Wanting to change the handlebars, need specs? - Honda Rebel 300 & 500 Forum
 14Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 23 (permalink) Old 05-18-2017, 06:44 PM Thread Starter

Question Wanting to change the handlebars, need specs?

I've been wanting to change out the handle bars for some biltwell z bars and wanting to know the handle bar diameter? Also would I need to extend the brake lines and cables? (see picture for the same bar on a sportster). Supposedly on the HD Sportster they do not need to get any extended lines for the same bar, not sure if the Honda Rebel will be the same.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	155852.png
Views:	4084
Size:	840.0 KB
ID:	826  

Oklahoma
post #2 of 23 (permalink) Old 05-18-2017, 07:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rising Sun View Post
I've been wanting to change out the handle bars for some biltwell z bars and wanting to know the handle bar diameter? Also would I need to extend the brake lines and cables? (see picture for the same bar on a sportster). Supposedly on the HD Sportster they do not need to get any extended lines for the same bar, not sure if the Honda Rebel will be the same.
It is a 1" diameter bar.
If the bars are not over high or wide you shouldn't need to change cables since the current bars have a similar shape and are probably wider than the ones you are looking at.
post #3 of 23 (permalink) Old 05-18-2017, 09:26 PM

Wink

Quote:
You will be banished from this site if you don't post pics when you're done. I've been browsing around too, and have been looking at one similar.
post #4 of 23 (permalink) Old 05-22-2017, 09:40 PM

Same here. Just FYI.... both J&P Cycles and Revzilla incorrectly list the Bars as 7/8". When you select 1" bars (or risers) the website says "DOES NOT FIT YOUR BIKE".

Apparently the older Rebels used 7/8"... and the companies haven't updated their info for the new Rebels yet.

I have personally verified this as I'm sitting here looking at some cool 7/8 bars on my couch that aren't even close to the ones on my 500...

If the cables DO need to be longer after the handlebar switch... does anyone know if there are any generic cables that would work ? Or would they need to be Honda-specific ?
post #5 of 23 (permalink) Old 05-22-2017, 09:45 PM Thread Starter

If anyone is curious, I orders Biltwell Keystone Z Bars 1 inch dia. (smooth, no dimples)for around $114. These are very popular with HD sportsters. My handlebars should come in sometime next week, so I will keep everyone posted.
post #6 of 23 (permalink) Old 10-12-2017, 09:11 PM

Garage
Quote:
If anyone is curious, I orders Biltwell Keystone Z Bars 1 inch dia. (smooth, no dimples)for around $114. These are very popular with HD sportsters. My handlebars should come in sometime next week, so I will keep everyone posted.
So what happened? Did you like the bars??
post #7 of 23 (permalink) Old 01-10-2018, 06:19 PM

I bought 4" pullback risers and brought them to Honda dealer for install. They told me no cable extensions were available and they would have to make them, $800, going to be searching myself, good luck
post #8 of 23 (permalink) Old 01-10-2018, 06:49 PM

Garage
John,

IIRC Barnett Clutches still makes custom length cables. I bought a clutch cable for a Suzuki several years ago for $30.00....

Kenny G
post #9 of 23 (permalink) Old 01-10-2018, 08:26 PM

Garage
John

Genuine Barnett Cables

Kenny G
post #10 of 23 (permalink) Old 01-11-2018, 11:30 AM
Super Moderator

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by John View Post
I bought 4" pullback risers and brought them to Honda dealer for install. They told me no cable extensions were available and they would have to make them, $800, going to be searching myself, good luck
That is correct. Ain't any cables out there that you can just buy and plug and play. They have to be custom made on demand.

Lyoko - Black Rebel 500

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page