Help! Handlebar mounted mirrors - Honda Rebel 300 & 500 Forum
 3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 26 (permalink) Old 05-25-2017, 06:38 PM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Garage
Help! Handlebar mounted mirrors

Hey guys (girls?)

So I'm new here, so bear with me and go easy on me, will ya?
And as a matter of fact I'm rather new to having a mc, and yes, the lovely Honda Rebel 500 became my choise as a first bike.

So the thing is, I'm used to deal with things myself and thinker away with just about anything, and with a bike on my hands it's no different.
But I've come across a slight problem.

The mirrors in the pic are the ones I'm trying to mount.
Shouldnt be a problem, right? That's what I thought at least, boy was I wrong...
For those who are unfamiliar with what kind of problems you'll have trying mounting something like this, it is:
The girps on the handlebar has a 0,7 cm thick rubber part at the end. Remove that and you'll find yourself staring at a piece of aluminium. Not into the handlebar itself as I was expecting.
So I thought it was problably just a smale seal then, should be easy to remove. I drilled a 1,2 cm deep hole into it. Still not trou the lump of aluminium.
At this point I was just baffeled with how they have designed this handlebar, so I havn't tried anything else at the moment.
So I figured, why not shout out and see if someone else already has dealth with this problem? And HOW?!
Oh, and this is currently just on the left side. No idea what might be waiting me on the throttle side
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	handlebarmirror.jpg
Views:	179
Size:	20.8 KB
ID:	921  
post #2 of 26 (permalink) Old 05-25-2017, 06:48 PM
Super Moderator

Garage
Welcome!
Lyoko likes this.

Keith from Maine USA - Rebel R1
post #3 of 26 (permalink) Old 05-25-2017, 07:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lyoko-Code View Post
Hey guys (girls?)

So I'm new here, so bear with me and go easy on me, will ya?
And as a matter of fact I'm rather new to having a mc, and yes, the lovely Honda Rebel 500 became my choise as a first bike.

So the thing is, I'm used to deal with things myself and thinker away with just about anything, and with a bike on my hands it's no different.
But I've come across a slight problem.

The mirrors in the pic are the ones I'm trying to mount.
Shouldnt be a problem, right? That's what I thought at least, boy was I wrong...
For those who are unfamiliar with what kind of problems you'll have trying mounting something like this, it is:
The girps on the handlebar has a 0,7 cm thick rubber part at the end. Remove that and you'll find yourself staring at a piece of aluminium. Not into the handlebar itself as I was expecting.
So I thought it was problably just a smale seal then, should be easy to remove. I drilled a 1,2 cm deep hole into it. Still not trou the lump of aluminium.
At this point I was just baffeled with how they have designed this handlebar, so I havn't tried anything else at the moment.
So I figured, why not shout out and see if someone else already has dealth with this problem? And HOW?!
Oh, and this is currently just on the left side. No idea what might be waiting me on the throttle side
Yea I posted about this in a different thread. You will likely need new handlebars if you want to use bar end mirrors on this bike. You could keep cutting that part out but it will take forever.
post #4 of 26 (permalink) Old 05-25-2017, 11:51 PM

Garage

"Ride Safe, Chop Safer" Motorcycles are not unsafe. However; they are extremely unforgiving of inattention, incompetence, ignorance, and stupidity.
http://shadow-shack.20m.com
post #5 of 26 (permalink) Old 05-26-2017, 12:46 AM

Wow a 9 min vid doing the easiest part and not helping the OP and his challenge. "Spready- thingy", really?
post #6 of 26 (permalink) Old 05-26-2017, 06:51 AM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by shortyg83 View Post
Yea I posted about this in a different thread. You will likely need new handlebars if you want to use bar end mirrors on this bike. You could keep cutting that part out but it will take forever.
Could you give me a link to that post? Can't find it anywhere.

Well I was thinking, since the lump in there is so big, then I could just drill it up a bit more, and then use special tools to make threads inside it, and just screw the mirror onto the handlebar instead. That atm seems to be the easyest way of doing it. Either that, or start moving everything on the handlebar and mount them with clamps down onto the handlebar, but that seems like a pain in the ass to do!
post #7 of 26 (permalink) Old 05-26-2017, 06:55 AM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Djdavies View Post
Wow a 9 min vid doing the easiest part and not helping the OP and his challenge. "Spready- thingy", really?
Yeah that wasn't... yeah.. Well, I apreciate the thought thou Maybe because I mentioned that I'm rather new with this and that? But when it comes to thinkering and mending things, that I've done the last 12-13 years now, so that's no worries for me.
post #8 of 26 (permalink) Old 05-26-2017, 09:51 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Djdavies View Post
Well...we're still waiting for your contribution to the issue. Since you have no problem with the critique, I can't wait to see your solution.

I've never done the mod personally, however I do have a friend that did end-mirrors, I'll try and see what he did to make things work. Perhaps that may appease the peanut gallery.
Lyoko likes this.

"Ride Safe, Chop Safer" Motorcycles are not unsafe. However; they are extremely unforgiving of inattention, incompetence, ignorance, and stupidity.
http://shadow-shack.20m.com
post #9 of 26 (permalink) Old 05-26-2017, 11:08 AM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by shortyg83 View Post
Besides, did you try on the throttle side as well?? Same problem there, or was there even more with the throttle handle itself?
post #10 of 26 (permalink) Old 05-26-2017, 01:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadow Shack View Post
Well...we're still waiting for your contribution to the issue. Since you have no problem with the critique, I can't wait to see your solution.

I've never done the mod personally, however I do have a friend that did end-mirrors, I'll try and see what he did to make things work. Perhaps that may appease the peanut gallery.
The problem is your video does not apply to the original post at all.

Hondas handle bars have metal caps at the end of them. The OP was asking if there was any way around this, and you posted a terrible how to video on to put bar end mirrors on a bike that doesn't have end caps.

The hondas have a welded cap in the bar. So unless you drill or hammer it out you need to replace the bars.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page