weeks now. its been sunny almost everyday, so I drive the 2kms to work back and forth every day, then I go for a coffee downtown with other riders in the evening. Can't say I am experienced, but I been riding it long enough to get a good feel for it. In this case a bad feeling. lol.

And your right, I either got my crotch at the tank, or me arse into the little back support thing of the seat. There is a happy medium between the two, but takes a big to find it, and soon as you shift, hit a bump, go around a corner, its gone. lol.
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-26-2017, 03:44 PM
Super Moderator

Garage
Quote:
Ya its my first time on a bike, been riding for 2 weeks now. its been sunny almost everyday, so I drive the 2kms to work back and forth every day, then I go for a coffee downtown with other riders in the evening. Can't say I am experienced, but I been riding it long enough to get a good feel for it. In this case a bad feeling. lol.

And your right, I either got my crotch at the tank, or me arse into the little back support thing of the seat. There is a happy medium between the two, but takes a big to find it, and soon as you shift, hit a bump, go around a corner, its gone. lol.
Yeah as a bike to maintly just commute with, then it's a superb bike as it stands.
70-80% of the time it'll just be to commute with for me, but I do plan on driving it alot in the weekends for long drives, so I'm seriously gonna get that seat replaced. Either that, or there's gonna have to be a wheelchair awailable for me at every place I stop at, lol!
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-26-2017, 08:23 PM

Quote:
It looks to be 1/8" thick, so that's adding about 1/4", so not much. And I find it to be more comfortable. I pulled it back for the comparison.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0108.jpg
Views:	384
Size:	144.6 KB
ID:	961  

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page